NYC Hotels w/o Resort Fees

fwtxbevo

Where in mid-town? I wouldn't say "Most" charge a resort fee.  Many do, but there's plenty of bland convention style business hotels that don't.  Are you just morally opposed to the extra $30/night?  Or would you take a $250/night place that included a resort fee over a $270/night property that had no resort fee?  

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Where in mid-town? I wouldn't say "Most" charge a resort fee.  Many do, but there's plenty of bland convention style business hotels that don't.  Are you just morally opposed to the extra $30/night?  Or would you take a $250/night place that included a resort fee over a $270/night property that had no resort fee?  

Of course, but I would also rather find a $220 a night room without a resort fee than the $250 a night room that includes $30 a night resort fee. For others, don't worry, I am not destitute, just trying to get a good deal. Thank you to those who have made suggestions.

Okay, well what part of mid-town?  That's actually  a very large swath of the island.  You talking west side/clinton/hell's kitchen/even north part of garment district (where I sold rain coats for 45 years) or east towards the UN/even Murray Hill?  I stay in midtown most of the time so I can help guide you.  And yes, resort fees in Manhattan are bullshit since it's not like it's "a resort on an island" even though it technically is.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Okay, well what part of mid-town?  That's actually  a very large swath of the island.  You talking west side/clinton/hell's kitchen/even north part of garment district (where I sold rain coats for 45 years) or east towards the UN/even Murray Hill?  I stay in midtown most of the time so I can help guide you.  And yes, resort fees in Manhattan are bullshit since it's not like it's "a resort on an island" even though it technically is.  

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I lived in Connecticut a few years while growing up, so I have only made day trips into the city, and am by no means an expert in anything NYC. My wife and I are planning to visit in late March for the Knicks-Warriors game, so I was just assumed that staying in mid-town would be the most convenient. However, being budget conscience but not cheap, we would be open to staying in some other part of Manhattan that is fairly safe and very close to public transportation. It has been difficult to compare prices on Expedia due to the resort fees, so I was hoping that veteran Surly NYC visitors/residents could help me out with a list of places where the price per night + tax is the actual price. There are some Airbnb's that appear to be a good value, but staying in a hotel as a part of a package deal seems to be more reasonable.

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

Hotels are quickly adopting the car dealership model.  Fuck that; tell me how much something cost and call it a day....

I get that they use resort fees to make their prices look more competitive on online booking sites but anything that isn’t optional is part of the price. I’m surprised that in a place like NYC the CPB isn’t all over this practice.  

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 5:23 PM, fwtxbevo said:

However, being budget conscience but not cheap, we would be open to staying in some other part of Manhattan that is fairly safe and very close to public transportation. 

Not being a dick, but FYI all of Manhattan that a tourist is probably visiting is fairly safe. Same for public transportation, you’ll have options everywhere. On the off chance you end up not near a train, Lyft/Uber/Via are everywhere, cheap, and the wait is minutes if yellow cabs aren’t your thing. Via is like $5 per person anywhere in Manhattan weekdays 6am-8pm; I had to look that one up bc I knew they had the $5 special but didn’t realize the parameters. 

edit: download the google maps app and the “NYC Subway”; it is a black icon, red circle, with a white train on it. It has ads, but you can ignore or just pay to remove them. Point is, with those two you’ll be able to navigate the subway while looking at your phone like a normal New Yorker  and not look like a tourist, if you are worried about that sorta thing. 

Edited by achooloco