2020 General MLB off-season

Mo Horn

The Pennsylvania Department of Health announced Wednesday that they will not allow the Blue Jays to play their home games at PNC Park in Pittsburgh this season.

Pennsylvania secretary of health Dr. Rachel Levine said in a statement that "To add travelers to this region for any reason, including for professional sports events, risks residents, visitors and members of both teams."

"We're not going to take you!" - Twisted Sister

• Haha 1

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/rockies-of-hilliards-dad-diagnosed-with-als-sees-son-at-rangers-game/2411214/

Rockies OF Hilliard's Dad, Diagnosed With ALS, Sees Son at Rangers Game

Colorado Rockies rookie outfielder Sam Hilliard grew up going to Texas Rangers games as a kid with his dad, who two years ago was diagnosed with ALS.

His dad, Jim, is now getting to watch his son as a big leaguer in their hometown team's new stadium that otherwise is closed to fans because of the coronavirus pandemic.

"It's amazing that he can be here, especially the fact he's in Texas," Sam Hilliard said before Tuesday's game. "It's going to be something else to look up there and see him. ... Hopefully I'll get to interact a little bit with him after the game or something, get to see him. I haven't seen him in a while. It's going to be really cool and something to really cherish..."

...Hilliard said it is getting harder for his parents to travel around. His father, a retired orthopedic surgeon who played football at the University of Texas in the early 1970s, had already been dealing with symptoms of ALS before his official diagnosis in 2018. Often called Lou Gehrig's disease, ALS is a progressive nervous system disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord, causing loss of muscle control. There is currently no cure.

Hilliard last season started speaking more frequently about Team Hilliard, the family's effort to raise awareness, and raise money for ALS Therapy Development Institute. His mother, Tamara, a former Miss Texas, is a driving force behind the initiative. The outfielder is the youngest of the couple's three sons.

While Hilliard didn't know all of the details for how everything came together for his dad to see him play in Texas, he knows the Rangers helped find the a way "for them to get in and be socially distanced from anyone else, and have a little spot in the stadium..."

...Hilliard said he grew up about 10-15 minutes from the new stadium with a retractable roof, which is across the street from the former stadium, where as a kid he had his first real job.

"It was at the sports park behind center field, where they had that Wiffle ball field," he said. "I was one of those kids throwing Wiffle balls to little kids."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

on to the next one...

The Pennsylvania Department of Health announced Wednesday that they will not allow the Blue Jays to play their home games at PNC Park in Pittsburgh this season.
Pennsylvania secretary of health Dr. Rachel Levine said in a statement that "To add travelers to this region for any reason, including for professional sports events, risks residents, visitors and members of both teams." The Blue Jays, of course, have also been denied permission to play in Toronto, so their top two choices have been blocked just ahead of Opening Day. ESPN's Jeff Passan hears that the Jays are looking into playing their home games at Camden Yards in Baltimore. There's also the possibility, per ESPN's Buster Olney, that they will travel to the city of each scheduled opponent and play as the home team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ss13 said:

Jesus christ, 16 is silly. 

I’m ok with it only for this year. They need the revenue and it will minimize the higher variance of the short season. My fear is that once the cat’s out of the bag, we’re stuck with it forever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m ok with it only for this year. They need the revenue and it will minimize the higher variance of the short season. My fear is that once the cat’s out of the bag, we’re stuck with it forever. 

It depends on whether they plan to add more 1 game deathmatches like the WC game, or whether they plan to add actual series.  The 1 game deathmatches are exciting, but they are practically a coin flip.  I don't want more of them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

It depends on whether they plan to add more 1 game deathmatches like the WC game, or whether they plan to add actual series.  The 1 game deathmatches are exciting, but they are practically a coin flip.  I don't want more of them.

I think the plan is for  the 1st round to be 3 games series. So there won’t be any death matches .