Which programs do you think have more NFL draft picks on their rosters than Texas this year?

George Clooney

I always see everyone on here and nationally on Twitter saying how Texas greatly underachieves every year given the talent on the roster. I really wonder just how talent is actually on the roster though. You can throw out the recruiting rankings, just look at past NFL drafts and listen to guys like Dane Brugler when it comes to upcoming draft prospects. 

I think the following programs have more draft picks than Texas as of now: Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, A&M, Oregon, Washington, Utah, USC, Notre Dame, Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, OU, and Clemson.

I think the following programs have similar amounts of prospects as Texas: South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arizona St, Stanford, Minnesota, Michigan St, Baylor, TCU, Iowa St, Florida St, and Boston College.

I know it seems absurd to think nearly half of the programs on there could have as many draft prospects as Texas, but just look up those teams' recent draft histories and look up prospect lists for the upcoming draft and beyond. We all like to think that Tom Herman has elevated the recruiting here beyond late stage Mack and Charlie, but has he when you look past the rankings? Which players on the team right now do you think will be drafted in the next four years? 

There is definitely an argument to be made that a guy like Urban Meyer would come to Austin and get more of these players to reach their full potential. If that were to happen, then Texas would rejoin the ranks of the teams in the first group when it comes to developing prospects.

To start, just look at the current upperclassmen on the team. I think Duvernay and Johnson will be drafted. I think at most two of Shackelford, Jones, Braun, and Roach will be drafted. I think Sam, Kerstetter, and Chris Brown have chances to be drafted.

Now looking at the underclassmen, it gets murkier. These are the guys who Tom Herman and co. recruited and hope to be selected in the 2021-23 drafts. These players are too young to really speculate on their draft status fairly, but I think it's safe to assume at least four guys could be drafted in each of those years. It'd definitely be more than four if a great coach like Urban Meyer and his assistants were developing them properly.

37 minutes ago, Blanton said:

Looks like an aderall and 4 cups of coffee kind of night 

Sounds more like strippers and blow with some Makers Mark and Prozac. 

But yeah dude, most of those guys are gonna get drafted. But it’s gonna mostly after the 2nd round. Duv and maybe jones will be in the 2nd. Everyone else is maybe 4th, most likely 5th to UDFA. 

With real development some of these guys could sneak up a few rounds. The 2018 class is where we’ll have like 9 dudes drafted and wonder how we went 9-4