Harvard/Yale Game Delayed Due To Protest in Middle of the Field

Vic Mackey

HARVARD-YALE FOOTBALL GAMEDELAYED DUE TO CLIMATE PROTEST... Students Rush Field

The Harvard-Yale college football game that's underway in New Haven is currently on hold because a bunch of students stormed the field to protest climate change.

It appears the protest got underway between the second and third quarters of the game, as swarms of people strolled out from the bleachers and elsewhere with signs that read, "NOBODY WINS: YALE & HARVARD ARE COMPLICIT IN CLIMATE INJUSTICE."

It appears students from both universities are sitting in together, and it quickly snowballed into a mass demonstration, with more than a quarter of the gridiron taken up by bodies.

What's interesting is the fact that ESPNU -- where the game is being broadcast -- has turned the cameras away from the ruckus on the field. Right now, the network has switched over to a completely different game ... obviously, they don't wanna air any of that noise.

As for what's gonna happen next ... it looks like cops are getting involved. Reports on the ground say that arrests are being made -- but, frankly, it might take a while. There looks to be at least 100 different heads out there, most of whom seem pretty down to go to jail.

The deans of both schools are also on the pitch, apparently attempting to talk to the students. Their beef seems to be with endowment money that students seem to think is being invested in the fossil fuel industry ... they want their schools to divest.

Story developing ...

harvard-yale-protest.jpg

I'm all for it.  The fate of the world depends on brave souls like them.

Supporters of the demonstration said they knew firsthand about the effects of climate change.

“My country is on fire right now,” Akio Ho, a student at Yale said, referring to Australia. “Unprecedented wildfires are ripping through homes right now. Climate change and the climate crisis is an extremely urgent problem.”

Harvard has declined to divest for years. Yale has made some divestment pledges, but got into trouble with its activists over a $122 million investment in a fracking-related company, Antero; after a protest in December, the school dropped much of that investment.

The fossil fuel divestment movement, which started small at schools like Swarthmore around 2011, is now a global movement with commitments from more than a thousand organizations and tens of thousands of individuals controlling some $8.8 trillion in combined assets.

At the end of last year, Lawrence Bacow, the president of Harvard, told The Harvard Crimson that there were more effective ways to “bring about meaningful change” than divestment.

Edited by Bullneck
  • Like 1

the Yale Endowment model is known the world over for best practices on how to grow your endowment.  We follow it at Texas Exes, I've worked with UTIMCO & TPSF on adopting it.  

And the Yale Endowment model worked so well for so long for two reasons:  Weapons & Oil. 

Half the kids at that protest benefit directly from it, if not more.  

Edited by Lobo

20 hours ago, Henry Hill said:

Expel all students involved and have them experience actual consequences for their actions for the first time in their lives.

Expel them for protesting? Geez just fucking put them up at the firing squad. 

13 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

That's so cute. Cynical disdain not being  sign of emotional upset? Adorable.

I see a lot of upset threads on the football forum this morning, but this ain't one of those threads.  We're all very proud of your B- in Psych 101.  

I think most of us who work in these related fields find it more amusing that the very people who've designed this investment system are the ones pouting about it.  

I applaud the protest. I think it's clever. I think the issue is worthy.

Sports stations have a policy of not showing interruptions of games so as not to encourage streakers or protesters. It'd be funny if they turned their cameras away while news stations went live with it. I think the sports policy is fine, by the way.

Like Walden Ponderer, I find the disdain amusing and familiar from CR.

• Like 1