Star Wars Nerds

lateshow

Having watched them all many many times, if I was going to do a marathon, I'd do R1, then 4 5 6.  The cgi to no cgi between R1 to 4 might throw someone who's watching for the first time though.  4 might look like a real dog, even though, it's probably the best one.  You just have to remind yourself it was made 40 fucking years earlier.

Edited by mulletpelini
and when I say all I mean 4 and 5

5 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Having watched them all many many times, if I was going to do a marathon, I'd do R1, then 4 5 6.  The cgi to no cgi between R1 to 4 might throw someone who's watching for the first time though.  4 might look like a real dog, even though, it's probably the best one.  You just have to remind yourself it was made 40 fucking years earlier.

And, hey, if you really like Episode 4 but would prefer if they remade it with brighter colors, better effects, and used Ctrl+F to replace all instances of "Rebellion" with "Resistance" and "Empire" with "First Order", then TFA will fulfill your needs nicely.

On 11/21/2019 at 4:08 PM, atomheartbevo said:

IV, V, VI.

After ROTJ, it gets dicey - Rogue One is a judgement call on whether your kid can handle it.

After that, watch Episode I, and then maybe hold off a few years, because II and III are darkdumb as shit.

Fify

Edited by BrickHorn

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

And, hey, if you really like Episode 4 but would prefer if they remade it with brighter colors, better effects, and used Ctrl+F to replace all instances of "Rebellion" with "Resistance" and "Empire" with "First Order", then TFA will fulfill your needs nicely.

Also if you didn't like the happy ending and fulfilling character arc resolutions of Episode 6 it does a proper job of fucking them all up.

• Like 1

If you want your son to have the authentic experience have the kiddo watch IV, V and VI.  Then let a few years pass and go to Disneyland, DisneyWorld or any other location where you can find Disney characters.  Find the Mouse and ask him to kick your son in the balls repeatedly.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Haha 1

I don't believe in Machete order for people that are brand new to the franchise, and especially young kids.  Each movie released, builds on the universe and presupposes at least some knowledge of the movie(s) made before, regardless of their chronological order in the universe.  Machete order also eliminates Episode 1 which is actually the best among the prequels for young kids.  I'm not saying it's good, but young kids love it.  They love the pod races, they love young Annakin, and they even-- God help them-- love Jar Jar.

Release order is the correct order for folks who've never watched any of it. With the caveat that if you wanted to throw in Rogue One after ROTJ and before TFA, that's fine. 

I've seen people object to release order because it might confuse kids with the way it jumps around.  All I can say is, those kids must be really stupid.  My kids first saw 4-6 and 1-3 in release order when they were maybe 4yo and 6yo?  And they "got it" just fine.

Just my opinion of course.  :)

Edit: (I'll also add that after they saw 1-3 a couple of times each, ,my kids (now 12 and 10) never, ever ask to see them again.  They ask for 4-6, and R1 all the time, and they also like 7 and 8.  But the prequels, not at all)

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

I recommend double checking the Last Jedi thread or whatever the title of the last movie was with a thread on this board. Any poster at any point in that thread defending that movie should be downvoted, disregarded and put on ignore. It is Battlefield Earth-level, worst-movie-of-all-time bad and just another example of the Star Wars franchise taking its fan base for granted and visually raping them in the process. 

Also, while the most recent fanraper of a movie set a new standard, episodes 1-3 are also some of the worst tripe ever put on a screen. They are not defensible as a story in any manner and the only people who ever attempt to do so are bulletin board dipshits that would be too ashamed to take the same position in a personal setting. Hayden Christianso/en pulls off one of the greatest performance art pieces in the history of entertainment in episodes 2 and 3 with an Andy Kaufman-esque troll job where he attempts to ruin every scene involving his character in a way that hilariously and irrevocably destroys the franchise’s entire legacy. 

Correct order is 4-6, Rogue One, and frankly, for the non-Star Wars normal viewers, Solo is just fine. The “canon” snobs and dorks will howl about that for whatever reason, but it’s worth the watch. Rogue One is the best of all of them and holds up as a fucking great movie irrespective of being anchored to the rest of the overrated mediocrity that is “Star Wars canon”. 

If you don’t like your kid and want to ruin movies for him, you could also subject him to bingewatching a Star Wars prequel followed by Transformers 3, then another SW prequel followed by Transformers 4 and so forth. My understanding is that this is how the Chinese are currently torturing dissidents for information before sending their then mind-jellied, limp bodies off to padded rooms in the nuthouse to live out the rest of their sad lives. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I recommend double checking the Last Jedi thread or whatever the title of the last movie was with a thread on this board. Any poster at any point in that thread defending that movie should be downvoted, disregarded and put on ignore. It is Battlefield Earth-level, worst-movie-of-all-time bad and just another example of the Star Wars franchise taking its fan base for granted and visually raping them in the process. 
Also, while the most recent fanraper of a movie set a new standard, episodes 1-3 are also some of the worst tripe ever put on a screen. They are not defensible as a story in any manner and the only people who ever attempt to do so are bulletin board dipshits that would be too ashamed to take the same position in a personal setting. Hayden Christianso/en pulls off one of the greatest performance art pieces in the history of entertainment in episodes 2 and 3 with an Andy Kaufman-esque troll job where he attempts to ruin every scene involving his character in a way that hilariously and irrevocably destroys the franchise’s entire legacy. 
Correct order is 4-6, Rogue One, and frankly, for the non-Star Wars normal viewers, Solo is just fine. The “canon” snobs and dorks will howl about that for whatever reason, but it’s worth the watch. Rogue One is the best of all of them and holds up as a fucking great movie irrespective of being anchored to the rest of the overrated mediocrity that is “Star Wars canon”. 
If you don’t like your kid and want to ruin movies for him, you could also subject him to bingewatching a Star Wars prequel followed by Transformers 3, then another SW prequel followed by Transformers 4 and so forth. My understanding is that this is how the Chinese are currently torturing dissidents for information before sending their then mind-jellied, limp bodies off to padded rooms in the nuthouse to live out the rest of their sad lives. 

Username checks out
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'd throw Solo in there somewhere after 4-6 as well. It really doesn't add anything, but it was a fun movie that didn't do well because of being released so closely after The Last Jedi.

Disagree. Solo might be the worst all around film out of all of them. 

I'd watch 4, 5, and 6 because they are great and are the reason the franchise exists. 7 because it's good and shows you what has been going on with characters from the original series. Rogue One because it's also very good. 

Skip 1, 2, 3, 8, and Solo. All garbage. 

I know someone did the Phantom Edit a long time ago that was pretty decent. I wish they would take a stab at cutting the entire prequel trilogy together into one decent film. 

13 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

7 because it's good and shows you what has been going on with characters from the original series. 

Disagree on it being good. Check out the wiki synopsis if you're just dying to know what's been going on with characters from the original series, imo. I don't think the answer is very interesting either, so you can skip the wiki synopsis as well. 

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
19 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Can this thread be just the Star Wars discussion and random thoughts thread?   Good.   

Here’s a thought:  obi wan kenobi is overrated.  Got his ass locked twice by dooku, cumulative time of the two “fights” was 3 minutes?

Sure but he destroyed Anakin and Maul.  

On 11/26/2019 at 5:56 AM, utee94 said:

Release order is the correct order for folks who've never watched any of it. With the caveat that if you wanted to throw in Rogue One after ROTJ and before TFA, that's fine. 

This is the correct answer. The prequels kinda spoil the best twist in cinema history.  Having your child not know what's coming, that gasp! of realization and horror at the end of Empire Strikes Back, is not something you want to take away from your child.

All other answers are wrong for this reason alone.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

This is the correct answer. The prequels kinda spoil the best twist in cinema history.  Having your child not know what's coming, that gasp! of realization and horror at the end of Empire Strikes Back, is not something you want to take away from your child.

All other answers are wrong for this reason alone.

I tell people to go IV, V (for the Vader reveal) then go back to chronological order of I, II, III, Rogue One, then VI so Vader is a much more tragic figure and his redemption is more emotionally satisfying. Then they should burn their Blu Ray player before watching episodes VII, VIII, or IX. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I tell people to go IV, V (for the Vader reveal) then go back to chronological order of I, II, III, Rogue One, then VI so Vader is a much more tragic figure and his redemption is more emotionally satisfying. Then they should burn their Blu Ray player before watching episodes VII, VIII, or IX. 

Most kids won’t have any idea what a BluRay player is. C’mon man. 

IV-VI.  Then Rogue One.  Those are the only objectively good Star Wars films.  

If you enjoyed all of those and want more feature length Star Wars films, then watch Episode I, which is not great but fully watchable and has a few great scenes; it is better if you’re under 12 years old.  Now, Episode II is an aborted fetus of a film.  I truly wish there was a condensed cut of that one.  But if you’re going to digest the prequel trilogy you can’t fully skip it.  But it sucks.  Yoda flipping around and shit was novel at the time but at this point even that is hokey.  Episode III is better than Episode II; like Episode I it is not a good film but is fully watchable and has a few great scenes.

Only do the sequel trilogy if, after watching all of the other films, you are still super hungry for fresh feature length Star Wars content.  Episodes VII and VIII are roughly on par with Episodes I and III.  Watchable.  There are some bloody awful cringe-inducing scenes and terribad acting in all 4 of those movies, but if you love Star Wars there are likely enough things to enjoy about them to make them worthwhile.

DO NOT WATCH EPISODE IX.  It is one of the worst films of all time and will ruin the entire Skywalker saga for you.  Just pretend it does not exist.  It has no redeeming qualities.  The Solo movie is also trash.

Knowing what I know now, I think most people who’ve never seen Star Wars would be best off by watching IV-VI and Rogue One, then sticking to the shows like The Mandalorian.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

IV-VI.  Then Rogue One.  Those are the only objectively good Star Wars films.  

If you enjoyed all of those and want more feature length Star Wars films, then watch Episode I, which is not great but fully watchable and has a few great scenes; it is better if you’re under 12 years old.  Now, Episode II is an aborted fetus of a film.  I truly wish there was a condensed cut of that one.  But if you’re going to digest the prequel trilogy you can’t fully skip it.  But it sucks.  Yoda flipping around and shit was novel at the time but at this point even that is hokey.  Episode III is better than Episode II; like Episode I it is not a good film but is fully watchable and has a few great scenes.

Only do the sequel trilogy if, after watching all of the other films, you are still super hungry for fresh feature length Star Wars content.  Episodes VII and VIII are roughly on par with Episodes I and III.  Watchable.  There are some bloody awful cringe-inducing scenes and terribad acting in all 4 of those movies, but if you love Star Wars there are likely enough things to enjoy about them to make them worthwhile.

DO NOT WATCH EPISODE IX.  It is one of the worst films of all time and will ruin the entire Skywalker saga for you.  Just pretend it does not exist.  It has no redeeming qualities.  The Solo movie is also trash.

Knowing what I know now, I think most people who’ve never seen Star Wars would be best off by watching IV-VI and Rogue One, then sticking to the shows like The Mandalorian.

You should give Solo a shot if you haven't seen it. It's a space heist movie without Jedi that's pretty fun. Definitely no Rogue One, but not deserving of the scorn it tends to get 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

You should give Solo a shot if you haven't seen it. It's a space heist movie without Jedi that's pretty fun. Definitely no Rogue One, but not deserving of the scorn it tends to get 

I’ve seen Solo twice.  Sorry, but it’s fucking trash.  Better than Episode IX.  Probably in a tier with Episode II.

Edited by Snake Diggity

25 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I know there was a YouTube cut that deleted all Jarjar dialogue years ago. That improved things in episode 1. I thought I remember trying to find a cut version but they were all fan or spam crap. Surely there is a legit fan edited version of 2 and 3 that is only about 90 minutes long by now. Right? If not, who wants to set up the Kickstarter? 

eta - maybe there are enough scenes in 3 to put at the begging of the 2-3 mashup to make you feel like obi wan and anakin actually like each other. 

Edited by UT_OB1

26 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

DO NOT WATCH EPISODE IX.  It is one of the worst films of all time and will ruin the entire Skywalker saga for you.  Just pretend it does not exist.  It has no redeeming qualities.  

Interesting. I've only seen it once, but I don't remember it being awful. Just forgettable. And kind of funny with how Palps just kind of shows up with no explanation.

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought The Force Awakens was decent-ish. The other two sequels are garbage. 

Revenge of The Sith is good. Fight me.

Episodes I and II aren’t good, but they have some cool stuff. Duel of the Fates is a beautifully shot and exciting scene. Jango Fett - Kenobi fight in Episode II was very cool. Filoni’s explanation of Qui-Gon makes me appreciate his character more. 

Solo is pretty good. 

Rogue One is a great film. 

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is why you make a throwaway virtual machine. 

I originally downloaded them to a throwaway machine, thankfully.  The files are fine, but there was some extra garbage.   I'll have a google drive link for your in a bit.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 2:28 PM, lateshow said:

Since I have Verizon, I took the year of Disney+ for free. I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies. I have an 8 year old son and though it'd be fun to watch them with him, but I'm clueless. My question to you is, what is the best order to watch them? 

Watch the original 3 films first. 

Then I'd watch Clone Wars, Rebels, and Rogue One. 

You should be good to go for Mando and Boba Fett by then. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I still chuckle at the way Oscar Isaac delivered the line “somehow Palpatine returned”. Almost in a yeah, I can’t believe this lazy plot line is being tossed out either but this is JJ Abrams so, you know.

I remember thinking "that's odd, but I guess they want Palpatine to give the expository dialogue later". Nope! It's never mentioned again. He's just... there. Is he a clone? Did he never die? Was the original a clone? Who knows!

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I remember thinking "that's odd, but I guess they want Palpatine to give the expository dialogue later". Nope! It's never mentioned again. He's just... there. Is he a clone? Did he never die? Was the original a clone? Who knows!

Well why would JJ actually explain anything? That’s for books, comics, and the Lucasfilm story group to figure out and explain in the TV shows. So now we have that crap in Mando and the cartoons.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I thought The Force Awakens was decent-ish. The other two sequels are garbage. 

Revenge of The Sith is good. Fight me.

Episodes I and II aren’t good, but they have some cool stuff. Duel of the Fates is a beautifully shot and exciting scene. Jango Fett - Kenobi fight in Episode II was very cool. Filoni’s explanation of Qui-Gon makes me appreciate his character more. 

Solo is pretty good. 

Rogue One is a great film. 

I do think Episode I and VII were for the most part expertly cast.  Portman, McGregor, and Neeson were fantastic, as were Ridley and Isaacs.  Both the prequel and sequel trilogies are tragic in the amount of “what could have been.”

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

watch Episode I, which is not great but fully watchable and has a few great scenes; it is better if you’re under 12 years old.  

I LOL’d at how you set the audience of your post to possibly younger than 12, then immediately followed with 

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Now, Episode II is an aborted fetus of a film.  

Re: Solo - Someone could watch the final 10 minutes of ‘Solo’ and take away the information they need and what was most entertaining from the movie. RIP Woody and Vision actor, Khaleesi actress y u no topless? Holy crap it’s Darth Maul! Ah yeah Han stole Lando’s ship!

• Haha 1