Affordable Watches

GottaB

Formerly the Seiko Dive Watch thread. I can’t afford a Rolex but I do like me some inexpensive watches.

I got a new rubber strap for my SKX007. Jubilee off. Geckota rubber dive strap on. Thought I’d was a good time to revive the

0b9213655bb350665f909306001c3243.jpg

85c551284dd755b4914f1b776028bbd9.jpg

Better than the stock rubber strap IMO. Very comfortable. Only $9

https://www.watchgecko.com/zuludiver-pvc-rubber-z20-z22-replacement-watch-strap.php

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2018 at 7:43 AM, GottaB said:

Formerly the Seiko Dive Watch thread. I can’t afford a Rolex but I do like me some inexpensive watches.

I got a new rubber strap for my SKX007. Jubilee off. Geckota rubber dive strap on. Thought I’d was a good time to revive the

0b9213655bb350665f909306001c3243.jpg

85c551284dd755b4914f1b776028bbd9.jpg

Better than the stock rubber strap IMO. Very comfortable. Only $9

https://www.watchgecko.com/zuludiver-pvc-rubber-z20-z22-replacement-watch-strap.php

Thanks for starting this thread. Love these types of watches.

It appears in the first pic that the lower (longer) strap is on backwards, as it looks to be the grainy side. I'm not familiar with that brand of strap, but I know the Seiko rubber straps have a smooth side and a grainy side - the smooth side is what you see while wearing the watch.

Could just be the picture.

Edited by irockalltherocks

Thanks for starting this thread. Love these types of watches.
It appears in the first pic that the lower (longer) strap is on backwards, as it looks to be the grainy side. I'm not familiar with that brand of strap, but I know the Seiko rubber straps have a smooth side and a grainy side - the smooth side is what you see while wearing the watch.
Could just be the picture.

I’ll have to look but it isn’t a Seiko strap. It’s a strap from WatchGecko. So perhaps they mucked it up.

On 4/7/2018 at 5:05 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Kind of hoping MeSo didn't come over.   We've seen all his I think.

Probably belongs in the trivial things that grind your gears thread but centered and italicized text got on my good nerve. Outstanding photos tho. xD 

I appreciated his initial contributions, but was a little annoyed when it became clear that he was posting the same watches over and over again (at least to some extent), chronicling his multiple daily watch changes (does anyone else regularly change watches multiple times in a day?), and posting carefully selected pictures clearly taken on different dates. The old thread really kind of devolved under his deluge of posts.  Still, I wouldn't mind if he somehow made it over here. 

He was also weirdly proprietary about his watches - like he wanted to show them off, and talk all about them, but if you asked him a question, he'd ignore it. Or if you were lucky, he'd PM you the answer.

I sensed that he might not have got the news about the new digs while the old house was burning down, so I sent him the link via a posrep, but as far as I can tell, he didn't make the jump. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018 at 10:59 PM, BabaYaga said:

This thread is great.  That Seiko is really clean.  As is that Citizen Solar.  What about digital?  Specifically Sunnto Core and Garmin Fenix?  Anyone use them?  Battery issues?

why do you want the suunto - for style, or for function?

suunto has slightly more accurate Altim Barom Compass (ABC) modules than casio gshock.  for everything else, gshocks kicks the shit out of it - durability, features, build, etc.  solar powered, so no battery issues.

garmin fenix isnt really a watch, more like a wrist mounted fitness computer.  one wouldnt really kept it worn all the time

On 6/17/2018 at 4:50 AM, 52-80 said:

why do you want the suunto - for style, or for function?

suunto has slightly more accurate Altim Barom Compass (ABC) modules than casio gshock.  for everything else, gshocks kicks the shit out of it - durability, features, build, etc.  solar powered, so no battery issues.

garmin fenix isnt really a watch, more like a wrist mounted fitness computer.  one wouldnt really kept it worn all the time

Do you even "tacti-cool" brah?  Haha, funny thing is, I picked up a new G-shock yesterday.  I do with they had a slightly lower profile, but this thing's a tank.  Took it for a run, swim, then through a kettlebell workout.  Hoping this things keep cranking for many years to come

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 3:09 PM, huge said:

Thanks to whoever recommended this GShock.

$39 delivered on Prime.

d7970e76e6e7b1572280cc6755352897.jpg

Loving mine (gw-m500f).  "Higher end watches" (Omega, Rolex & IWC) collecting dust.  I love not having to worry about it.  At the gym.  Using kettlebells.  Working in the yard.  Home repairs.  Going to the ranch for work weekends and filling/moving feeders.  

28 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Yeah that’s a big price swing but I’m wary of the places I’ve never heard of.

BTW what makes a diver a diver? Is it any Seiko dive watch?

Generally, and in no particular order:  Water resistance obviously.  Illumination on face for use in low visibility.  Ability of band to expand (use with wetsuits).  Anything else?  If you really dive on more than a recreational level, your dive computer(s) are what you use.

I read Buzz to be asking if the "Seiko Diver Watch" is a specific model or just any dive watch made by Seiko?
Baba, I'd add water resistant to minimum 100M and a bezel.  I prefer metal bands.

Yes, that’s what I was asking. I’m aware that no one really uses them for dive timing any more.

On 6/14/2018 at 7:19 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Orient watches 45% off with the code THANKSDAD. That brings a number of their offerings under $200.  https://www.orientwatchusa.com/product-category/mens-watches/

I've had this Orient for five years now and really like it.  It's my "knock around" watch when the Submariner is not appropriate (i.e. traveling through third-world shitholes... or Oklahoma):

FTT11003W.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There's a set of standards for what qualifies a watch as a dive watch - 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_watch#ISO_6425_standard_for_diving_watches

but loosely it's at least 100m resistance, uni-directional rotating bezel, highly visible hour markers, lume present on all three hands and the hour marker and the pip in the bezel, and generally shock and magnet resistant. 

I have a couple of Seiko divers and the SRP775 (or 777 or 773, the turtle) is a really great watch imo.  The SKX007 is a classic, I have an MM300 which is cool but tall and top heavy (and expensive), the turtle really punches above its weight and is worn most frequently of the three.  Specifically in comparison to the 007, the applied markers (not painted), second hacking (second hand stops when you pull out the crown), and the bezel feels nicer.  I like the 775 because the gold is a bit fun and also the gold print on the dial makes it appear less busy (since it disappears into the black a bit).

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/long-term-wear-report-on-the-seiko-turtle-srp-775-black-and-gold
(photo from the article)

P4201913.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&auto=form

On 8/17/2018 at 10:52 PM, Celery Man said:

There's a set of standards for what qualifies a watch as a dive watch - 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_watch#ISO_6425_standard_for_diving_watches

but loosely it's at least 100m resistance, uni-directional rotating bezel, highly visible hour markers, lume present on all three hands and the hour marker and the pip in the bezel, and generally shock and magnet resistant. 

I have a couple of Seiko divers and the SRP775 (or 777 or 773, the turtle) is a really great watch imo.  The SKX007 is a classic, I have an MM300 which is cool but tall and top heavy (and expensive), the turtle really punches above its weight and is worn most frequently of the three.  Specifically in comparison to the 007, the applied markers (not painted), second hacking (second hand stops when you pull out the crown), and the bezel feels nicer.  I like the 775 because the gold is a bit fun and also the gold print on the dial makes it appear less busy (since it disappears into the black a bit).

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/long-term-wear-report-on-the-seiko-turtle-srp-775-black-and-gold
(photo from the article)

P4201913.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&auto=form

I always liked the Seikos

• 2 weeks later...