Affordable Watches

GottaB

I guess I should have posted about my Orient here and not on the other thread.  Wanted an automatic for boat/beach/pool when the dress watch was not the right choice.  

How is the illumination on those G-shocks?  I was thinking about getting another watch for hunting but love my Ironman's indiglo feature for checking on legal shooting light.  

12 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

I guess I should have posted about my Orient here and not on the other thread.  Wanted an automatic for boat/beach/pool when the dress watch was not the right choice.  

How is the illumination on those G-shocks?  I was thinking about getting another watch for hunting but love my Ironman's indiglo feature for checking on legal shooting light.  

Lume is good....on demand light is cool also. Damn good beater for the dough. One of my grandsons requisitioned mine....he's mart enough to use the bizzy functions.

Edited by noharleyyet
  • Like 1

That's a hell of a deal.  I have always rather liked most Glycines since I became aware of the brand.  At that price I wonder if the movement is Swiss or Japanese?  Somewhere I saw ETA was not selling outside Swatch Group anymore, so it would be Sellita or Japanese. Probably makes little difference, just curious.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 9/21/2018 at 10:56 AM, TwiceHorn said:

That's a hell of a deal.  I have always rather liked most Glycines since I became aware of the brand.  At that price I wonder if the movement is Swiss or Japanese?  Somewhere I saw ETA was not selling outside Swatch Group anymore, so it would be Sellita or Japanese. Probably makes little difference, just curious.

I bought one from MassDrop last year.

Stopped working after about 6 months, sent it in and received a new one.  2 year warranty if I remember correctly.  Great looking watches for the money.  I might buy another.

• Like 1

That's a big field of choices. I think the game is finding the great value at something less than $800, like finding that great $15 bottle off wine.  It's easy @ $25 and up.
Fair enough. Read some watch bluffs and they'll talk about anything under 10k being affordable.

Currently waiting on a Halios Seaforth. Heard nothing but good things.

$690a4a2bb8609d0d0bf80c8d41c7d97f605.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Halios arrived. Fantastic for the price.

Came with two straps, a blue canvas with leather back that is awesome and a great black rubber stamp too. Love the dial, the date window perfectly matches and blends in. The case is extremely nice. The lume is ok, but not too bright but I love how it goes off the dial and almost had a really really dark yellow hue to it. Lume picture below is after putting it directly under bright LEDs. Looks great but not typically that bright with normal use. Really solid. 1aaadcaeb36117b6f1fbca47ec30931b.jpg2e8f18702bc775d8667d51729c698e7d.jpg25d70a6fd61ea605b15018bdfba403ad.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Picked up this little pre owned Tag for $350 because I liked the look and swapped out the stainless for the leather band. I can't decide if it's too small. It's either 37 or 38 MM and I think 40 is probably my sweet spot. I have fairly small wrists and don't like big flashy watches, but I'm torn on the size of this one. Whatchu fellas think? 20181107_083419.jpg?psid=1&width=440&hei

On 9/9/2018 at 11:43 PM, TwiceHorn said:

How are the Orient Mako, Mako II, Mako USA XL and Ray?  I'm pretty tempted by the (JDM?)  Mako II in the blue or white/luminous face.  Thoughts?

I got the orient ray ii and it's a look and a champ. the blue face. it gets comments often and goes with almost anything i wear. i often shower and sleep with it on.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2018 at 10:43 PM, TwiceHorn said:

How are the Orient Mako, Mako II, Mako USA XL and Ray?  I'm pretty tempted by the (JDM?)  Mako II in the blue or white/luminous face.  Thoughts?

On 12/19/2018 at 4:22 PM, htownjd said:

I got the orient ray ii and it's a look and a champ. the blue face. it gets comments often and goes with almost anything i wear. i often shower and sleep with it on.

This intrigues me.  I’ve been looking for a stainless steel band dive watch in the $100-$250 range for some time.  Daily wear, active, pool and shower, water sports, would like to take to 120’ diving. Prefer battery (automatic?).   The Mako II seems like a contender, but website says it’s only suitable for ‘skindiving’ (snorkeling) despite 200m water resistance rating

91Xk9hnEjVL._UY500_.jpg

Where else should I be looking for a watch like this in this price range?  Invecta? Citizen?

16 minutes ago, solamente73 said:

This intrigues me.  I’ve been looking for a stainless steel band dive watch in the $100-$250 range for some time.  Daily wear, active, pool and shower, water sports, would like to take to 120’ diving. Prefer battery (automatic?).   The Mako II seems like a contender, but website says it’s only suitable for ‘skindiving’ (snorkeling) despite 200m water resistance rating

Where else should I be looking for a watch like this in this price range?  Invecta? Citizen?

Seiko

Also see

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/6wjrsv/rwatches_buying_guide_0250_usd/

• Like 1

I went back to wearing Timex watches a few years ago, after wearing Seiko for a couple of decades. They work great, look good, keep perfect time. I had more problems with my Seiko watches. With a Timex, they get dinged up after a few years, you just buy another one.

There's really is no need to spend over $50 on a watch these days. Especially when you probably carry around a phone all the time.

Edited by DougO

Just now, DougO said:

I went back to wearing Timex watches a few years ago, after wearing Seiko for a couple of decades. They work great, look good, keep perfect time. I had more problems with my Seiko watches. With a Timex, they get dinged up after a few years, you just by another one.

There's really is no need to spend over $50 on a watch these days.

Git the fuck outta here with that noise......

• Like 2

91Xk9hnEjVL._UY500_.jpg

b7d65fa46485d5fb66aabb6ccba53d97.jpg

Citizen Promaster BN0191-55L. Can be had for ~$200 if you look around.
https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/product/BN0191-55L.html

12 hours ago, solamente73 said:

This intrigues me.  I’ve been looking for a stainless steel band dive watch in the $100-$250 range for some time.  Daily wear, active, pool and shower, water sports, would like to take to 120’ diving.

I've taken both a Citizen and a Seiko diving.  Look for the ones that are ISO....uh numbernumbernumbernumber...certified for diving.  They'll say "Diver's X00m" (at least 100) on them. They're solid watches.  

E: ISO 6425.  This doesn't mean that watches that don't say that won't be able to handle it though, just to be clear.  Oh if you get one with a steel bracelet, you might want to check to make sure it has an extender.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

On 2/9/2019 at 2:03 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

My Seiko SRP307 replaced my Citizen which was too damn busy for me with all the extra dials. Like most Seiko watches, you want to pay an extra 20% for one actually made in Japan and not some third world shithole.

I came to post the Seiko Sea Urchin deal on MassDrop and could not figure out the difference with the models that were $20 more.  I now see they all have a J in model number. 

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/seiko-sea-urchin-snzf-watch?utm_placement=12&referer=HGV7RF&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated Daily Promotional 2019-02-14&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily Promotional&utm_content=1550143001179.820350485122757576257187

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP