2020 General MLB off-season

Mo Horn

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

kettle pot.

Not really.  Other than the cheating thing, nobody really cares.  Take this from someone who doesn't live in Katy.  That goes for all Houston teams.  Nobody hates the Texans, Stros or Rockets.  Flyover city.  Other Texas teams?  Sure. 

Look how much I don't care while I troll in the Astros thread.  You're the one who cares not me!!  LOOK AT HOW MUCH I AM NOT CARING WHILE I KEEP POSTING ABOUT THIS TOPIC LALALALALA

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Very, very ironic that you laugh about that. I can think of a certain 100% inevitable scenario later this year that you have no control over and can do nothing about, yet you bitch about more than anyone on the board. I’ll just say it rhymes with “pee-erection”. 

I have a personal question for you. Did you get this upset about Yankee cheating?

45 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The most butthurt fanbase in all of this is the Astros fanbase, and you’re leading the charge. No one is whining and complaining about any of this more than you.

The best part of this thing is this title stiffened the nipples of all of the Houston sports fans dying to be accepted as a great sports town. The Cinderella ‘Houston Strong’ story ended up being a huge farce. Now Houston sports fans are standing in a ball room for a party they threw for themselves holding Jordan-less basketball trophies and a World Series title they cheated to win while pretending they aren’t upset no one else showed up to the party. 

• Like 4

Two questions for the non-Astros fans: why is Altuve seemingly receiving so much more hate than the other players?  Sure seemed like the fake Beltran niece thing stirred up some emotions that have never subsided.  Correa and Bregman have much more aggressive personalities and have both admitted to using the scheme, yet the hate is still spewing for Altuve.  The Zapruder analysis of his Chapman bomb is one of the most absurd things I've seen in my years following sports.

And why is there not more public vitriol towards Marwin, someone who 1) had an outlier career year in 2017, 2) was shown to be the most frequent cheater by that Twitter user's analysis, and 3) directly got a big payday as a result.  From this biased Astros fan's eye, it appears that once you leave the Astros you are no longer a target for public scorn.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Two questions for the non-Astros fans: why is Altuve seemingly receiving so much more hate than the other players?  Sure seemed like the fake Beltran niece thing stirred up some emotions that have never subsided.  Correa and Bregman have much more aggressive personalities and have both admitted to using the scheme, yet the hate is still spewing for Altuve.  The Zapruder analysis of his Chapman bomb is one of the most absurd things I've seen in my years following sports.

And why is there not more public vitriol towards Marwin, someone who 1) had an outlier career year in 2017, 2) was shown to be the most frequent cheater by that Twitter user's analysis, and 3) directly got a big payday as a result.  From this biased Astros fan's eye, it appears that once you leave the Astros you are no longer a target for public scorn.

They’re all hated equally. You see what you want to see. Poor little Altuve is just a victim in this whole thing. Imagine having a wife so controlling she won’t even let you show off your sweet new ink after a pennant clinching home run! And screw those teammates of his for banging on that trash can without his consent for, at least, 19 different home games. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Constant said:

They’re all hated equally. You see what you want to see. Poor little Altuve is just a victim in this whole thing. Imagine having a wife so controlling she won’t even let you show off your sweet new ink after a pennant clinching home run! And screw those teammates of his for banging on that trash can without his consent for, at least, 19 different home games. 

No one is a victim. Stop it. It's baseball.

44 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I think most people are equally disgusted by everyone within the Astros organization during the 2017-2018 seasons. Altuve is no better or worse than anyone else from those teams. They all cheated at times, they all knew what was happening, no one stopped it. Even if you buy Correa's story that Altuve didn't like the trashcan banging, Altuve knew about it and was complicit in it. They all were, even Mike Fiers.

3 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I think most people are equally disgusted by everyone within the Astros organization during the 2017-2018 seasons. Altuve is no better or worse than anyone else from those teams. They all cheated at times, they all knew what was happening, no one stopped it. Even if you buy Correa's story that Altuve didn't like the trashcan banging, Altuve knew about it and was complicit in it. They all were, even Mike Fiers.

I don’t think this is true. Sounds nice though. 

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Altuve won the MVP in 2017 and has been the face of the franchise.  He's an easy target because of that.  His MVP is now a joke too.

The best part of this thing is this title stiffened the nipples of all of the Houston sports fans dying to be accepted as a great sports town. The Cinderella ‘Houston Strong’ story ended up being a huge farce. Now Houston sports fans are standing in a ball room for a party they threw for themselves holding Jordan-less basketball trophies and a World Series title they cheated to win while pretending they aren’t upset no one else showed up to the party. 

Am I taking crazy pills?

Mr. “thin blue line” cop defender himself is crying about injustice? The same arrogant fuckface who assured everyone that HPD and Art fucking Acevedo’s actions in the Harding Street raid were all above board, and then scurried off in silence when the shit started hitting the fan. But wait, there’s more.

Fans of other teams, including the Rangers, can rightfully say whatever they want about the 2017 World Series. But there’s no way in hell that I’m going to listen to a motherfucking sooner lecture me about fair play. Take your righteous indignation and shove it straight up your sanctimonious ass you hypocritical windbag.

Peel the bark off of you to get down to your sooner essence, and what’s left? That’s right, a fucking cheater.

Everyone else can continue wailing and gnashing teeth if they want, but you sir, can kindly go fuck yourself.
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Altuve won the MVP in 2017 and has been the face of the franchise.  He's an easy target because of that.  His MVP is now a joke too.

The list of joke MVPs over the last two decades is long and distinguished.

Ivan Rodriguez holla!

Edited by David Dennison

And in other Brewers news, Yelich is back in LF. 

It was always going to be interesting to see how the Brewers and Craig Counsell mapped out playing time in the outfield after signing Avisail Garcia to a multi-year contract.

Now, with position players reporting to spring training today, we’re hearing what the (initial) plan is.

In a bit of a surprise move, Counsell says Christian Yelich will be moving out of right field — the position he’s largely played since coming to Milwaukee — and will be moving to left field, where he spent much of his time with the Miami Marlins. Garcia will largely play right field, with Ryan Braun also moving back to right while also giving first base another try.

Just how much time Braun ends up spending there — considering his rotating schedule of off days and Lorenzo Cain’s apparent impending increase in rest — still remains to be seen. But as he reported to camp today, Braun said he at least feels better about playing first base than he did two years ago, when he first tried it in the name of helping the team while also making it clear he wasn’t comfortable.

The Brewers first tried to move Braun to first base — or at least make it a part of his playing time plan — in 2018, when Domingo Santana was coming off a 30-home run season and the team added Cain and Yelich in the offseason. That experiment proved to be short-lived for a couple of reasons — mainly, Santana’s horrible slump to start that season that landed him on the bench, and Jesus Aguilar’s breakout All-Star campaign that lessened the need for Braun to serve as the right-handed complement to Eric Thames — and we never got to truly gauge how well Braun took to the position.

Adding an inexperienced Braun to an already shaky defensive infield mix might be a cause for concern, but — similar to the team’s experimentation with Travis Shaw and Mike Moustakas at second base — there’s no doubt it sets up the best possible offensive lineup if he can at least be passable defensively. Considering the other options for the position, it may be the team’s best bet to putting together an above-average offense.

As far as the other parts of the outfield equation go, the left-to-right alignment of Yelich-Cain-Garcia would give the Brewers an above-average defensive outfield, which could prove to be more valuable than an above-average infield, given the current focus on hitting the ball in the air.

Yelich played left field a fair amount for the Brewers in 2018 before ultimately settling into right on a fairly permanent basis. He was a legitimately good defensive left fielder for the Marlins, though, grading out at +32 Defensive Runs Saved combined from 2014-2016. Cain has been worth +40 DRS during the last two years (an even +20 in each season), while Garcia was worth +3 DRS in right field for Tampa Bay last year. What Garcia may lack in defensive range, he makes up with a very strong arm.

Add in Ben Gamel as the primary backup (+5 DRS last year combined over all three positions) and — brace yourself — defense in the outfield may actually be a strength of the Milwaukee Brewers.

So if the line is drawn at “didn’t stop it” rather than “actively participated,” then these suspension conversations become interesting. I mean, obviously the majority of the current Astros would be suspended. As would Marwin. And 2 of the top 4 Mets OF. And the Blue Jays starting DH and RF. Pirates starting 3B. Angels backup C. But again, as Fiers said, “we cheated as a team” and we’ve established that active participation wasn’t a requirement, so pitchers have to be included too. Charlie Morton had just as many opportunities to put an end to it as Altuve did, so the Rays lose their ace. Keuchel leaves the White Sox with a hole in their rotation. The Pirates lose a starter. Nationals have to go without Will Harris. Blue Jays need a new closer. But wait, the commissioner’s report says the banging continued into 2018 and only stopped once it was deemed ineffective... I can think of one certain pitcher that showed up in 2018 and there are no indications he tried to stop it. Bet jomboy would change his tune real quick if “not stopping it” was the only qualification for suspension.

The “PLAYERS NEED TO BE PUNISHED” bravado is fun for some fans to hear, but it’s obviously not something many people have actually tried to logistically figure out.

39 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So if the line is drawn at “didn’t stop it” rather than “actively participated,” then these suspension conversations become interesting. I mean, obviously the majority of the current Astros would be suspended. As would Marwin. And 2 of the top 4 Mets OF. And the Blue Jays starting DH and RF. Pirates starting 3B. Angels backup C. But again, as Fiers said, “we cheated as a team” and we’ve established that active participation wasn’t a requirement, so pitchers have to be included too. Charlie Morton had just as many opportunities to put an end to it as Altuve did, so the Rays lose their ace. Keuchel leaves the White Sox with a hole in their rotation. The Pirates lose a starter. Nationals have to go without Will Harris. Blue Jays need a new closer. But wait, the commissioner’s report says the banging continued into 2018 and only stopped once it was deemed ineffective... I can think of one certain pitcher that showed up in 2018 and there are no indications he tried to stop it. Bet jomboy would change his tune real quick if “not stopping it” was the only qualification for suspension.

The “PLAYERS NEED TO BE PUNISHED” bravado is fun for some fans to hear, but it’s obviously not something many people have actually tried to logistically figure out.

Plus, MLB isn't going to do anything that will antagonize the union with the CBA expiring before next season. There might not even be baseball in 2021.

• Jeff PassanESPN
  •  
  •  

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- This being Florida, and Florida being the cradle of American absurdity, the sight of a man peeling off his shirt, walking to a place where he was guaranteed to be noticed, pirouetting to show off the tattoo on his left collarbone, slipping on a new shirt and slinking away, satisfied, mission accomplished, felt entirely appropriate. Actually, that's a lie. What Jose Altuve did Monday morning in front of a group of reporters was spectacular even by Florida's standards. This is the Houston Astros' existence. They have morphed into such a circus, such a far-fetched big top, that they are seeing Florida and telling it to hold their Shiner Bock.

The insertion of ink into this spectacle came Saturday, when Astros shortstop Carlos Correa told MLB Network that Altuve did not want his jersey ripped off after hitting a pennant-winning home run last year because a) his wife did not like when teammates did that and, b) he didn't want to show a bad tattoo. As chef's kiss as it would have been for Altuve's tattoo to say NO RAGRETS, alas it was something far more innocent: Melanie, the name of his 3-year-old daughter, next to a pink heart.

This did not exactly fit Correa's description of bad tattoo, but taste is relative -- and Altuve later admitted that the original version of the tattoo he got in San Francisco last fall during a road series needed touching up, which seemed to intimate that Version 1.0 was indeed bad. The capital "M" did match the sliver of a letter that peeked out from under Altuve's jersey at times during the 2019 postseason, nullifying yet another conspiracy theory: that Altuve had gotten the tattoo over the weekend to corroborate Correa's story. This is where we are.

Less than a week into spring training, life with the Astros and all that orbits around their sign-stealing scandal is a witch's brew of ludicrous, sad, darkly humorous and tedious. The monotony of a typical spring has been replaced by the predictability of another big-name player lobbing a Sequoia's worth of shade at the Astros. Monday included Mike Trout, universally regarded as the best player in the baseball and the game's ostensible face, calling it "sad for baseball."

"When is it going to end?" one Astros player asked Monday, and the answer depressed him: No time soon.

And that's less because of amusing little sub-stories, like the Altuve tattoo, and more due to the runaway-train nature of the fallout from Houston's cheating in 2017 and 2018. There is anger, inside the sport and out, and it is the most intransigent sort: righteous, moral, vitriolic. The Astros and Major League Baseball have tried to stanch the bleeding and instead have only deepened the wound through a combination of ill-conceived words, questionable accountability and disproportionate punishment.

What makes this calamity so fascinating are the many layers to this lack of punishment, which in recent days has been as prevalent a complaint from players as any. That in and of itself is fascinating -- the almost self-selected bifurcation of the MLB Players' Association into 1,160 players on one side and the 40 Houston Astros on the other -- but lost amid the criticism of the players and commissioner Rob Manfred's grant of immunity is an important truth.

It's a dissatisfying one, too, for those who see the incongruity in Manfred's report calling the trash-can thwaps a "player-driven scheme" and then not disciplining the players in any form. Player-on-player crime and bad press conferences and telestrator breakdowns of tattoos are one thing. Entirely different is how the case wends its way into the murky waters of labor law, and how the decision to ignore an email placed baseball in such a precarious place.

Flash back to Sept. 15, 2017. The Boston Red Sox had been caught decoding sign sequences in their video room and using a cellphone to pass them along to those on the bench via Apple Watch. MLB fined the Red Sox -- players escaped discipline from that episode, too -- and sent a memo to all 30 teams. The memo, according to sources, included a line that said: "Finally, each Club's General Manager and Field Manager will be held accountable for ensuring that the rules outlined in this memorandum are followed by players and Club personnel."

This is a vitally important sentence, because with it MLB placed the onus on teams -- and, in the Astros' case, general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch -- to alert players that they would face discipline if caught using technology to steal signs. During MLB's investigation into the Astros' sign stealing, the league learned, according to a report Manfred issued in January, that "Luhnow failed to take any adequate steps to ensure that his Club was in compliance with the rules." Similarly, players interviewed said Hinch had not informed them of the potential for discipline.

In doing so, the players had not received proper notice required by employers to union employees subject to actionable discipline. Notice is a key tenet of labor law, and without it, the standing of any potential discipline is flimsy.

Now, it's more than reasonable to suggest that MLB's incentive for offering immunity to players had as much to do with its desire for an expedient decision as it did the lack of notice. The sooner the league wrapped up its investigation, the sooner Manfred could issue his report. The sooner Manfred issued his report, the sooner the embarrassment of a World Series champion cheating could be put to bed.

What the league didn't figure was that indemnifying players would cause as severe a backlash as it has. The reality is MLB faced a Catch-22. To illustrate that, consider an alternative course of action in which the league, believing that the on-the-record statements of Mike Fiers to The Athletic, the surfeit of video evidence confirming the banging scheme and the testimony of front-office officials, Hinch and coaches, would be enough to make a strong case, sought discipline against the players.

There are two tracks here to understand. The first is the extent of such discipline. "I am a precedent guy," Manfred said at a press conference Sunday, and what he means by that is the league's discipline almost always adheres to prior standards. One could argue, fairly, that a disgraced World Series champion warrants a deviation from precedent, but then the ability for that to hold up in a grievance hearing that players surely would have pursued makes any discipline tenuous. Because the sign stealing and trash-can banging would be considered an on-field issue, and on-field issues rarely involve long suspensions, Manfred would have been hemmed in by how potentially minimal the suspensions he pursued would actually be.

Even more crucial would be the aforementioned lack of notice. Four labor lawyers with first-hand knowledge of the grievance process agreed: The lack of notice from the Astros to their players would have made any case pursued by the league practically DOA. Yes, grievance hearings do now and again end with surprising results, but the probability tilted significantly toward any potential suspension being overturned, the lawyers said.

Facing that reality, the league made a value judgment: It would offer the players immunity in hopes of gathering the full story of the Astros' sign-stealing exploits and rely upon the details of Manfred's report to bend the public toward the idea that the league had sought and delivered justice.

Even if this was the best of a bad situation, it has backfired catastrophically. The outspokenness of players, whose own union agreed to give Astros players immunity, has been unwavering and unflattering. The Astros players, amid apologies that in many cases offered contrition, have been steadfast in the belief that they did not deserve discipline. The league, recognizing the futility of trotting out a legal argument to satiate the frothing masses, has instead tried to rely upon Manfred to douse a multitude of brushfires.

In some cases, the effort has been practical, but a lesson learned in times of crisis is that even the slightest misstep can color the intentions. During an interview Sunday, ESPN's Karl Ravech asked Manfred about the possibility of stripping the Astros of their title. In the middle of his slippery-slope defense, Manfred said: "The idea of an asterisk or asking for a piece of metal back seems like a futile act."

The blowback against Manfred was immediate. To trivialize a championship by calling it a piece of metal at a moment when everything he says will be dissected, when his motivations and intentions are in question, when his sport is in peril, gave a tanker truck of fuel to those who already think ill of him because he wants to change the game's playoff structure and contract a quarter of the minor leagues.

Fair or not, all of these things are inextricably tied together, because Manfred is supposed to be the sport's shepherd and his positions on those ancillary issues inform the public's opinion of him. A strong commissioner can guide a sport through a crisis. A weak commissioner can exacerbate it

Manfred's ultimate story is far from told. He can rescue his reputation and tilt this scandal away from catastrophe, but it is not entirely in his hands. The league's report on the allegations that the Red Sox stole signs electronically in 2018 is imminent. Alex Cora, the former Red Sox manager and Astros bench coach, likely will face discipline. He has yet to tell his story publicly. Neither has Carlos Beltran, the former Astros player whom Manfred's report said teamed up with Cora to implement the trash-can scheme.

All of that is to come. On Monday, the story was far less serious, silly even. Jose Altuve had a tattoo. What it might lack in beauty it makes up for in sentimentality. After Altuve finished his media availability and changed, there was a clang. A small fire extinguisher on the wall adjacent to his locker had fallen to the ground. Though it was unclear whether Altuve or a nearby cameraman had knocked it over, the metaphor wasn't lost on anyone. Monday may not have required its use, but there are plenty of brushfires to come yet.

3 hours ago, Player said:

Am I taking crazy pills?

Mr. “thin blue line” cop defender himself is crying about injustice? The same arrogant fuckface who assured everyone that HPD and Art fucking Acevedo’s actions in the Harding Street raid were all above board, and then scurried off in silence when the shit started hitting the fan. But wait, there’s more.

Fans of other teams, including the Rangers, can rightfully say whatever they want about the 2017 World Series. But there’s no way in hell that I’m going to listen to a motherfucking sooner lecture me about fair play. Take your righteous indignation and shove it straight up your sanctimonious ass you hypocritical windbag.

Peel the bark off of you to get down to your sooner essence, and what’s left? That’s right, a fucking cheater.

Everyone else can continue wailing and gnashing teeth if they want, but you sir, can kindly go fuck yourself.

My, my a bit nerve’y, eh? You’ve rung this bell regarding that thread a few times now, so I guess I’ll respond to it. I posted in that thread exactly four times in the first couple of pages. One was saying I knew an injured officer involved, a ‘your mom’ joke that wasn’t funny, and two general descriptions of what a search warrant would contain regarding a narcotics UC situation- all of which were posted before that shit went all sideways. I never once defended HPD, Art, or anyone else involved. I simply stopped posting about it due to me being connected to it through a party that was involved(as I always should). 

If Astros fans like yourself are going to actually revel in your heel turn, you’re gonna need some thicker skin. 

Edited by Constant
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, Constant said:

My, my a bit nerve’y, eh? You’ve rung this bell regarding that thread a few times now, so I guess I’ll respond to it. I posted in that thread exactly four times in the first couple of pages. One was saying I knew an injured officer involved, a ‘your mom’ joke that wasn’t funny, and two general descriptions of what a search warrant would contain regarding a narcotics UC situation- all of which were posted before that shit went all sideways. I never once defended HPD, Art, or anyone else involved. I simply stopped posting about it due to me being connected to it through a party that was involved(as I always should). 

If Astros fans like yourself are going to actually revel in your heel turn, you’re gonna need some thicker skin. 

Not really the thread for it, but I'm not letting that one slide. You're a liar. And a hypocrite to boot. 

Go fuck yourself. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

This is fucking crazy:

https://medium.com/@wmstine92/jose-altuve-and-the-presumption-of-guilt-11754355e65d

Also, that fucking poll is absurd.  "We are going to discuss something as a fact for months and then act surprised when our audience believes the thing we have been talking about."

Edited by Chuckie Finster

On the buzzer thing...am i correct that this is only a thing because a fake twitter account said that Altuve and Gleyber Torres used buzzers? 

Like, there is absolutely no other reason that this is even a talking point, correct? Fiers didn't say this, the report didn't mention this, nobody has video or any other evidence - just a fake twitter thing? 

This is all you need to know to understand that this entire thing has become incredibly absurd. And of course 86% of people think buzzers happened - because these baseball writers keep talking about it, despite there literally being no evidence of it. 

48 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

lol, Dusty Baker basically just gave him the "OK cool, hook 'em":

Spoiler

Asked about Markakis' comments, Astros manager Dusty Baker replied: "That's cool. I ain't commenting on everybody's comments. Go ahead. You want to beat on us, go ahead."

Edited by Hank Chinaski

4 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

On the buzzer thing...am i correct that this is only a thing because a fake twitter account said that Altuve and Gleyber Torres used buzzers? 

Manfred said MLB was aware of the buzzer allegations -- that includes the video of Jose Altuve refusing to remove his jersey following his ALCS walk-off home run -- before the garbage can investigation. 

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Manfred said MLB was aware of the buzzer allegations -- that includes the video of Jose Altuve refusing to remove his jersey following his ALCS walk-off home run -- before the garbage can investigation.

OK...I suppose it didn't go into the nature of the "allegations"...are we considering refusal to remove a jersey "evidence"? 

22 hours ago, David Dennison said:

The former. Because that's how serious this is, meaning it isn't.

It's sign stealing. That's why the Astros got a slap on the wrist from the commissioner. It doesn't warrant anything more and the overreaction to this whole affair is laughable.

Yeah, I don't think you understand what "disingenuous" means.  So you answered my question, but probably not in the manner you intended.

On 2/15/2020 at 9:37 PM, txhorns said:

I mean you've got a bunch of guys who have literally spent thousands of hours to reach a goal, something that they have dreamed about all of their lives and they now feel like it was ripped away from them.  How do you expect them to act?

They should start by looking in their own dugout before dumping their purse out.

Their 2018 MVP teammate wore an electronic buzzer on his wrist.  He and Dodger Price both have rings from the season they stole signs and wore electronic buzzers.

Easy to see why the Dodgers will never win it all, too many pussies in the locker room.  Will be great to seem them fail again.