How? How has it come to this?

NTVTXN

19 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I was talking to a couple of UT fans about this. There are two schools with massive scandals (Baylor, PSU) in recent history that are light years ahead of out program. Jeff Luhnow is going to be free soon, Just get him in as AD.

North Carolina under 1st year HC Mack Brown is 5-6 overall with a 3-4 conference record. Where is this program under 3rd year HC Tom Herman? Once again on the outside looking in. Was last season going to end up being his best at UT before he gets canned for the next fool?

3 hours ago, BradWilcox said:

I was watching the TCU at OU game last night and at the very end caught a quick glimpse of a OU player throwing the Horns down. Didn't get his number or name and have no desire to watch their replay to find out but did see it so yeah it still happens. I heard it has something to do with freedom of speech and freedom of expression. It's no different than calling them Chokelahoma or calling the aggy a aggy.

Yup/ No argument, here.
I love the rivalry with ou (Sports Y’all!) 

I’m just more tolerant when Texas is good...

54 minutes ago, Gigglebush said:

Most data driven analysts predicted we would have a worse record this year. Turns out they were right. Most posters here bought the hype behind our stud WR recruits and just assumed that the new underclassmen starters on defense would be an upgrade over our seniors from last year.

WR - they are too big to be fast and too big to make cuts in tight spaces.  We need Edelman types or guys with quicks.  These guys have none of that, a lack of team speed on offense, agree? The big WR gang we have is built for a power running game, not 5 wide.

Edited by NowThis

1 hour ago, Gigglebush said:

Most data driven analysts predicted we would have a worse record this year. Turns out they were right. Most posters here bought the hype behind our stud WR recruits and just assumed that the new underclassmen starters on defense would be an upgrade over our seniors from last year.

This is correct.  We assumed Herman was an elite coach which is wrong.  He is the same as every average coach that relies on elite senior talent to win football games.  Elite coaches coach up the RS freshman to be champs.  Herman can't do this.  He is average at best.

With Tom Herman, our best shot at making the playoff will be when Ja Quinden Jackson is a junior which is 5-6 years from now.  A coach might get that long at Tech or Bailor but it's not going to happen at Texas.  There is no patience for mediocre.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

Correct. We never got the highly intelligent coaching we were promised. Certainly not intelligent enough coaching to turn ISU and TCU into wins. We aren’t getting blown out like with Charlie but do we honestly see things ever getting better than not losing 4 games a year? We would have to get two great coordinators and turn over a massive amount of staff and wish that all this new blood are able to take advantage of Sam’s senior year. Do we trust Herman to make that decision?

4 hours ago, NowThis said:

WR - they are too big to be fast and too big to make cuts in tight spaces.  We need Edelman types or guys with quicks.  These guys have none of that, a lack of team speed on offense, agree? The big WR gang we have is built for a power running game, not 5 wide.

This is a fallacy that just having small quick guys fixes things.  you have to have an OC that can scheme the "edelman types" open.  we have no such OC.  DD and Sam are doing most of what they do on their own.

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

Correct. We never got the highly intelligent coaching we were promised. Certainly not intelligent enough coaching to turn ISU and TCU into wins. We aren’t getting blown out like with Charlie but do we honestly see things ever getting better than not losing 4 games a year? We would have to get two great coordinators and turn over a massive amount of staff and wish that all this new blood are able to take advantage of Sam’s senior year. Do we trust Herman to make that decision?

I would be happy if I didn’t consistently see guys not directly involved in a play just sort of standing around. Way to many examples of defensive guys slowing (in some cases stopping) when a teammate is making a tackle. Rather then hustling over to assist making sure the ball carrier is taken down. That is lazy, and a lack of commitment. And should be pointed out in film study. If you don’t hustle, you don’t play. How hard is that?

On 11/24/2019 at 11:42 AM, pyrohornIII said:

There obviously is something to this.    All I could think of watching that game was how in the fuck no one was saying anything about how Baylor ended up at 1-11.   The announcers were all about how they had battled back from adversity and should be commended for doing so.  Not a single mention of the lenient treatment that institution got.  The real story here is that you can obviously get away with murder (Bliss) and rape and no one cares. 

Cheating in recruiting negative recruiting, scheduling patsies, allowing or aiding improprieties, nothing matters.   Not just football, but other sports as well.  KU and their basketball mess for example.

The NCAA is toothless and everyone knows it.   I don't like the idea of bending/breaking rules, but if no one else is going to be punished then why do we enter this gunfight with a knife?

But then, even if we did cheat ALOT, it wouldn't overcome the horrendous coaching we have endured for over a decade now.

welp, imma say it. America it is. 

11 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

This is correct.  We assumed Herman was an elite coach which is wrong.  He is the same as every average coach that relies on elite senior talent to win football games.  Elite coaches coach up the RS freshman to be champs.  Herman can't do this.  He is average at best.

With Tom Herman, our best shot at making the playoff will be when Ja Quinden Jackson is a junior which is 5-6 years from now.  A coach might get that long at Tech or Bailor but it's not going to happen at Texas.  There is no patience for mediocre.

LOL "we" never assumed Herman was an elite coach.

Many people drank the koolaid because he beat OU and FSU, was a GA at Texas and was in our backyard.  Others brought up SMU, Navy, etc. and got shouted down or blown off.  The signs that he was an average coach were there all along but many refused to believe it.  Some of us knew Tom Herman was the wrong hire from the beginning - he was the G5 flavor of the month who could coach up his team as underdogs but lose as favorites and his gimmicks were annoying from his time at UH. 

Newflash - it is already a repeat of UH.  Winning a few games as underdogs (OU last year, Sugar Bowl) and losing a bunch of games as a favorite (Maryland x2, Tech, ISU, OSU, etc.) 

Edited by Js1

8 hours ago, General Specific said:

No, it’s because you can’t stop touching yourself!

Not only do kittens die, but we suck at football. All because you refuse to stop touching yourself.

My touching myself is not going to stop.

Also, I’m not above sacrificing kittens for a successful Texas Longhorns Football team. 

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

LOL "we" never assumed Herman was an elite coach.

Many people drank the koolaid because he beat OU and FSU, was a GA at Texas and was in our backyard.  Others brought up SMU, Navy, etc. and got shouted down or blown off.  The signs that he was an average coach were there all along but many refused to believe it.  Some of us knew Tom Herman was the wrong hire from the beginning - he was the G5 flavor of the month who could coach up his team as underdogs but lose as favorites and his gimmicks were annoying from his time at UH. 

So, in other words, Fertitta knowingly screwed over Texas.  It all makes sense now... well Landry’s sucks anyway.

I think it started when Texas pulled the Cronkite commercials/voice overs for Barbara Conrad. 

They’ve since brought back the “but most of all get your horns up” one of Cronkite but the damage to mojo was already done. 

It’s Texas’ “Curse of the Bambino”. Who knows how long it’ll take to wear off. 

• Like 1

Deloss Dodds - this program became all about the $$$ and being #1 in revenue. Lot of blame here to go around 

Can you outline your logic step by step to how this has led to current coaches and players sucking ass??

So tired of the bitching about Mack and Deloss. We're two coaching staffs fucking removed...let it go.

I think there is a strong argument that this is the most disappointing team in Longhorn history, certainly since 1970.

We supposedly have the right coach, a couple of very good recruiting classes, and the momentum from 2018. And yet it’s a complete dumpster fire with serious team, player, coaching, portal, transfer and decommitment issues to go on top of the losses.

The other years that would also be hugely disappointing are 1986, 1997, and 1991. I’m sure there are others. But 2019 in my opinion “takes the cake”.

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I think there is a strong argument that this is the most disappointing team in Longhorn history, certainly since 1970.

We supposedly have the right coach, a couple of very good recruiting classes, and the momentum from 2018. And yet it’s a complete dumpster fire with serious team, player, coaching, portal, transfer and decommitment issues to go on top of the losses.

The other years that would also be hugely disappointing are 1986, 1997, and 1991. I’m sure there are others. But 2019 in my opinion “takes the cake”.

I think 1997 was worse. 

2010 was shit, too.

I'm used to seasons like this.