The Eyes of Texas

LTtxfan

the top X% rule has been in effect for decades. high school class of '89 and it was top 10% auto admit when i graduated. i don't think there was even an SAT score requirement back then. if you were top 10% and took the SAT, you were pretty much accepted to UT.

the debate that "lesser" qualified kids are getting in at the expense of "better" qualified kids has been argued ever since the X% rule was established. the biggest proponents of the X% rule are the lower income and rural schools which don't have access to better teachers and better curriculum that the bigger, wealthier suburban schools have. i have no problems with the X% rule. it's guaranteeing a diverse student population from across the state. i'd argue that as THE flagship state school, UT has an obligation towards that end. 

the EYES issue is not a top 10% issue. the younger kids these days are just more woke, that's good and bad. but every generation has a generational divide from the ones before. this is just another example. 

the kids can bitch. it's good they are bitching. but money will win out here. old money is on the side of the EYES. UT NEEDS old money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pacman said:

Horseshit.

Sorry, Pacman. Westlake has amazing programs, resources and a college placement record that most HS in the nation, and certainly Manor ISD, can't compare with. Heck, the robotics team has their own building. Fortunately, smart kids come from everywhere. That said, I have no problem with the 6% rule, as it helps disadvantaged kids from smaller towns who have promise get a shot. 

• Hook 'Em 3

23 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

You're overestimating the size of a vocal minority.

I certainly don't have my finger on the pulse of student life and opinion these days, so that could easily be true. But it does appear the group includes most of our current players based on how many of them chose not to participate when given the choice. And I'm uncomfortable with all the rhetoric about the need to put these players and students in their place. Before when I would stay and sing the Eyes I always thought of it as being a way to honor and show respect to the players, and I don't see how it's going to feel like that anymore. If it's going to become a ritual of the players being made to humble themselves before the older alums and donors, that's kind of gross and definitely doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

Edited by Thermos H. Christ
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

FWIW, I've heard UT is only admitting top 6% currently. The bigger issue is the university not wanting to expand enrollment but demand is outrageously high. I think in general the 10% rule is good because it allows rural kids the opportunity to come the University of Texas but if it was like you're suggesting a lot of those kids wouldn't get the chance.

The current rule for UT is auto admits for top X percent with a cap on that being 75 percent of Texas residents admitted. So currently, top 6 percent is where they draw that line because anything more would be > 75 percent. It's continued to slide down over the past decade.

The Westlake 12 percenter still gets a chance to compete for one of the remaining 25 percent of Texas resident admissions, which I believe are supposed to be 90 percent of the class (not sure about that last figure).

Edited by gmr548

The current rule for UT is auto admits for top X percent with a cap on that being 75 percent of Texas residents admitted. So currently, top 6 percent is where they draw that line because anything more would be > 75 percent. It's continued to slide down over the past decade.
The Westlake 12 percenter still gets a chance to compete for one of the remaining 25 percent of Texas resident admissions, which I believe are supposed to be 90 percent of the class (not sure about that last figure).

You are correct on all points.

Signed
Guy who has daughter (no pics) going there in the fall (not top 6%)
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Nice editorial, except she repeatedly referred to it as our “fight song” which just rubs me wrong. Like I've said before, it’s the only school song that any fan base - at any school - knows and sings with gusto. She comes close to getting that point when she questions if Cal (her other alma mater?) even has a school song. But then she calls it a fight song again.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Since others have taken the thread in the direction of admissions and top-X%, here are a couple of random notes...

In 1987, admission to UT could be had in 3 ways: (1) top-25% (2) 1100 SAT (3) take 2 summer classes at UT and get B average

There are various opinions on "why does top-X% exist?"  The first is "taxation without representation," as rural lege members were complaining that none of their constituents were getting admitted.  The second was "response to Hopwood" and the observed reduction in minority representation at top Texas colleges.  There are many academic papers citing and discussing the latter.

The top-X% guarantees admission into the university, not necessarily into a specific/desired major.  100% of admits to Engineering, McCombs, and others are at the discretion of the schools.

In general, the person who is top-12% at Westlake, Westwood, Highland Park, etc, is more likely to gain admission than the person who is top-7% at a weaker school.  That person will have high standardized test scores and more exposure to AP classes.

Note that only 10-15% of applicants outside the top-6% are admitted at Texas.

Limiting auto-admits to 75% of the class was prudent.  Top-10% admissions would ultimately fill UT with only Texas residents.  It's not entirely clear they could fill seats in more selective majors with auto-admits.

You are correct on all points.

Signed
Guy who has daughter (no pics) going there in the fall (not top 6%)

Good luck to her. To get in without auto admit these days certainly means she’s got some accomplishments to be proud of and is equipped to succeed. I got in from outside the top 10 percent in 2010. I didn’t think I’d get in then and there’s absolutely no way in hell I’d get in today. UT has gotten crazy competitive.
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 8:39 AM, immamac said:

I was hammered last night, I didn't read the article and thought it meant that they were livestreaming an on campus event on zoom and someone pulled a gun while it was streaming, not that he pulled it on webcam. My bad. Thanks tequila.

Don't read Surl on a straight tequila night

Edited by clapclapclap
She'll start thinking about him, then she's ready to fight
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

There are various opinions on "why does top-X% exist?"  The first is "taxation without representation," as rural lege members were complaining that none of their constituents were getting admitted.  The second was "response to Hopwood" and the observed reduction in minority representation at top Texas colleges.  There are many academic papers citing and discussing the latter.

Perhaps it was just where the focus was in the Austin press, but most of the noise I heard was from the latter group. I remember complaints of students from better AISD high schools like Anderson and Austin High transferring to poorer performing schools like Johnston just so they could graduate in the top 10%. 

On 5/6/2021 at 11:53 AM, Atticus said:

This is the exact reason FOR the top 10% rule.

I think we all know that. The points are

1) There's a downside. In this example, a very smart Westlake student doesn't get accepted to UT.

2) Those smart kids go elsewhere. In this example, it was Auburn, which was to combat the statement (not from you) "Are you saying UT should be taking kids who are at Auburn's level academically?" NO! It's the opposite. UT worthy kids are going to Auburn due to the top 10% rule.

Edited by n64ra
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, n64ra said:

1) There's a downside. In this example, a very smart Westlake student doesn't get accepted to UT.

2) Those smart kids go elsewhere. In this example, it was Auburn, which was to combat the statement (not from you) "Are you saying UT should be taking kids who are at Auburn's level academically?" NO! It's the opposite. UT worthy kids are going to Auburn due to the top 10% rule.

I am concerned this is causing or will cause a massive wealth drain from Texas to SEC schools.  We really need more system options like Cal has.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

^Does this look like a divisive, racist song to anyone else?

End of the day, it’s just a song, but it’s a shame we’ll likely never get to share the unifying experience of the entire campus community singing it again. 100,000 strong with the Longhorn band playing it (not over loud speaker). The EOT vs. Notre Dame is one of my fondest memories of senior year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. No matter what comes of this whole thing it will likely never be the same experience again. Sucks. 

20 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I am concerned this is causing or will cause a massive wealth drain from Texas to SEC schools.  We really need more system options like Cal has.

And when that doesn't actually happen, will you stop being "concerned" or just angry that it didn't happen?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

And when that doesn't actually happen, will you stop being "concerned" or just angry that it didn't happen?

A lot of wealthy families that are multi generation alums and big donors have kids going to SEC schools these days as Texas is hard to get in.  I wish we had more great Texas schools so we don’t lose these kids’ families and their wealth to fucking SEC schools.  What about that do you disagree with? Are just arguing with me for the sake of arguing   

I know a lot of these people at least in Houston (less so Dallas). And it sucks seeing their kids and grandkids go to Ole Miss, Florida and Georgia.  TCU is getting some too, but that bothers me less.  

I would like to see kids whose families have 9 and 10 figure wealth in state.  And preferably with our public schools.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

A lot of wealthy families that are multi generation alums and big donors have kids going to SEC schools these days as Texas is hard to get in.  I wish we had more great Texas schools so we don’t lose these kids’ families and their wealth to fucking SEC schools.  What about that do you disagree with? Are just arguing with me for the sake of arguing   

I know a lot of these people at least in Houston (less so Dallas). And it sucks seeing their kids and grandkids go to Ole Miss, Florida and Georgia.  TCU is getting some too, but that bothers me less.  

I would like to see kids whose families have 9 and 10 figure wealth in state.  And preferably with our public schools.  

I would like the whole UT system to improve too, but no one is sending their kid to Ole Miss because it’s a great school. There are already multiple, in-state, public options that are equal or better outside of The University. You mention knowing a lot of these people in Houston-Ole Miss is no better than UH if academics are the only concern (it’s no better than UT Dallas either). 

19 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

more wonderful coverage.

The woke warriors are always scouring the earth in search of their next conquest.  They feed off of virgin blood and anyone who will bend to their will.  The rush of adrenaline they get from each victory is intoxicating especially the ones with unfounded false narratives.  

• Hook 'Em 8

38 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So they don’t really have any idea what the song is, but they’re sure it’s racist and must go.

Facts are irrelevant sir.  These courageous young heroes will have their forced pat on the back.  Stop trying to bring up logic when it’s so inconvenient to the mission.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/6/2021 at 2:57 PM, Thermos H. Christ said:

I certainly don't have my finger on the pulse of student life and opinion these days, so that could easily be true. But it does appear the group includes most of our current players based on how many of them chose not to participate when given the choice. And I'm uncomfortable with all the rhetoric about the need to put these players and students in their place. Before when I would stay and sing the Eyes I always thought of it as being a way to honor and show respect to the players, and I don't see how it's going to feel like that anymore. If it's going to become a ritual of the players being made to humble themselves before the older alums and donors, that's kind of gross and definitely doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

i appreciate the way you articulated this, i couldn't specifically describe how i was feeling... and i think one of the reasons i am so bothered is it feels like some folks with a specific agenda ruined what was one of our (alumni, fans, team, students) shared, special moments.

i mean, fuck it, it's just a song...but it's like somebody had to really make these young people hate it...for what? as in, what purpose? and then every time when it's like 'ok, everybody can calm down now, and let's go win games, yay!'...here it comes again 🙄

in the end it don't make a shit...but it really makes me shake my head. i guess ignorance really is bliss...but from here it just seems like somebody went out of their way to fuck up something really innocuous and innocent, and warm and fuzzy, as you say. assholes.😠

• Hook 'Em 6

19 hours ago, ATXhorn17 said:

^Does this look like a divisive, racist song to anyone else?

End of the day, it’s just a song, but it’s a shame we’ll likely never get to share the unifying experience of the entire campus community singing it again. 100,000 strong with the Longhorn band playing it (not over loud speaker). The EOT vs. Notre Dame is one of my fondest memories of senior year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and that's exactly what i mean...grrrr... none of those people thought it was offensive until someone told them they were supposed to be.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Bingo.

Fuck every last one of them.

I mean basically A&M did it with the Sully statute.  And that’s actually a statute of a confederate general and  an actual big time racist.  They just said no.  We should do same for something that isn’t at all racist except in the minds of the crazy or indoctrinated.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I mean basically A&M did it with the Sully statute.  And that’s actually a statute of a confederate general and  an actual big time racist.  They just said no.  We should do same for something that isn’t at all racist except in the minds of the crazy or indoctrinated.  

What’s this “we” shit? I disagree with students, faculty, and alumni without thinking they’re “crazy or indoctrinated.” Present company excluded.

I’ll take our current student, staff and leadership over aggies any day of the week.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Counterpoint: a good rule of thumb is generally to do the opposite of whatever A&M does. They'd benefit from doing what Costanza did when he decided to do the opposite of his instinct. 

One of the best lines of the show : seinfeld

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Counterpoint: a good rule of thumb is generally to do the opposite of whatever A&M does. They'd benefit from doing what Costanza did when he decided to do the opposite of his instinct. 

One of the best lines of the show : seinfeld

I don’t agree with keeping statues of civil war generals on campuses.  So yes, don’t do that.  But they did say no and it has worked.  We should do the same regarding the Eyes.  Don’t give an inch since the report revealed it has no racist meaning or intent.  Tell anyone who does not like it to Fuck off and go elsewhere.  

55 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I don't.

TEOT isn't about the "players".  The intent of the song was for the University and the students, thereby alums.  That includes the players but it was never intended to "honor" them.  They come find the student section/band and the alums and they sing with us.  Win or lose after a game, but its also played at more than just sporting events.  We don't sing to honor players.  We sing, together, to show others WE are Texas.  

Lastly, if you're uncomfortable (whomever including you/players/band), remember it's just a song and it don't make a shit so move on and let it mean something to those who understand what its about.   

Isn’t that what a lot of the players tried to do?

I don’t agree with keeping statues of civil war generals on campuses.  So yes, don’t do that.  But they did say no and it has worked.  We should do the same regarding the Eyes.  Don’t give an inch since the report revealed it has no racist meaning or intent.  Tell anyone who does not like it to Fuck off and go elsewhere.  

Your premise is that we should tell all the crazy and indoctrinated students (including band and athletes) to fuck off and go elsewhere. And that because aggies did this with a confederate statue, we should do it too. You also are worried that rich students are going to SEC as a consequence of the 6% rule. I was on the fence on the Eyes, but you’ve convinced me to take a side.

On 5/7/2021 at 12:09 PM, n64ra said:

Smart? Go to Auburn?

Good-Fellas-Hilarious.jpg

11 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

"I'm a moron, but my family has wealth. Let me in, Texas."

Good-Fellas-Hilarious.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

For the millionth time, the original poem that the lyrics are based on:

They watch above you all the day, the bright blue eyes of Texas. At midnight they’re with you all the way, the sleepless eyes of Texas. The eyes of Texas are upon you, all the livelong day. The eyes of Texas are upon you. They’re with you all the way. They watch you through the peaceful night. They watch you in the early dawn, when from the eastern skies the high light, tells that the night is gone. Sing me a song of Texas, and Texas’ myriad eyes. Countless as the bright stars, that fill the midnight skies. Vandyke brown, vermillion, sepia, Prussian blue, Ivory black and crimson lac, and eyes of every hue.

I'll keep singin' it.  

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/ut-austin-eyes-of-texas-song-racist/

• Hook 'Em 8

4 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Your premise is that we should tell all the crazy and indoctrinated students (including band and athletes) to fuck off and go elsewhere. And that because aggies did this with a confederate statue, we should do it too. You also are worried that rich students are going to SEC as a consequence of the 6% rule. I was on the fence on the Eyes, but you’ve convinced me to take a side.

Great. Good luck.  

7 hours ago, RollLeft said:

TEOT isn't about the "players".  The intent of the song was for the University and the students, thereby alums.  That includes the players but it was never intended to "honor" them.  They come find the student section/band and the alums and they sing with us.  Win or lose after a game, but its also played at more than just sporting events.  We don't sing to honor players.  We sing, together, to show others WE are Texas.  

Lastly, if you're uncomfortable (whomever including you/players/band), remember it's

I meant specifically in the context of football games. Staying for the eyes was a way of saying win or lose, you players busted your asses out there until the last snap and we stayed to appreciate it instead of leaving to try and beat traffic. It could be 90% of the fans staying after a big win, or 10-20% staying after a bad loss or a drubbing of some cupcake. But it was a way of showing that we were faithful and stayed until the end. If it was a bad loss, we were here cheering you on even when there was no hope because you played on when there was no hope. If it was an easy win, it was a way of saying hey, backups who work hard all offseason and all week long just hoping to have a chance to see the field, we stayed and watched you when the game was no longer in doubt because you deserved that audience and that appreciation.

Right or wrong, I don't think it will ever feel like that again.

We have entered a period where everything is scrutinized to the nth degree and people feel empowered to speak against the slightest of anything that does not “fit” their agenda. And people are so sensitive today that others cave in to these demands. Common sense evades so many people.

Disney recently revamped Snow White’s Scary Adventure ride at DW to make it more kid friendly so as to not “scare” then and make it more relevant. People are still pissed about the ride in saying that Disney still missed the mark because the Prince kissed a sleeping Snow White without her permission! “It teaches sexual aggression against women” they say. It is a freakin fairy tale! Get a life!!!

The University did their study of the song and made a statement. I hope that they stick by their words.

• Hook 'Em 9

For the millionth time, the original poem that the lyrics are based on:

They watch above you all the day, the bright blue eyes of Texas. At midnight they’re with you all the way, the sleepless eyes of Texas. The eyes of Texas are upon you, all the livelong day. The eyes of Texas are upon you. They’re with you all the way. They watch you through the peaceful night. They watch you in the early dawn, when from the eastern skies the high light, tells that the night is gone. Sing me a song of Texas, and Texas’ myriad eyes. Countless as the bright stars, that fill the midnight skies. Vandyke brown, vermillion, sepia, Prussian blue, Ivory black and crimson lac, and eyes of every hue.

I'll keep singin' it.  

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/ut-austin-eyes-of-texas-song-racist/

Maybe true, but did the poet who wrote this wear a cotton shirt that may have been sourced from a southern antebellum plantation? Hmmm?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2