HISD - State of Texas to Takeover School District

Neonmoon

6 hours ago, Nivek said:

My wife talked me down and took the lead.  I typed a few paragraphs about being inappropriate, distressing our kid, and provoking anxiety when he is in a difficult enough transition only to witness a fistfight on the first day of school and how that impacted not only our kid but some of his friends (who are not ASD).    My wife wrote the rest up and then contacted everyone she could and attached the syllabus of 2 different teachers to show how anxiety-provoking/hostile the math teacher's syllabus was.   We were in the process of switching teachers when they fucked that up.   The teacher seemed to be oblivious to her own perception and reached out to us.   Our kid came home, having expected a new schedule, but said it was fine and to keep the current one.  The teacher was trying to be nicer and more accommodating.   Some other parents we know reached out as well, but went straight to the principal and the 6th grade dean.  It seems to have worked for them as well.  Everyone is cautiously optimistic.   

My son (also ASD) and daughter also witnessed a fight in their first week of 6th grade in AISD.  It was two girls and supposedly resulted in a broken nose and jaw for one of them.   I was upset when I heard about it, but neither kid seemed remotely upset or bothered.  I'm now concerned that we've raised a couple of violence-loving weirdos. :)

I grew up in a rough community in West Texas.  There were fights almost every day, and often I was involved.  I would not let one fight derail you too much.  Things are still so much better than they used to be on this front, and there's no school on earth that doesn't have fights between kids on occasion. 

As for the hostile syllabus, that really sucks and I'm curious to know more about what made it so awful.  I'm glad the teacher tried to make things right.

12 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

As a parent of two special needs kids (one with dyslexia and dysgraphia, the other with autism), it fucking infuriates me.  It's especially infuriating in AISD when the main issue is funding, despite paying out the ass in property taxes for education. Fuck those fucking fucks who use kids to score political points.  Texas should be ashamed of itself.

We're fortunate to have the means to get our kids the help they need outside of the school system.  I really feel for those parents who can't.

What's fucked about it is the districts aren't allowed to allocate more money even if they want to. They get in trouble and lose funding if they fund more than 8% of the population.

My oldest is dyslexic and we also did services outside of the district. We had a private CALT do two sessions a week at $120/session for two years. That was painful.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

What's fucked about it is the districts aren't allowed to allocate more money even if they want to. They get in trouble and lose funding if they fund more than 8% of the population.

My oldest is dyslexic and we also did services outside of the district. We had a private CALT do two sessions a week at $120/session for two years. That was painful.

What's also fucked (there's a lot of fucking going on) is that "public schools are failing special ed kids" is one of the biggest attack lines coming from anti-public school groups. So they purposely and deliberately underfund SPED, then turn right around and say underserved SPED kids are the reason we need to shut down public education and turn it all over to charters.

• Rage+1 1