2020 General MLB off-season

Mo Horn

I'm still optimistic they'll get the season and playoffs done. There will be new positive cases, maybe key players, which will be handled per protocol. Something bizarre will happen like a team having to skip an entire road trip or something, and people will freak out. There will be talk of asterisks.

But this was never about making a perfect copy of a normal season, it's mainly about money but with the helpful side effect of keeping the sport as intact as possible, and giving millions of fans a pleasant diversion from our living nightmare.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 7/14/2020 at 6:50 PM, ATLLonghorn said:

Not only does the Braves outfield now have potentially the most swagger in baseball which is going to piss off the loud, racist portion of our fan base, Puig immediately becomes the third best hitter vs RHP on the team (based on career OPS) so he fills a big void left by Markakis opting out.

Not so fast. 

Veteran outfielder Yasiel Puig said Friday that he has tested positive for COVID-19.

Sources told ESPN earlier this week that Puig, a free agent, had agreed to a deal with the Braves. However, the deal had been contingent on Puig testing negative, so that agreement is now off and he remains a free agent, a source told ESPN, confirming multiple reports.

Puig made the testing announcement on social media, saying he is asymptomatic and feels fine.

"I will be quarantined until I receive two negative test results, which I hope will arrive shortly," the 29-year-old said.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 5:34 AM, Bartles said:

I'm still optimistic they'll get the season and playoffs done. There will be new positive cases, maybe key players, which will be handled per protocol. Something bizarre will happen like a team having to skip an entire road trip or something, and people will freak out. There will be talk of asterisks.

But this was never about making a perfect copy of a normal season, it's mainly about money but with the helpful side effect of keeping the sport as intact as possible, and giving millions of fans a pleasant diversion from our living nightmare.

I think a good sign is that there have been many professional athletes that have gotten the virus across the spectrum of different sports, and I don't one of them has had to be hospitalized for an extended period of time. Which the data supports that if you are under 70 and in reasonably good health you will be able to overcome it, if you even show any symptoms at all.

Edited by HtownHorn

I think a good sign is that there have been many professional athletes that have gotten the virus across the spectrum of different sports, and I don't one of them has had to be hospitalized for an extended period of time. Which the data supports that if you are under 70 and in reasonably good health you will be able to overcome it, if you even show any symptoms at all.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/braves/2020/07/18/braves-freddie-freeman-describes-covid-battle-please-dont-take-me/5465904002/

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I wasn't aware that they were announcing who had gotten the virus, let alone who had to be hospitalized for treatment.

They don't have to announce, but it often gets out. Freddie Freeman sounded bad but now he thinks he can play next week. Scott Kingery was also public about his symptoms but he's back now too. If a regular player ends up in the hospital, that will be hard to keep under wraps.

I have never been more excited for the start of a sports season than I am for this.  May not make it to the finish line, but I so desperately miss live, meaningful sports.  I get pretty geeked leading up to the CFB kickoff, but I am going to watch every pitch of the first Dodgers game.  

On 7/18/2020 at 8:22 PM, Sbbruin said:

I have never been more excited for the start of a sports season than I am for this.  May not make it to the finish line, but I so desperately miss live, meaningful sports.  I get pretty geeked leading up to the CFB kickoff, but I am going to watch every pitch of the first Dodgers game.  

I'm pretty excited for opening day, but nothing compares to the first kickoff of the college football every year. I'd say it's probably my favorite day of the year including holidays, birthdays, etc..

I just noticed that Vegas is putting money lines on these exhibitions.  I can't believe people will bet on this shit -- they''re literally making up rules in the middle of the game, stopping/extending innings because of pitch counts, etc.  LAD-AZ the other night, they ended an inning with no outs because the AZ pitcher had already thrown 25 pitches that inning.  PHI-NYY, they extended an inning because Velasquez was a few pitches short of his count.  Even though he had 3 outs, they said one more batter.  It was Judge, who hit a 3-out homer.  Last night in LAA-SD, it was 1-0 at end of 9 and the managers just decided to see how the extra innings rule worked, so they put a run on the board for SD to tie it, played T10 and bailed halfway through it and didn't bother with B10.  

Why the fuck would people bet on this fuckery?

I guess I'm kind of more surprised that Vegas will take bets on games that aren't even following the rules.  The PHI-NYY game ended in a tie, so the gamblers who bet on PHI didn't win their bets because of a 3-out homer.  Seems like Vegas would catch a lot of shit from them.  I forgot, there was also one team yesterday (LAA?) that basically quit following their batting order.

In actual baseball content, Bobby Witt, Jr has two hits and two walks today against Houston.  Slashing 500/667/750.  And they just ended that game with 2 outs in the 9th!

Washed-up veteran roulette? 

The Mets have released veteran outfielder Melky Cabrera and infielder Gordon Beckham, per a team announcement. Both signed minor league pacts with the organization shortly after MLB’s transaction freeze was lifted. The Mets also confirmed their recently reported minor league deals with center fielder Juan Lagares and second baseman Brian Dozier. The team’s 60-man player pool stands at 57 players.

1 hour ago, ss13 said:

That’s a long time. 

Fucknuts.  Can't blame him for signing it now, with a little bit of financial uncertainty ahead.  That's a loooong time for a lot of money, but that's pretty much where the market is at for the 2nd best five-tool player in his prime.  The Red Sox front office (deservedly) feels like shit right now.

on to the next one...

The Pennsylvania Department of Health announced Wednesday that they will not allow the Blue Jays to play their home games at PNC Park in Pittsburgh this season.

Pennsylvania secretary of health Dr. Rachel Levine said in a statement that "To add travelers to this region for any reason, including for professional sports events, risks residents, visitors and members of both teams." The Blue Jays, of course, have also been denied permission to play in Toronto, so their top two choices have been blocked just ahead of Opening Day. ESPN's Jeff Passan hears that the Jays are looking into playing their home games at Camden Yards in Baltimore. There's also the possibility, per ESPN's Buster Olney, that they will travel to the city of each scheduled opponent and play as the home team.