Any Talking Heads heads?

Sbbruin

I was a HUGE Talking Heads fan in the 80's.  David Byrne is a musical genius.  But I will acknowledge you either get it or you don't.  Still listen to them often.  My favorite Heads album was this:

220px-TalkingHeadsRemaininLight.jpg

It was different than anything I'd ever heard.  And so fucking cool.  The "Stop Making Sense" movie was great.  We got very baked and saw it at a local indie theater.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1I97k6bwtY

I was thinking about this because David Byrne was on Fallon the other night.  Hadn't seen hide nor hair from him in years.

What say surly?

• Like 1

Had a David Bryne sighting in the wild last year during ACL.  Was biking home friday afternoon during festival, and DB was stopped in the middle of the pedestrian bridge under Mopac - all white suit with cropped pants, leather satchel, fixie bike, - taking pictures of downtown with an old camera. I hit the brakes and thought - wow this is exactly how I'd picture it.  

• Like 1

I am admittedly -- and ashamedly -- late to the Talking Heads party. I realize I've probably only scratched the surface too. Because "Burning Down the House" was my first exposure to Talking Heads, it didn't really grab me in the mid-80's. I was too far into my Cure, Smiths, REM, etc to pay much attention to Talking Heads. Holy crap was I wrong. David Byrne is a genius. My favorite part of Wall Street is the montage with TH's "This Must Be the Place" playing in the background. It works beautifully.

In all seriousness, while I did enjoy jumping into the 80s with Remain in Light, Talkingheads debut is still my favorite, and really the only one that to me is I think of putting on the platter now and again of all of their stuff.

Side one
No. Title Length
1. "Uh-Oh, Love Comes to Town" 2:48
2. "New Feeling" 3:09
3. "Tentative Decisions" 3:04
4. "Happy Day" 3:55
5. "Who Is It?" 1:41
6. "No Compassion" 4:47
Side two
No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "The Book I Read"   4:06
2. "Don't Worry About the Government"   3:00
3. "First Week/Last Week… Carefree"   3:19
4. "Psycho Killer" Byrne, Chris Frantz, Tina Weymouth 4:19
5. "Pulled Up"   4:29

It just got to complicated.  The foray into south american stuff was appreciated, I guess, but just depressed me in some ways.

Guess you can't keep the good musicians down. 

I saw him play at The Backyard (original one) in the 90’s. I bought a long sleeve mechanic’s shirt with his record label sewn into the pocket. I think it said ‘LukaPop Records.” Some lucky shopper at Goodwill ended up with it. Still makes me sad I got rid of it.

He played a few nights in Marfa a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 10:38 AM, Sbbruin said:

I was a HUGE Talking Heads fan in the 80's.  David Byrne is a musical genius.  But I will acknowledge you either get it or you don't.  Still listen to them often.  My favorite Heads album was this:

220px-TalkingHeadsRemaininLight.jpg

It was different than anything I'd ever heard.  And so fucking cool.  The "Stop Making Sense" movie was great.  We got very baked and saw it at a local indie theater.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1I97k6bwtY

I was thinking about this because David Byrne was on Fallon the other night.  Hadn't seen hide nor hair from him in years.

What say surly?

You'll enjoy this then...

Jerry Harrison, Adrian Belew planning "Remain in Light" tour

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
In all seriousness, while I did enjoy jumping into the 80s with Remain in Light, Talkingheads debut is still my favorite, and really the only one that to me is I think of putting on the platter now and again of all of their stuff.
Side one
No. Title Length
1. "Uh-Oh, Love Comes to Town" 2:48
2. "New Feeling" 3:09
3. "Tentative Decisions" 3:04
4. "Happy Day" 3:55
5. "Who Is It?" 1:41
6. "No Compassion" 4:47
Side two
No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "The Book I Read"   4:06
2. "Don't Worry About the Government"   3:00
3. "First Week/Last Week… Carefree"   3:19
4. "Psycho Killer" Byrne, Chris Frantz, Tina Weymouth 4:19
5. "Pulled Up"   4:29

It just got to complicated.  The foray into south american stuff was appreciated, I guess, but just depressed me in some ways.
Guess you can't keep the good musicians down. 

Byrne did the Latin stuff early in his solo career. He did Rei Momo and also released some compilations of Latin artists on his Luka Bop label.
I saw his Rei Momo tour at The Fair Park Bandshell in ‘90. It was great. An orchestra of top notch Latin musicians. Early summer and you could see lightning in the distance from a big thunderstorm behind the stage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 11/22/2019 at 5:05 PM, ztejas said:

They're great. I need to add some of their vinyl to my collection. 

Lots of mentions of Byrne, Jerry Harrison is also a badass. His '88 solo album Casual Gods has a few great songs, including one of my favorite 80s tracks ever - Man with a gun.

This !

Man With A Gun is as good or better than anything the TH did.

I enjoy Tom Tom Club,also

Saw them at the Fair Park Bandshell in ‘90. Escape from New York tour.
Ramones, Blondie and Tom Tom Club.
They played their stuff, some of Harrison’s solo stuff and some TH stuff. Genius of Love is one of the coolest songs ever.

One of my top 5 favorite college bands. I still kick my self in the ass for not going to see them on their stop making sense tour instead of spending an all nighter studying for an exam that I can't even remember the subject.

It was pretty special. After the show my wife was convinced Byrne was an alien sent to earth to teach us about music.
3e1a072ce6fa1e19eb7600f0f18ba889.jpg

• Like 3