2020 General MLB off-season

Mo Horn

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, I was being a little hyperbolic. But people actually care about NFL picks. Astros' players getting immunity is a joke.

And, unless you have LeBron James in your team, you're 100% wrong about NBA coaches. There's actual schemes, philosophies, and X's and O's. Look no further than Steve Kerr taking over for Mark Jackson.

Explain Luke Walton having the best start in NBA history when he took over for Kerr. Who is to say what Mark Jackson would have been able to do as time went on. They were still getting heir feet wet when he was there and he was building the foundation. 2014-15 was the year the Warriors were going to hit their peak and start their run regardless of the coach. If Kerr was there in those early years, he would not have had any more success than Jackson had.

Edited by Vic Mackey

8 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

The astros thread is full aggy now

That would be this thread and the Aggys in it claiming Vince’s knee was down and the 05’ title is tainted. 

Joe G just said all you need to know about the “scandal” when he just explained their system for stealing signs durning live play. 

Your move Judge Roid. 

50 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Explain Luke Walton having the best start in NBA history when he took over for Kerr. Who is to say what Mark Jackson would have been able to do as time went on. They were still getting heir feet wet when he was there and he was building the foundation. 2014-15 was the year the Warriors were going to hit their peak and start their run regardless of the coach. If Kerr was there in those early years, he would not have had any more success than Jackson had.

When Luke Walton temporarily took over Kerr's philosophies and schemes that were already well-established? Shut up, Vic.

Mark Jackson ran an inside-out iso-heavy scheme around Jermaine fucking O'Neal. Kerr took over and, in one offseason, built the offense around Steph, took them from almost dead last in passes per game to the top of the league. They also were 1st in points per out-of-bounds and after timeout plays in Kerr's first year. It was fucking night and day.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Vic's just being Vic.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 3

Some organizations might be aided by their own limitations. The video room at Oakland Coliseum resides a significant distance from the dugout, former Athletics pitcher Brett Anderson mentioned.

“I know the A’s weren’t cheating,” said Anderson, who signed with Milwaukee this winter. “Because, one, I don’t know if they could afford it. And to relay from fucking 300 yards away in the video room? What were we going to do, get some vendor to throw some popcorn up in the air, or something? It’s too fucking far to relay something.”

Anderson joked the only way for Oakland to communicate would be through the ballpark’s decaying infrastructure. “The lights go out, it’s a curveball,” Anderson said. “If there’s a sewage backup, it’s a fastball.”

lulz

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Why not just implement a 3 year post season ban of the Astros? Until 2023 or whatever but Is there anything the players union can do about that?

I don't expect much from Mr. Holocaust here, but it is shocking to me how much people struggle with logistically comprehending why the league will never do a team-wide postseason ban. 

Do you understand the point of a union?  More than 60% of the current Astros roster were not on the team in 2017.  Preventing them from earning potential bonuses or incentives that were written into their contract would lead to court battles.  What if a player is traded to the Astros this year?  

If the union balked at punishing actual guilty players, no way would they ever agree to punish players who had nothing to do with it.

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I don't expect much from Mr. Holocaust here, but it is shocking to me how much people struggle with logistically comprehending why the league will never do a team-wide postseason ban. 

Do you understand the point of a union?  More than 60% of the current Astros roster were not on the team in 2017.  Preventing them from earning potential bonuses or incentives that were written into their contract would lead to court battles.  What if a player is traded to the Astros this year?  

If the union balked at punishing actual guilty players, no way would they ever agree to punish players who had nothing to do with it.

Require the astros to pay all incentives and bonuses written into those contracts as if houston won the world series. 

You're right, it will never happen. Tail wags the dog in baseball. 

5 minutes ago, pops said:

Require the astros to pay all incentives and bonuses written into those contracts as if houston won the world series. 

You're right, it will never happen. Tail wags the dog in baseball. 

I doubt Manfred views a lawsuit from a pissed off owner as a preferable situation to dealing with the Union.

59 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Why not just implement a 3 year post season ban of the Astros? Until 2023 or whatever but Is there anything the players union can do about that?

Owners are not going to agree to a punishment that threatens revenue from ticket sales and playoff appearances. If if can happen to one team, it can happen to any of them. They know that.

Edited by David Dennison

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

Would you have advocated for a 3 year ban of the 1951 Giants?  Is that a reasonable question or am I being obtuse?

Owners are not going to agree to a punishment that threatens revenue from ticket sales and playoff appearances. If if can happen to one team, it can happen to any of them. They know that.

Which it is why it’s a good actual punishment instead of the bullshit punishment they got. It hurts the players(player driven scheme) on the team who committed and were disciplined for these actions. It was a franchise wide scheme so it also punishes the franchise. Players still get immunity and earn checks for the seasons. It also sets precedent going forward that if you do this, this will be the punishment. There is no precedent for these actions and they also implement it for the upcoming Red Sox punishment as well.

I am ready to just move on from this.  The punishment is simple- the Astros' only championship is irreparably tainted.  Astros fans can yell and scream that it is not, and that's fine.  It is in the eyes of most other people.  Manfred came out and admitted that yes, they were using this scheme in the 2017 playoffs.  Had they not been, do they still beat the Yankees?  Or the Dodgers?  Maybe.  But maybe not.  And therein lies the taint, so to speak.  They have to wear it, like it or not.  

Now time for the Dodgers to close the deal.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Which it is why it’s a good actual punishment instead of the bullshit punishment they got. It hurts the players(player driven scheme) on the team who committed and were disciplined for these actions. It was a franchise wide scheme so it also punishes the franchise. Players still get immunity and earn checks for the seasons. It also sets precedent going forward that if you do this, this will be the punishment. There is no precedent for these actions and they also implement it for the upcoming Red Sox punishment as well.

Again, you just don't get it.  None of the professional sports in the USA will EVER ban a team from the postseason.  This isn't college.  These are professional athletes who have signed contracts and belong to a union, not amateur athletes.  

The discussions of punishment for the active participants is a conversation at least worth having.  But any punishment that affects players who were not even on the team (or in the league!) when the incident occurred will forever be a non-starter, no matter how bad /r/baseball wants it to be true.

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I am ready to just move on from this.  The punishment is simple- the Astros' only championship is irreparably tainted.  Astros fans can yell and scream that it is not, and that's fine.  It is in the eyes of most other people.  Manfred came out and admitted that yes, they were using this scheme in the 2017 playoffs.  Had they not been, do they still beat the Yankees?  Or the Dodgers?  Maybe.  But maybe not.  And therein lies the taint, so to speak.  They have to wear it, like it or not.  

Now time for the Dodgers to close the deal.  

So what?

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

None of that ever bothered me. He is the all time leader, the single season leader, and he should be in the hall of fame.

That says so much.  The only part of that I agree with is he should be in the HOF..  By any means necessary, eh?

On 2/21/2020 at 11:22 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

Maybe if we get discovery during a lawsuit against the Astros and we can have all of the Dodger hitters deposed. Ask them under oath if they ever attempted to relay a stolen sign to a hitter during live play regardless of method. 

chapelle show pleading the fifth GIF

If they're on 2nd base and do it that is part of the game. That is a way every team tries to get signs from their opponent. Using technology is a bridge too far. I am okay with any team who has done it having that season's win and losses stricken from the official record. Like Joe Girardi I do not think the punishment handed down is any kind of deterrent. I cannot make Manfred do the right thing, nor can anyone else. He botched this badly and that's kind of it for now. 

I love the game and want to see a great season of baseball up in the Bronx. Hopefully we never see any teams participate in something like this again.