Jump to content
Neonmoon

HISD - State of Texas to Takeover School District

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

My dad went to pre-integration Lamar back when West U kids like him were "the apartment kids" compared to the River Oaks set. That divide still shows up at reunions, 50-plus years later, so he no longer attends them...My daughter is there now and likes the school overall but says the new building was designed by idiots. It is semi-open plan, and she says she is distracted by the goings-on in three or four other classes while trying to focus on what's happening in hers. So, she said, she wants to transfer to Bellaire. I kinda think this was a ploy that had more to do with her social life than academics, though, and she has shut down her campaign to transfer now and seems happy enough. (She lives with her mom and is zone for Westbury. Which is not an option and is a prime example of a lot of things this thread is about: a failing and terrifying school with a formerly Confederate mascot.)

I broke the string of people in my family to graduate from HISD. I went to Strake in the Oil Bust 1980s, back when, like Rice, it was a bargain. Also like Rice, Strake is no longer a bargain, so my son went to Bellaire. Frankly, that was also because my son was a disinterested student and a raging agnostic who would have argued with the priests over every last little thing, and I am a Surly Poor, but my well-to-do, devout Catholic father-in-law was telling me that if his high-achieving Strake grad son was my son's age, he would have thought long and hard about sending his son to HISD and saving that money for his college. 

And no, he wasn't telling me that to make me feel better. Strake really is that expensive now, and if your kid is driven, they can do just as well at Lamar or Bellaire as they could at any private aside from maybe St. John's.)  

doesn't Strake make enough money off of spring fling to lower the tuition.....or is that just a reason for all the beer and alcohol distributors to get big tax right offs....I was like 14 and 15 running around there winning cases of beer and collector bottles of alcohol that they would let you walk off with as a kid

and I think Rice is still a bargain because of the financial aid they offer......most of their students (like a lot of expensive private schools including ultra expensive SMU) are not paying rack rate and those that are paying rack rate can most likely afford it and are subsidizing the tuition of a lot of other students

true the advertised tuition is nowhere near as low as it was in the past though, but I would imagine the financial aid is better overall than it was in the past for many

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ButtFumble said:

doesn't Strake make enough money off of spring fling to lower the tuition.....or is that just a reason for all the beer and alcohol distributors to get big tax right offs....I was like 14 and 15 running around there winning cases of beer and collector bottles of alcohol that they would let you walk off with as a kid

and I think Rice is still a bargain because of the financial aid they offer......most of their students (like a lot of expensive private schools including ultra expensive SMU) are not paying rack rate and those that are paying rack rate can most likely afford it and are subsidizing the tuition of a lot of other students

true the advertised tuition is nowhere near as low as it was in the past though, but I would imagine the financial aid is better overall than it was in the past for many

Maybe Strake is cheaper than other comparable schools thanks to that one day it gets to be a casino, but it is still a lot more than it was in the '80s. They've been on a building/art-buying spree and have also expanded the footprint of the campus back to close to what it was before they had to sell of a few chunks to pay for some greedy priests getting caught up in the Sharpstown scandal in the '70s. 

Also, looks like football is a focus these days as well. This year's team, with a 9-2 record, might be the best in school history, even if they are gonna worked today by Beaumont West Brook. (Who they played non-conference this year. And lost to ~60-20.)

It just seems like a richer school now, with the average student being a laxbro today. Guys in my class started the lacrosse program there in about 1987 and it barely made club status by the time I graduated the following year.

My perception of it is skewed though, as at that time, even most of the rich kids were poor. Those years were the worst economically in the history of Houston aside from the Civil War, and at Strake, the crunch was compounded by the Sharpstown scandal fallout.  

As for Rice, I've heard all that too, but it is still a radical departure from its roots as a debt-free institution with absolutely free tuition to all who qualified. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

Maybe Strake is cheaper than other comparable schools thanks to that one day it gets to be a casino, but it is still a lot more than it was in the '80s. They've been on a building/art-buying spree and have also expanded the footprint of the campus back to close to what it was before they had to sell of a few chunks to pay for some greedy priests getting caught up in the Sharpstown scandal in the '70s. 

Also, looks like football is a focus these days as well. This year's team, with a 9-2 record, might be the best in school history, even if they are gonna worked today by Beaumont West Brook. (Who they played non-conference this year. And lost to ~60-20.)

It just seems like a richer school now, with the average student being a laxbro today. Guys in my class started the lacrosse program there in about 1987 and it barely made club status by the time I graduated the following year.

My perception of it is skewed though, as at that time, even most of the rich kids were poor. Those years were the worst economically in the history of Houston aside from the Civil War, and at Strake, the crunch was compounded by the Sharpstown scandal fallout.  

As for Rice, I've heard all that too, but it is still a radical departure from its roots as a debt-free institution with absolutely free tuition to all who qualified. 

I was joking about spring fling for the most part I don't know how much they make off of it, but shit I know the booze flows fast and cheap

I don't think it was the Sharpstown scandal what I was always told is a priest sold off the land at the front of campus where the shopping center is now, stole the cash and fled the country.....I don't think it had anything to do with Sharpstown

and as for Rice you really can't do the free tuition for all that qualify thing today because of what your enrollment demographics would be....but they probably did not start out charging tuition originally for that reason and I think over time they have actually come back around to being somewhat more affordable for most students vs 15 years or so ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Apparently, if any one school receives a failing grade for more than four or five (reports vary) consecutive years, the district is subject to board replacement/takeover by the TEA.  In this case, it is Wheatley.

That's bad logic. Yes, something should definitely be done when a school(s) is failing but if a district is overall doing well (ok?) then why potentially causes problems for the majority of the schools as well. It also makes some assumption that the state can somehow do better but is there any evidence that they can take over the largest school district in the state and succeed?

Oh well, except for the fact that I give HISD too much money each year, it doesn't really affect me directly.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Poolflood said:

You took your kids out of private because you were convinced HISD was superior?   And you follow that up by pointing out the great urban schools of Bellaire,  west u and river oaks?

Point made Dr. Lathan.

 

Look, man.  I never said I pulled my kids out of private to go to any possible HISD school.  Stop moving the goalposts.  The point was asserted that no one willingly sends their kids to HISD, and that’s just wrong. 


 I lived in DISD.  My kids were zoned to Zaragosa Elementary and then Lipscomb Elementary.  Shitholes, and DISD magnet like Travis is a really hard deal to get in.  So to private they went.  
 

Their private school ended at 4th grade, so we moved to an RISD elementary school which was supposedly highly-rated.  It's in a decently affluent area, but feeds into Forest Meadow JH, which is terrible and shows no sign of change.  And there you are geographically locked in unless you can luck into the fairly limited magnet program. 
Now if I wanted I could have moved out to JJ Pearce, but at that point I am not in Dallas anymore. So back to private they went. 
 

Then we moved to Houston.  The key difference is that in HISD you aren’t really geographically locked in. You can go into a lottery for each level (elementary, JH and HS), and you get up to 10 choices. so, for example, Bellaire has 3 programs, Lamar has 7 or 8. Add in HSPVA, Carnegie, or DeBakey.  All separate lotteries. Chances are therefore well over 75% your child will “win” one of his or her 10.  So no reason to go to a place like Wheatley or Welch if you try.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That's bad logic. Yes, something should definitely be done when a school(s) is failing but if a district is overall doing well (ok?) then why potentially causes problems for the majority of the schools as well. It also makes some assumption that the state can somehow do better but is there any evidence that they can take over the largest school district in the state and succeed?

Oh well, except for the fact that I give HISD too much money each year, it doesn't really affect me directly.

I assume the logic is to avoid a district ignoring one or two challenging schools.  They certainly get an opportunity to remedy the situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TEA is not special. Know one of their own, poor elementary principal in a class 2A district advanced to superintendent of a smaller district then on to be a TEA monitor.  TEA took over Marlin ISD and one of the board managers they appointed was forced to resign because he was a felon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very few neighborhoods in HISD where you can buy and your kids have good schools from k to 12.  Maybe Meyerland.  Them Jews are sharp.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Very few neighborhoods in HISD where you can buy and your kids have good schools from k to 12.  Maybe Meyerland.  Them Jews are sharp.  

But like I said, under the choice program this is less of an issue Than in some places.  You can select three to ten higher performing schools each level and your chances are really good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have several Lamar and Bellaire friends, they seemed to have turned out great. All their kids are hisd, on track to this same HS’s 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

West U elementary.  It’s a dump right now.  

Sack, I  find that a little hard to believe. I know you to be a bit of a curmudgeon on this board and wonder. I lived in West U in yet another chapter of my life, our kids went to Roberts because they started there and it was awesome with so many Med Center kids.

I'm sure you have plenty of toe-heads applying to "your private school". Those parents can send their kids anywhere, but West U parents are by no way, shape or form letting their free school go to hell.  

Although it is interesting how WU moms will not get behind Pershing which also is in their backyard, but opt for Lanier or private. 

 

Edited by Nolacycling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Very few neighborhoods in HISD where you can buy and your kids have good schools from k to 12.  Maybe Meyerland.  Them Jews are sharp.  

Except Meyerland is the first to flood and somehow Bellaire High School survives being so close to Meyerland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Very few neighborhoods in HISD where you can buy and your kids have good schools from k to 12.  Maybe Meyerland.  Them Jews are sharp.  

1. There are tons of neighborhoods with good schools K-12. Pretty much every neighborhood that feeds into Lamar and Bellaire.

2. Bellaire's not really Hebrew High anymore. Emery-Wiener changed that, but BHS has replaced the Jews with Asians as curvewreckers.

1 hour ago, Nolacycling said:

Sack, I  find that a little hard to believe. I know you to be a bit of a curmudgeon on this board and wonder. I lived in West U in yet another chapter of my life, our kids went to Roberts because they started there and it was awesome with so many Med Center kids.

I'm sure you have plenty of toe-heads applying to "your private school". Those parents can send their kids anywhere, but West U parents are by no way, shape or form letting their free school go to hell.  

Although it is interesting how WU moms will not get behind Pershing which also is in their backyard, but opt for Lanier or private. 

 

My son went to Pershing and played West U Little League. One of his teammates, who went to AOS or some shit, asked him if there were metal detectors at the doors of Pershing, like his mom had told him. My son knew that was bullshit but told that kid yeah, there were. And then he started telling them all kinds of lies about his "hood school," like "The Crips run the halls at my school, fool," and crap like that. He loved fucking with people then and still does.

45 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

You mean the district that elected Jolanda Jones as a trustee is struggling? No district is safe if that's the case. 

Don't get me started on that attention whore. But she's gone now and not because of the state takeover. Still and all I think she had more to do with why this has happened than any other one person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

1. There are tons of neighborhoods with good schools K-12. Pretty much every neighborhood that feeds into Lamar and Bellaire.

2. Bellaire's not really Hebrew High anymore. Emery-Wiener changed that, but BHS has replaced the Jews with Asians as curvewreckers.

My son went to Pershing and played West U Little League. One of his teammates, who went to AOS or some shit, asked him if there were metal detectors at the doors of Pershing, like his mom had told him. My son knew that was bullshit but told that kid yeah, there were. And then he started telling them all kinds of lies about his "hood school," like "The Crips run the halls at my school, fool," and crap like that. He loved fucking with people then and still does.

Don't get me started on that attention whore. But she's gone now and not because of the state takeover. Still and all I think she had more to do with why this has happened than any other one person. 

My neighborhood feeds into Lamar.  The elementary school sucks. My nephew and niece go to Pershing.   I think it sucks.

My BiL and SIL don’t think much of Pershing either.  And they are hardly snobs.  They are gung ho Twain supporters (where all their kids went and their youngest still goes).  Twain is an excellent school.  

I don’t know many homes where you can buy and feel good about HISD k-12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

Sack, I  find that a little hard to believe. I know you to be a bit of a curmudgeon on this board and wonder. I lived in West U in yet another chapter of my life, our kids went to Roberts because they started there and it was awesome with so many Med Center kids.

I'm sure you have plenty of toe-heads applying to "your private school". Those parents can send their kids anywhere, but West U parents are by no way, shape or form letting their free school go to hell.  

Although it is interesting how WU moms will not get behind Pershing which also is in their backyard, but opt for Lanier or private. 

 

I’m telling you I have a lot of friends who have kids at West U.  And many are looking to eject.  

And I know for a fact we have had a ton more West U addresses applying for kindergarten than normal.  The facilities there have gone down hill and there is worry about HISD getting taken over.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear you and I believe it. The talk I mean. West U neighborhood is insufferable for never having it good enough for their poor downtrodden little darlings. 

I'm sure their school building is a dump compared to what Episcopal is building, but they already know they're bailing when middle school rolls around and they're saving their $ for that.   

The real story is none of them are shit if they didn't go to Pooh Corner. lol

Edited by Nolacycling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my time at Rice and meeting people in/around Houston, the only high school that seemed to produce students head and shoulders above the others (on average) was St. John’s. From what I could tell-it seemed tough to go to St John’s and go to a school “worse” than UT. I once asked my buddy how many people in his class at SJS went to A&M, and he said one.

But, if you’re talking Bellaire, Lamar, Strake, Kinkaid, etc... Smart kids from all of them, and I’m sure plenty of idiots too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Very few neighborhoods in HISD where you can buy and your kids have good schools from k to 12.  Maybe Meyerland.  Them Jews are sharp.  

depends which side of braeswood you live on i think.

9 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Except Meyerland is the first to flood and somehow Bellaire High School survives being so close to Meyerland.

yeah i'm surprised the past 10 years hasn't completely rearranged the demographics of bellaire.  we have a lot of family in that area.  there's a real stiff upper-lip attitude in those neighborhoods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RiceOwl said:

From my time at Rice and meeting people in/around Houston, the only high school that seemed to produce students head and shoulders above the others (on average) was St. John’s. From what I could tell-it seemed tough to go to St John’s and go to a school “worse” than UT. I once asked my buddy how many people in his class at SJS went to A&M, and he said one.

But, if you’re talking Bellaire, Lamar, Strake, Kinkaid, etc... Smart kids from all of them, and I’m sure plenty of idiots too.  

Kinkaid is getting close to elite these days. It’s prettty clearly #2 behind St Johns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Look, man.  I never said I pulled my kids out of private to go to any possible HISD school.  Stop moving the goalposts.  The point was asserted that no one willingly sends their kids to HISD, and that’s just wrong. 


 I lived in DISD.  My kids were zoned to Zaragosa Elementary and then Lipscomb Elementary.  Shitholes, and DISD magnet like Travis is a really hard deal to get in.  So to private they went.  
 

Their private school ended at 4th grade, so we moved to an RISD elementary school which was supposedly highly-rated.  It's in a decently affluent area, but feeds into Forest Meadow JH, which is terrible and shows no sign of change.  And there you are geographically locked in unless you can luck into the fairly limited magnet program. 
Now if I wanted I could have moved out to JJ Pearce, but at that point I am not in Dallas anymore. So back to private they went. 
 

Then we moved to Houston.  The key difference is that in HISD you aren’t really geographically locked in. You can go into a lottery for each level (elementary, JH and HS), and you get up to 10 choices. so, for example, Bellaire has 3 programs, Lamar has 7 or 8. Add in HSPVA, Carnegie, or DeBakey.  All separate lotteries. Chances are therefore well over 75% your child will “win” one of his or her 10.  So no reason to go to a place like Wheatley or Welch if you try.  

Um no.  I didn't move the goalposts.  You specifically said you sent your kids to HISD and mentioned some very affluent neighborhood schools in support.  I went through "HISD".  Poe, Pershing and Lamar (IB).  Very different than Wheatley or even Davis.   

Additionally it's hard to move goalposts in a first post.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Poolflood said:

Um no.  I didn't move the goalposts.  You specifically said you sent your kids to HISD and mentioned some very affluent neighborhood schools in support.  I went through "HISD".  Poe, Pershing and Lamar (IB).  Very different than Wheatley or even Davis.   

Additionally it's hard to move goalposts in a first post.

 

Yes you  did, because you quoted and responded to my post, which was responding to a post that said unlike AISD no one willingly sends their kids to HISD.  And I was saying that is untrue, as I moved my kids out of private in Dallas to HISD.  
 

That was the only point I was making. Your response implied that I was saying something like “all HISD schools are great” and cherry-picking my list to back it up.  
 

So to be clear, all HISD schools are not great.  Some are travesties.  Some are great, though, iIncluding the ones I named. And, yes, the better schools generally are in better neighborhoods. Shocking.  But, as I have now said 3 times, unlike DISD and RISD,  HISD’s choice program dramatically increases your chances of attending a good school you are not zoned into.  
 

FWIW, I went to Lamar as well, but long enough ago that it’s not really relevant.  Yet, even then, when the world was new, schools in good neighborhoods tended to outperform those in bad ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Yes you  did, because you quoted and responded to my post, which was responding to a post that said unlike AISD no one willingly sends their kids to HISD.  And I was saying that is untrue, as I moved my kids out of private in Dallas to HISD.  
 

That was the only point I was making. Your response implied that I was saying something like “all HISD schools are great” and cherry-picking my list to back it up.  
 

So to be clear, all HISD schools are not great.  Some are travesties.  Some are great, though, iIncluding the ones I named. And, yes, the better schools generally are in better neighborhoods. Shocking.  But, as I have now said 3 times, unlike DISD and RISD,  HISD’s choice program dramatically increases your chances of attending a good school you are not zoned into.  
 

FWIW, I went to Lamar as well, but long enough ago that it’s not really relevant.  Yet, even then, when the world was new, schools in good neighborhoods tended to outperform those in bad ones. 

Sorry dude.  Didn't mean to trigger.  Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Within the last 10 years TEA took over Beaumont ISD.  Tons of problems.  Financial mismanagement. Fraud - - test fixing.   Along with racial strife /distrust. In then end there were multiple federal convictions handed down. I don’t hear much about it anymore , don’t know If that’s a good thing or not. I think things improved.  And I had heard state was looking relinquish control back to the citizenry/local board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beaumont definitely deserved to be taken over. IMO it should be used for things like that, not one failing school in a district that has over 100 schools. It opens the door for the decision to be made over politics more than systemic failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...