Half-Life: Alyx

MoJames

Can't wait! Got a Vive on day one, been holding off buying the index controllers but if you buy the controllers you get this for free, so I guess I have my excuse now!

Hopefully this will be the convincing title to get people to start really buying in. Valve would be the ones to pull that off.

4 hours ago, MoJames said:

Jesus I might need to get whatever system plays this. So many feels watching this of sitting in my parents kitchen as a kid killing these bad guys.

A pretty robust gaming PC and a VR system. To play something like this on VR on good settings with good framerate I would estimate that PC + VR system/headset would be at least $1,200 and probably more like $1,500.

Here's a good article discussing it:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/21/20976561/half-life-alyx-minimum-specs-upgrade-gaming-pc-cpu-gpu-memory-ram-valve

First, I love me some Valve. Not only for HL and HL2, but for both Portals and for Steam.

However, there's a hunch that this release will abuse the "jump scare" tactic. Half Life and its sequel are two of my all-time favorites, but they both leaned on that too much, and my guess is it will only get worse with Alyx utilizing VR.

Also, seems a bit pretentious to release exclusively as VR. Like, they couldn't come up with anything original for the story or the gameplay so they decided to push the hardware envelope. OK, cool, but your sales are going to suffer as a result.

Or maybe I'm just surly cuz I'm farsighted and VR incompatible. 😎

On 11/22/2019 at 6:32 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

First, I love me some Valve. Not only for HL and HL2, but for both Portals and for Steam.

However, there's a hunch that this release will abuse the "jump scare" tactic. Half Life and its sequel are two of my all-time favorites, but they both leaned on that too much, and my guess is it will only get worse with Alyx utilizing VR.

Also, seems a bit pretentious to release exclusively as VR. Like, they couldn't come up with anything original for the story or the gameplay so they decided to push the hardware envelope. OK, cool, but your sales are going to suffer as a result.

Or maybe I'm just surly cuz I'm farsighted and VR incompatible. 😎

You sure about that? The lenses are supposed to have a focal point at infinity so you should be able to see fine in them.

I never felt that HL 1 or 2 relied on jump scares too much. I do feel like VR is the next logical choice for the HL franchise seeing as how each game had huge innovations to the genre. Be it in-game scripted scenes, physics, realistic lip syncing, etc.

A big game needed to be made to help push VR technology and convince people to jump on board. This game has the opportunity to get the buy in needed to expand the platform.

1 hour ago, Shenanigans said:

You sure about that? The lenses are supposed to have a focal point at infinity so you should be able to see fine in them.

I'm far-sighted, which means I can focus to infinity just fine. What I can't do is focus on anything closer than 18 inches from my face. Started about four years ago. Just a sign of getting old, I suppose.

To each their own, but insisting customers overhaul their systems and their interfaces just to play your game seems a bit self-indulgent. And this coming from a Valve fanboy since 1998 ...

8 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I'm far-sighted, which means I can focus to infinity just fine. What I can't do is focus on anything closer than 18 inches from my face. Started about four years ago. Just a sign of getting old, I suppose.

To each their own, but insisting customers overhaul their systems and their interfaces just to play your game seems a bit self-indulgent. And this coming from a Valve fanboy since 1998 ...

Have you tried it? It might work better than you think. 

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Not lately, no. And that's a fair point.

However, my last comment still applies--even if I could get VR to work, I'm not going to replace/revamp my system and setup merely so I can fill Valve's coffers. They make enough money off me via Steam.

Oh sure. I'm just saying VR basically is a trick on your senses to make it seem like a normal range of perception. So you might have issues, but there's a chance it wouldn't be any different than what you can or can't see normally. 

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...