2020 General MLB off-season

Mo Horn

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You guys are like the plastics from mean girls, surly version. Can’t let anyone sit at your lunch table. I welcome any and everyone interested in baseball.

I see you're not familiar with Scmitty/TBS.  This is his 4th or 5th username on Surly.  He keeps getting crowdsourced for being a cunt and reregisters with new names.  

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I see you're not familiar with Scmitty/TBS.  This is his 4th or 5th username on Surly.  He keeps getting crowdsourced for being a cunt and reregisters with new names.  

Yeah none of those usernames ring a bell. I saw the BYU avatar and assumed he was just a good-hearted Mormon trying to make friends. 

On 4/4/2020 at 5:34 PM, Beau Vine said:

The Rockies really have to be the most frustrating franchise in MLB.  27 years without a division title.  15 years with Dan O'Dowd running the franchise rudderlessly.  Then Bridich seemed to have the resume to be the anti-O'Dowd, but there was literally no one but Ian Desmond's agent who thought that signing was a good idea.    

Try being a Mariners fan pal.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Pasken said:

The only part of this plan that isn’t stupid is the electronic strike zone.

It took a pandemic to implement something they’ve been talking about for almost 10 years lol.

53 minutes ago, WBT said:

No, that also is stupid.

Not a fan of the electronic strike zone idea? Are you a human error guy, or is there another reason?

Why is this so stupid?  Is it worse than just giving up on a season?  I heard Stephen A. Smith talking about what a hardship it would be for the players to be away from home for 4.5 months.   I’m sure they will find a way to deal.  Especially as restrictions begin to relax.  

We need baseball.   The country needs something as a fresh diversion.   Get the guys on the field and play games that matter.     

58 minutes ago, Js1 said:

a good chunk of Astros have newborns or very young kids. I’m sure they’re all about leaving their families for 4.5 months and possibly be exposed 

Jeff Passan did an interview about that topic this morning. He said he interviewed an anonymous superstar about this situation and he said “no way in hell am I leaving my family.” Then he called him back the next day and the guy said “actually I talked to my wife, and we agreed. If it means not having to give up a years worth of salary, than she’s ok with me playing.”

With that being said, I don’t see how they could keep playing if even one player tests positive after they start. Very interesting...

Edited by youdunnf'dup

56 minutes ago, Js1 said:

a good chunk of Astros have newborns or very young kids. I’m sure they’re all about leaving their families for 4.5 months and possibly be exposed 

Maybe. But I do know they’re all about the money. And they need to play to get paid. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Maybe. But I do know they’re all about the money. And they need to play to get paid. 

Since it will probably be empty stadiums anyway, they could play the season in spring training facilities.  That would minimize player travel.  Families can live in FL/AZ for the summer.  Test players daily.  Play it as Grapefruit and Cactus instead of AL and NL.  No interleague play.  WS is grapefruit vs cactus played in the teams' MLB stadiums.

58 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Since it will probably be empty stadiums anyway, they could play the season in spring training facilities.  That would minimize player travel.  Families can live in FL/AZ for the summer.  Test players daily.  Play it as Grapefruit and Cactus instead of AL and NL.  No interleague play.  WS is grapefruit vs cactus played in the teams' MLB stadiums.

They'are already talking about doing mostly that.  

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Combination of human error and skepticism that any system will be reliable and fast enough.  And general skepticism of anything that Manfred is trying to use the pandemic to get rammed through.

A good idea doesn’t care who has it. And it’s not like electronic strike zones are the brainchild of Manfred.

The question is not if the robo strikezone is going to be perfect, the question is will the robo strikezone be more accurate than the human umpires (yes, undoubtably. Not sure how you’re even debating that). And will the robo strikezone ever try to make the game about them and eject someone when it gets its feelings hurt(no, it won’t).

3 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Since it will probably be empty stadiums anyway, they could play the season in spring training facilities.  That would minimize player travel.  Families can live in FL/AZ for the summer. 

Literally almost half of the players in the league already own a house in Arizona.  Most of MLB owns a house where their team plays and a smaller one where their team does spring training. 

3 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Jeff Passan did an interview about that topic this morning. He said he interviewed an anonymous superstar about this situation and he said “no way in hell am I leaving my family.” Then he called him back the next day and the guy said “actually I talked to my wife, and we agreed. If it means not having to give up a years worth of salary, than she’s ok with me playing.”

With that being said, I don’t see how they could keep playing if even one player tests positive after they start. Very interesting...

Baseball just started back up in Korea. I'm going to assume MLB and most of the major sports are going to be keeping a close eye on how they're handling the situation. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

A good idea doesn’t care who has it. And it’s not like electronic strike zones are the brainchild of Manfred.

The question is not if the robo strikezone is going to be perfect, the question is will the robo strikezone be more accurate than the human umpires (yes, undoubtably. Not sure how you’re even debating that). And will the robo strikezone ever try to make the game about them and eject someone when it gets its feelings hurt(no, it won’t).

I love how people say about umpires, "They don't have to be perfect, they just have to be CONSISTENT," which I think is bullshit anyways.  Even if you're arguing that the technology is not perfect (usually because of the problem with measuring the strike zone across batters of different heights), there's no way it will not be more consistent than a human. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Has it really?  How can I watch this?  (Serious question.)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28998585/can-us-return-sports-soon-south-korea-clues

Streaming intrasquad games on youtube. 6 official exhibition games that start in 2 weeks and the official season follows after that.

For any Rangers fans here...Josh Lindblom has carved out a nice career in the KBO.

Edited by AngryDragon

26 minutes ago, ss13 said:

Here’s a time-killer. Pick each team’s top prospect since ‘04, four choices per team. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/each-team-s-highest-ranked-prospect-quiz?t=trivia

17/30 for anyone still thinking I know nothing about baseball. 

Ironically I got the Yankees one wrong. Montero was easily the most hyped prospect among yankee fans ever. You said “Jesus” on yankee message boards and everyone knew who you were talking about. Easy to forget Torres got a higher ranking than him.

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I've been talking to Paul a lot this week because he did a guest appearance on one of my zoom lectures, and he said he has heard nothing about this.  

It's in the article.... https://apnews.com/43ddd669b1caabd5ebdef2481d85e17f

I'm not saying its true either way, just citing a rumor.

Edited by TeddyBearStallion

On 4/7/2020 at 9:55 AM, WBT said:

MLBN is airing the 1991 World Series Game 7 tomorrow at 5 am.  Set your DVRs to see why Jack Morris got in the HOF.

I had this on today while working at home.  I hadn't seen it since it happened and back then my mom made me go to bed after the 9th so I had to watch the run score on the news the next morning. 

The 8th inning was incredible.  Both halves ended on a double play with the bases loaded.  Today, the baseball internet would lose its mind that Kelly left Morris in to escape the jam in the top half.  Lonnie Smith got deked badly and should have scored from first on Pendleton's double. 

Then with 2nd and 3rd and no out, Ronnie Gant hit a dribbler right to the 1st baseman (after he struck out with 2 on earlier in the game to end an inning).  Then an intentional walk and Sid Bream hits into your garden-variety 3-2-3 double play.

In the bottom of the 8th, the Twins had 1st and 3rd with 1 out and Cox pulled Smoltz for Mike Stanton.  He intentionally walked Puckett to force the insurance run to 2nd (another move I don't think most managers would do today) and Hrbek hit a soft liner for a 4 unassisted double play.

What a pitchers' duel.  I can't imagine watching that game with a rooting interesting.  I'd be a wreck.  2017 was bad enough when the Astros scored early and coasted to the end.

If y'all can't tell, I'm jonesing for some baseball.

On 4/7/2020 at 12:10 PM, FondrenRoad said:

Just let the Astros play the Reds please... NL rules are Ok this series.

• Like 1

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Former Texas Rangers star Josh Hamilton has been indicted on a felony charge of injury to a child after his teenage daughter accused him of beating her.

A Tarrant County grand jury indicted the 38-year-old Hamilton on Monday. He remains free on $30,000 bond after he turned himself in to authorities on Oct. 30. If convicted, he faces a prison sentence of two to 10 years.

Hamilton's attorneys say the Rangers Hall of Famer is innocent of the charge. His 14-year-old daughter told her mother, Hamilton's ex-wife, that her father struck her after he became enraged by a comment from her.

According to an affidavit by a Keller Police Department detective, Hamilton's daughter told police that he went on a rampage Sept. 30. She said she made a comment to Hamilton that upset him, so he threw a full water bottle overhand at her, hitting her in the chest, then cursed and shouted at her.

He pulled away the chair on which she was resting her feet and threw it, breaking the chair, she told detectives. The chair didn't hit her, but he then grabbed her by the shoulders and lifted her from the chair on which she sat. She fell to the floor, and he lifted her up, threw her over his shoulder and carried her to her bedroom.

The girl said that at this point, she was telling Hamilton, "I'm sorry." Upon reaching her bedroom door, he tossed the teen onto her bed, pressed her face onto the mattress and began hitting her legs with an open hand and closed fist, the girl said. 

She said that after he finished striking her, he told her, "I hope you go in front of the f---ing judge and tell him what a terrible dad I am so I don't have to see you anymore and you don't have to come to my house again."

As he left the room, Hamilton's daughter said he told her to gather her things for school. When she replied that she had already put them in the car, he responded, "Well, aren't you just the perfect child."