it's a dangerous story for this newspaper...

henrygandorf

how dangerous?

well, it's not that we're using nameless sources that bothers me.  or that everything we print, the white house denies.  or that no other papers are reprinting our stuff.

what then?

look, there are two thousand reporters in this town, are there five on watergate?  when did the washington post suddenly get the monopoly on wisdom?  why would the republicans do it?  mcgovern's self-destructed just like humphrey, muskie, the bunch of them.  i don't believe this story.  it doesn't make sense.

figured this was topical, and this movie's been on my mind a lot recently for obvious reasons.  if you haven't read goldman's adventures in the screen trade, it's worth it just for this chapter.  great stories, especially about bernstein and his then fiancee', nora ephron trying to undercut his script.  also robards kills it because he's awesome.

• Like 1

once when I was reporting, lyndon johnson's top guy gave me the word they were looking for a successor to j edgar hoover.  i wrote it and the day it appeared johnson called a press conference and appointed hoover head of the fbi for life.  and when he was done, he turned to his top guy and said, call ben bradlee and tell him fuck you.  everyone said, you did it, bradlee, you screwed up.  you stuck us with hoover forever.  i screwed up, but i wasn't wrong.

• Like 1

You know the results of the latest Gallup Poll? Half the country never even heard of the word Watergate. Nobody gives a shit. You guys are probably pretty tired, right? Well, you should be. Go on home, get a nice hot bath. Rest up... 15 minutes. Then get your asses back in gear. We're under a lot of pressure, you know, and you put us there. Nothing's riding on this except the, uh, first amendment to the Constitution, freedom of the press, and maybe the future of the country. Not that any of that matters, but if you guys fuck up again, I'm going to get mad. Goodnight.

38 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

once when I was reporting, lyndon johnson's top guy gave me the word they were looking for a successor to j edgar hoover.  i wrote it and the day it appeared johnson called a press conference and appointed hoover head of the fbi for life.  and when he was done, he turned to his top guy and said, call ben bradlee and tell him fuck you.  everyone said, you did it, bradlee, you screwed up.  you stuck us with hoover forever.  i screwed up, but i wasn't wrong.

You left off the best part of that scene.

" I can't do the reporting for my reporters, which means I have to trust them. And I hate trusting anybody. Run that baby."

And then Robards walking away, hitting the desk, and slapping his hands.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

You left off the best part of that scene.

" I can't do the reporting for my reporters, which means I have to trust them. And I hate trusting anybody. Run that baby."

And then Robards walking away and hitting the desk.

there was a doc on hbo about ben bradlee not long ago, which was pretty solid.  there was a part where some co-workers basically said after the movie came out - which had robards acting a certain way - bradlee started imitating some of the mannerisms in real life.  it was like he became the movie version of himself.  the people who told the stories were really funny with it.

• Like 1