2020 General MLB off-season

Mo Horn

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Umpire talk had me look up something that I figured was true... including postseason, Derek Jeter played in 2,903 career games. He never got ejected once. The guy was just class & respect personified.

Awesome gift basket giver, too.

• Like 4

if you're not sufficiently disgusted with the absolute garbage bin of humanity that we share our nation with, go read some of the comments directed at Buster Posey as he indicated he didn't want to play this year so he'd present less of a threat to the baby twins his family adopted (who are now in NICU) and be able to spend more time with them overall.  

How in the fuck did this shitheap of people manage to live along side the rest of us for so long with no leading indicators?  I mean, the internet has been around for 25 years...you'd think they would have made themselves known by now.  Something must have inspired them to come out of the woodwork because now he's a bad teammate at best, and a hoax-buying brown-people loving America-hating asshole for not suiting up this baseball season.  I can't imagine living a life where I considered these same people as being political teammates of mine.  What a weird way to approach life.  But I guess it brings people comfort to see others post the things they themselves wish they could say...

Anyway, I'm a big Posey fan once again.  

Gave up on the hot corner awfully quickly. 

Young Blue Jays star Vladimir Guerrero Jr. will shift primarily to first base and designated hitter this season, Toronto manager Charlie Montoyo told reporters Friday.

Guerrero, 21, most played third base as a rookie in 2019.

"Vlad is going to focus on first base at this camp, and we're going to keep his options open," said Montoyo, who added that the team had been talking about the position switch since spring training.

Montoyo didn't say it was a permanent move, only that Guerrero would focus on first base and designated hitter during camp, as well as during this shortened season. He didn't rule out Guerrero playing some third base, too, after making 94 starts there last season.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

if you're not sufficiently disgusted with the absolute garbage bin of humanity that we share our nation with, go read some of the comments directed at Buster Posey as he indicated he didn't want to play this year so he'd present less of a threat to the baby twins his family adopted (who are now in NICU) and be able to spend more time with them overall.  

How in the fuck did this shitheap of people manage to live along side the rest of us for so long with no leading indicators?  I mean, the internet has been around for 25 years...you'd think they would have made themselves known by now.  Something must have inspired them to come out of the woodwork because now he's a bad teammate at best, and a hoax-buying brown-people loving America-hating asshole for not suiting up this baseball season.  I can't imagine living a life where I considered these same people as being political teammates of mine.  What a weird way to approach life.  But I guess it brings people comfort to see others post the things they themselves wish they could say...

As someone who just got cussed out and yelled at by Karen because I wouldn't let her in my store without a mask on, I can probably guess what those comments are without looking

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

While I don’t necessarily disagree with Lobo, his cloak room worthy rant illustrates the problem with surly these days. I stay in the entertainment and sports forums to escape the rage.  Lobo’s post was simply a CR post thinly disguised as a sports take. There is no safe place in Surlyhorns these days. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

Gave up on the hot corner awfully quickly. 
Young Blue Jays star Vladimir Guerrero Jr. will shift primarily to first base and designated hitter this season, Toronto manager Charlie Montoyo told reporters Friday.
Guerrero, 21, most played third base as a rookie in 2019.
"Vlad is going to focus on first base at this camp, and we're going to keep his options open," said Montoyo, who added that the team had been talking about the position switch since spring training.
Montoyo didn't say it was a permanent move, only that Guerrero would focus on first base and designated hitter during camp, as well as during this shortened season. He didn't rule out Guerrero playing some third base, too, after making 94 starts there last season.

Opens the door for Martin at 3rd
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

While I don’t necessarily disagree with Lobo, his cloak room worthy rant illustrates the problem with surly these days. I stay in the entertainment and sports forums to escape the rage.  Lobo’s post was simply a CR post thinly disguised as a sports take. There is no safe place in Surlyhorns these days. 

I can’t wait to read your analysis of why my post is a CR post.  It’s about a player who is one of many opting out of playing this year.   Several noteworthy players are taking the season off, you’re gonna have to get used to reading posts about that because it’ll effect teams.  

And some fans are being a dick to him about it.  Yeah, I shouldn’t have injected so much George Will into it who clearly has thoughts on the need for a more statutorily robust catcher platoon system.  My bad.  

Using Statcast’s Infield Outs Above Average (OAA) metric, Guerrero was worth -16 OAA in 2019, ranking last out of 218 qualified infielders. These numbers support the eye test in a more specific way, too, with Guerrero being worth -10 OAA on balls that he had to move toward home plate to field -- third worst among qualified infielders. Guerrero has quick feet and a very strong arm, but he often seemed to struggle with balance and setting his feet when moving in on balls.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lobo said:

These people are cowards, running out the clock on their pathetic existences by trying to get the attention of a bunch of strangers on social media. They are best completely ignored. 

Also, Posey strikes me as the type of guy who doesn't concern himself much with such bullshit. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

@immamac Could we get a forum called Safe Place?

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 2

Oh shit man, I'm sorry guys.  I hurt WBT's feelings.  My bad.  I should go back to cheering for people threatening the adopted children in the NICU.  

Didn't realize I was amongst men here.  

He's alive. 

Free-agent outfielder Yasiel Puig is signing with the Atlanta Braves, a source told ESPN, confirming a report by MLB.com.

The agreement comes after Braves outfielder Nick Markakis decided to opt out of the 2020 season earlier this month.

A major league All-Star in 2014, the 29-year-old Puig batted .267 in 149 games last season with the Cincinnati Reds and Cleveland Indians. He hit .297 with the Indians after being acquired on July 30 and gave the Indians an infusion of power and energy, helping their ultimately fruitless surge to catch the Minnesota Twins for the AL Central Division crown.

Not only does the Braves outfield now have potentially the most swagger in baseball which is going to piss off the loud, racist portion of our fan base, Puig immediately becomes the third best hitter vs RHP on the team (based on career OPS) so he fills a big void left by Markakis opting out.

27 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Not only does the Braves outfield now have potentially the most swagger in baseball which is going to piss off the loud, racist portion of our fan base, Puig immediately becomes the third best hitter vs RHP on the team (based on career OPS) so he fills a big void left by Markakis opting out.

Puig comes with a lot of baggage, but I loved him.  He's passionate, excitable, and occasionally a helluva a ballplayer.  With a cannon like nobody's business (just don't expect him to hit the cutoff man).

spacer.png

Full vid

Edited by Sbbruin

So...you think we are actually having a Major League season? Part of me just cannot believe it. I am sure something will shut this down before it happens.

I am really excited at the prospect of a 60 game season though. So many insane and unpredictable things can happen in such a short schedule. I wonder if some shitty club is going to play way above their heads and have a dream season this year...presuming we play at all.

In a surprising preseason swap, the Royals have acquired outfielder Franchy Cordero and right-hander Ronald Bolanos from the Padres for left-handed reliever Tim Hill. Both teams have announced the trade. Jeff Passan of ESPN first reported the news.

In Cordero, the Royals are getting a power-hitting 25-year-old who was once a fairly touted Padres prospect. Cordero debuted in the majors in 2017, but various injuries have largely prevented him from making an impact in the league. He played in only nine games and totaled just 20 plate appearances last season.

Despite the health issues Cordero has dealt with, there’s plenty to be intrigued about from the rebuilding Royals’ point of view. He carries a lifetime .925 OPS in Triple-A 517 plate appearances, for one. Furthermore, as MLBTR’s George Miller explained in May, Cordero has shown off impressive speed and hard-hitting ability during his limited time in the majors. There are flaws, including Cordero’s penchant for striking out (he has done so 38.8 percent of the time in the majors), but he could prove to be a wise long-term investment for the Royals. As things stand, he’s not on track to reach arbitration until after this year or free agency until the end of the 2023 campaign.

That is the definition of buy-low.