Olive oil

pops

If there's already a thread, I couldn't find it. If there is, delete and ban.

It is probably my most used condiment when cooking. I don't trust any of the European brands because it's all bullshit. So I switched to California brand a couple years ago because they have to actually use olive oil if they call it olive oil here in this country. Problem is because of growth or the fires or whatever, their shit now has stuff sourced in Portugal or Spain or wherever and they call it "destination" series now. 

I just want olive oil. Good, fruity, tasty, fucking olive oil. What does the surly cognescentti recommend?

19 minutes ago, pops said:

If there's already a thread, I couldn't find it. If there is, delete and ban.

It is probably my most used condiment when cooking. I don't trust any of the European brands because it's all bullshit. So I switched to California brand a couple years ago because they have to actually use olive oil if they call it olive oil here in this country. Problem is because of growth or the fires or whatever, their shit now has stuff sourced in Portugal or Spain or wherever and they call it "destination" series now. 

I just want olive oil. Good, fruity, tasty, fucking olive oil. What does the surly cognescentti recommend?

Costco extra virgin giganto jug 

• Like 5

I also am a heavy OO user and did some research into this myself recently. Trader Joe's evidently has a couple of EVOO good options, which pleased me because I often end up getting mine there. I really like Texas Olive Ranch, and it's nice that it's local(ish), but it is priced above a TJ's obviously. I've never had Costco brand but I have read that is really good, and real.

My wife works for a large grocer based in Texas, developing own brand products. Several years ago she led the project for re-doing the grocer’s own brand of OO. She is no longer developing those types of products, but she still outwardly curses every time we walk by the OO at Costco, and sees the price. Price for quality there is pretty much nothing else in its category. We go through 4 jugs a year.

• Like 4

I'll get a jug of the Costco stuff. Thanks for the recs.  Didn't even think of them 

We Olive out of San Louis Obispo is the best tasting stuff I've ever had. And I keep a bottle at all times but that isn't really good for bulk cooking (not a surly 1%)

4 minutes ago, pops said:

I'll get a jug of the Costco stuff. Thanks for the recs.  Didn't even think of them 

We Olive out of San Louis Obispo is the best tasting stuff I've ever had. And I keep a bottle at all times but that isn't really good for bulk cooking (not a surly 1%)

Costco is good, but you should really try the Napa Olive Oil I mentioned above.  Local California grown and manufactured.

• Like 1

unless you guys are super tasters there's no way you can taste the difference between oo heated up to the point of frying/sauteeing or any other cooking above 350.  olive oil used as a finisher, yes you can definitely tell a difference.  but if you're sweating onions/carrots/celery?  no way.  we use the costco stuff for anything that gets hot and there's a little olive oil store in the arboretum where you can go and taste test different kinds of oil-  we get oil from there we use cold (dressings, vinaigrettes, etc).  otherwise HEB's spanish olive oil selection is pretty decent too. 

On 11/21/2019 at 10:10 PM, UnivTex34 said:

Price for quality there is pretty much nothing else in its category.

i think i know what your post is implying but i honestly have never heard of this phrase (unless either (a) there is a typo there or (b) i'm a little too drunk from losing on gambling and the horns shitting the bed...again)

29 minutes ago, achooloco said:

i think i know what your post is implying but i honestly have never heard of this phrase (unless either (a) there is a typo there or (b) i'm a little too drunk from losing on gambling and the horns shitting the bed...again)

Wife has worked a decade in grocery buying, its used a ton by her industry. But I’ll drink to it....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

unless you guys are super tasters there's no way you can taste the difference between oo heated up to the point of frying/sauteeing or any other cooking above 350.  olive oil used as a finisher, yes you can definitely tell a difference.  but if you're sweating onions/carrots/celery?  no way.  we use the costco stuff for anything that gets hot and there's a little olive oil store in the arboretum where you can go and taste test different kinds of oil-  we get oil from there we use cold (dressings, vinaigrettes, etc).  otherwise HEB's spanish olive oil selection is pretty decent too. 

Seems like a lot of words to say: “I’m a mediocre cook.”

15 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I didn’t know about the fake olive oil thing. I had Spanish roommates in college who always used la Espanola, and so I usually have oil out of the big can of that in pour bottle on the counter and something moderately fancier (and Spanish) in the pantry.

Mafia used to be big into the olive oil trade.  They used to get their hands on a gigantic % of the export.  Not sure how much of that is still true today

On 11/21/2019 at 11:02 PM, pops said:

Mack Tripper beat me to it:  in addition to the jug Kirkland stuff, they usually have an even more high end variety in a smaller container if you don't go through enormous amounts of the stuff. I picked up a 750ml of Cobram California EVOO there a month ago.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Mafia used to be big into the olive oil trade.  They used to get their hands on a gigantic % of the export.  Not sure how much of that is still true today

It's a huge problem in Italy still.  A lot of italian EVOO, even the high end stuff is just canola oil with food coloring.

There was a long EVOO discussion in another group a few months back (see links) and that led me to Iliada, a PDO-certified Greek brand I can get at Central Market. We use that for "cold" uses, dipping bread, making salad dressings, etc. I usually pick up the standard CM to use in my cooking. Trader Joe's brand rates well IIRC too. Hear California Olive Ranch is good.

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/a24284/nicholas-coleman-olive-oil-quotes/?fbclid=IwAR1cYIRMWAzJ345YqdljJR6VxTxM291fhqwgF63qCRLna3EjOdfzHNymtbw

https://www.realfoodforlife.com/the-complete-list-of-authentic-extra-virgein-olive-oils-and-how-to-buy/?fbclid=IwAR0YCiJ-6H-OOwWIbuOjLkcbodtBkZyaeWmVc2UOAps1yNSRqQx1Q96LiPI

• Like 1

I was using HEB/Central Market organics for cooking when the labeling SEEMED clear as to origin, but things are getting murkier.  In a similar vein I've been buying California Olive Ranch for salad dressings, etc. but now you have to really pay attention to the label.

Might be back to CostCo for me, I just don't trust most of these bottlers.

I use Ottavio EVOO from HEB as my everyday oil. I read one of the articles above a couple of years back and it showed to be legit. I have several special EVOOs for caprese salads, and to pour onto pasta dishes. San Saba Olive Company has some good ones, I also have some from a trip to Philly from the Tubby Olive, which are pretty good.

https://www.sansabaoliveoilcompany.com

CHIEF

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I was using HEB/Central Market organics for cooking when the labeling SEEMED clear as to origin, but things are getting murkier.  In a similar vein I've been buying California Olive Ranch for salad dressings, etc. but now you have to really pay attention to the label.

Might be back to CostCo for me, I just don't trust most of these bottlers.

this is what I have noticed a ton of professional cooking folks (BA, NYT, etc) using in videos. May all be paid promotion, but doubt it based on the fact they never mention it specifically or by name...

I like this Frankies 457 Spuntino from Amazon but it isn't cheap (DOP certified, it is what the Franks use in their restaurants) but it isn't a daily use OO

https://www.amazon.com/Frankies-Spuntino-Extra-Virgin-Olive/dp/B0058VCU5O

On December 1, 2019 at 8:18 PM, next2naus said:

they grow and process really good Olive Oil in Temecula CA. I won't tell you what I buy there but its from a Wine maker and it's the tits

I have an even better source for olive oil and I'm not going to tell you what it is. So there. Feel the burn. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 7:18 PM, next2naus said:

they grow and process really good Olive Oil in Temecula CA. I won't tell you what I buy there but its from a Wine maker and it's the tits

Good to know, Mrs. CHIEF's California office is in Perris, and she stays in Temecula. I'll have her ship some home.

CHIEF