Affordable Watches

GottaB

For anyone that remembers from the Shag, I was involved in selecting colors for the new Vapaus Vorcut. A nice microbrand with very good overall quality.

Anyways through help from y'all mine was selected as one of the winners with a burnt orange theme. They modified it to a Sunset orange fire the voting and it won the overall voting.

They actually went back to something closer to what I had proposed, although I went with white subdials and they made them black.

Anyways, there are 6 options and several strap options.

You can find them here. They are quality watches and we'll finished. They use a meca quartz instead of a true mechanical movement so they are relatively inexpensive.

I have the 001 version of the Atomic.

https://vapaus.co/collections/vorcut63c20ce20facd2347a5d48fcf8d68937.jpg051f810bb316d73b80c70cc86a657f70.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/14/2019 at 6:36 PM, RaylanGivens said:

Looking at the Steinhart line of watches, anyone purchased from them?

I have a Steinhart limited edition NAV B Uhr.   Reproduction WWII German Luftwaffe pilots watch.  I've had it for several years, and have been very happy for the price.

4 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Hey guys I love the idea of this watch for a pool/boat/beach watch but I wish it was automatic instead of quartz. Any suggestions for an automatic equivalent? Or bite the bullet and go with quartz? 94d76f51bb17e67cde5b06ec6096fb5d.jpg

What do you like about this watch in particular? The chronograph dials on the face? The blue accents? The metal band? And what is your price range?

I don't think Seiko makes a true automatic chronograph watch that will be anywhere close in price to the watch above. If the chronograph feature is not important, there are plenty of affordable Seiko automatics I and others can recommend. If you really want a chronograph without the hassle of a battery, Seiko's Solar line has some in the $300 range, but they are not true automatic watches.

On 3/24/2019 at 8:31 PM, Foggy Notion said:

What do you like about this watch in particular? The chronograph dials on the face? The blue accents? The metal band? And what is your price range?

I don't think Seiko makes a true automatic chronograph watch that will be anywhere close in price to the watch above. If the chronograph feature is not important, there are plenty of affordable Seiko automatics I and others can recommend. If you really want a chronograph without the hassle of a battery, Seiko's Solar line has some in the $300 range, but they are not true automatic watches.

Chrono is not important at all.  I like the color combination and size/materials.  

I just put down a deposit on this Borealis. Can't hotlink the pictures on my phone, so pardon the screencapping - more pictures (and a moving bezel version, and a blue and a green face) at the link.

https://www.borealiswatch.com/store/Borealis-Navale-CuSn8-Bronze-300m-Diver-Watch-Miyota-9015-Black-Version-BF-Fixed-Bezel-p134113612ec4840ca3063bc3fa0fed11c2c607301.jpg4b1509dd8b7f7c8c3edd3aa74882627d.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 2:42 PM, bigshark88 said:

Hey guys I love the idea of this watch for a pool/boat/beach watch but I wish it was automatic instead of quartz. Any suggestions for an automatic equivalent? Or bite the bullet and go with quartz? 94d76f51bb17e67cde5b06ec6096fb5d.jpg

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/seiko-core-skx-dive-watch?utm_placement=0&referer=8ANQE9&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated Daily Promotional 2019-03-27&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily Promotional&utm_content=1553692082131.783909431194721110068160

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

$240 is a bit much for an SKX, especially considering Massdrop's pretenses of cheaper prices through bulk orders. 

Glad you chimed in. I didn't know if it was a good deal or not. Just seemed to fit his wants somewhat.

I've only bought 2 watches on massdrop and I did some pricing first. It was a good deal on the particular 2 I got.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

may not be a popular opinion but I really can't like a watch with either the winding stem or the date at some obscure angle. I guess I'm old school and want them at 3:00.

It is designed not to poke your hand.  Some years ago, after wearing a Hamilton diver for years, I noticed a scaly patch on my left hand.  I didn't know wtf it was.  Leprosy or some shit.  Some time later, I figured out that it was basically a callus from being jabbed and rubbed by the crown of the watch.

Other than that, crowns don't bother me, but the SX007 is a fat heavy fucker with a big crown.  If it were at 3:00 it might be bothersome.

Edited by TwiceHorn

21 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Other than that, crowns don't bother me, but the SX007 is a fat heavy fucker with a big crown.  If it were at 3:00 it might be bothersome.

Really?  That auto Orient diver I posted upthread is easily 2X heavier than this 007.  I was impressed with this Seiko 007 because of its "light weight" when I first put it on.  I may be coming from the wrong direction though.  

42 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

Really?  That auto Orient diver I posted upthread is easily 2X heavier than this 007.  I was impressed with this Seiko 007 because of its "light weight" when I first put it on.  I may be coming from the wrong direction though.  

I dunno?  It's definitely one of the thickest watches I own.  That it sits high may make it feel heavier than it is.  Mine is on a NATO and it's not tight, so it slides up and down some too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Without that one dude who took the outstanding pictures (and posted his "greatest hits" album every few days), this thread really seems to have hit the skids.

I just got this bronze Borealis Navale yesterday and am really digging it. Kind of has a Panerai vibe without being too conspicuously on-the-nose about it.

It seemed very heavy when I opened it up, but it doesn't feel at all noticeable on my wrist.

Really solid and well-made, and their rubber straps are great (I've got an orange one on my orange Monster). I especially like the subtle "matte" texture of the face and the depth of the sandwich dial in contrast to the raised numbers.

My only possible issue (complaint is too strong of a word) is that the buckle is really beefy, and I can envision it being difficult to wear this watch under some cuffs, and the corners are pointed enough that I plan to file them down to be a little more rounded if it seems like they might accidentally rip a shirt.

Very pleased with it. 477d570c7148ec039ca9de0709733de4.jpgadecf7f01109535aaa86b33a9c10ebe2.jpgd65f7043bfa4355380ce232dd7e28923.jpgf5f0ff951d6af4c8969a783fa9a06ed3.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

20 hours ago, drt said:

I have a Citizen.  Love it.  Don't have a Seiko, but I hear great things.  I always thought watch dorks thought higher of Seiko than Citizen but could be off on that.

So no advice really.  I doubt you'd be unhappy with either.

Personally I prefer Seiko.  But that's just me.

I like Seiko automatic watches better than citizen autos. For solar, I have had a better record with citizen. I rotate a lot of watches and the batteries in citizen seem to last longer without sunlight.

Seiko (I have this and the orange face one)
6e11c1fa1429199148adab2cea4b1452.jpg

Citizen
7fb88396d79195c36eb6caa63d8b2b2a.jpg

I’ve also owned about a dozen eco-drives that aren’t five watches. All were really good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I picked this Stauer up yesterday in trade. It had a $115 price tag on it, I see similar going for 160 Or Best Offer on eBay.

Not sure how I feel about it-- it is Subdued Pimp Awful, but almost to the point where it's cool. You have a murdered Morgan Dollar as the face, with a certificate of authentication by a numismatist, which is kind of like selling taxidermied chimps authenticated by Jane Goodall.

On the other hand, it seems to keep good time.

72886962_10101435341581179_7264887385333

72263366_10101435341626089_6626466575824

71881557_10101435341606129_3692977661816

There's a chip on the crystal that'd be easy to fix, but I kind of like things that are less than perfect.

On 10/9/2019 at 8:41 PM, BottleRocket said:

I couldn’t decide so my wife got me both.
I like the look and weight of the Seiko more but it cost 3x more than the Citizen.

3237d42ddbf504bd296ac9527f7eadaa.jpg

Just saw you mentioning looking for a solar diver.  That Citizen ProMaster solar model was on Amazon last week for $105 down from $160 or whatever it normally runs at.  I picked one up.