Juwan Mitchell

Fondren & Main

• 6 months later...

(Sure seems to be frustrated a lot...)

Juwan Mitchell says he isn't 'comfortable representing Texas'

By.  TAYLOR ESTES 8 hours ago

A third Texas Longhorn has publicly claimed he does not want to be associated with the University of Texas. Junior linebacker Juwan Mitchell said in a Twitter statement Wednesday evening that he does not "feel comfortable representing the University of Texas."

"We put our blood, sweat and tears in every day so the city of Austin can enjoy their Saturday's," Mitchell posted on his personal Twitter page Wednesday. "For once, we decide to voice our opinions about things that can help better the community.

"It seems they only have our front but not our backs. People who want to create change don't care how much money can be lost, don't care about who hates them or any bad outcomes that may happen. The only thing on your mind should be equality.

"When I look in the mirror in the morning, I want to tell myself I did the right thing. That should be everyone's mindsets. It's not about blacks vs. whites, or cops (vs.) blacks. It's about doing what's right!

"With that being said, I do not feel comfortable representing the University of Texas."

Mitchell's comments come a few weeks after wide receiver Brennan Eagles announced his plans to "not play another snap" for Texas.

“I’m not going to play another snap knowing what’s going on in our society due to color and the system being broken," Eagles said. "I just can’t."

In addition to Mitchell and Eagles, junior cornerback Anthony Cook announced last week on Twitter that he will not play for Texas, though his tweet has since been deleted.

"Due to unfortunate situations I will not be playing another snap for the University of Texas," Cook said. "(This) Has nothing to do with anyone or anything. Please respect my decision."

This is a developing story.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-Juwan-Mitchell-claims-he-wont-represent-the-University-of-Texas-148286609/

Edited by LTtxfan

54 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I get what he's saying but I feel comfortable that Texas can find 22 guys who want a scholarship to line up to play football. There is a point at which people stop listening and start tuning out.

Just seems to be unhappy, and maybe in his own way is asking for help.  

Hope JuJu spends some time with Kevin Washington...

Edited by LTtxfan

19 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

What the hell? I mean I just learn about this petition a few days ago and now we have multiple people refusing to play another down?

Is there some broader context I am missing here?

There was a meeting with CDC, Fenves, and the team yesterday. Looks like it didn't go well.

• Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

There was a meeting with CDC, Fenves, and the team yesterday. Looks like it didn't go well.

I mean, Juwan Mitchell isn't exactly the greatest barometer for team morale. I can't remember who said that he "always has a black cloud over his head," but that seems pretty accurate given his very public emotional swings.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Not Fenves but the new guy. Yeah I know I referenced that in the other thread. It just seems to have escalated so quickly. I just have a hard time seeing imagining CDC just telling them "No, fuck you!" 

But I was not aware Cook and Eagles had said they were not ever going to play another down for us weeks ago, well before this meeting. That's crazy.

Obviously I missed something. Is this really just about the Eyes of Texas? What is the real issue here?

Edited by Valmy77

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I mean, Juwan Mitchell isn't exactly the greatest barometer for team morale. I can't remember who said that he "always has a black cloud over his head," but that seems pretty accurate given his very public emotional swings.

not just juwan

dunno if that means he supports him or is also quitting the team. 

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

How does the saying go, if you are in a room and you think you are surrounded by assholes, it's not them?

• Like 1