Juwan Mitchell

Fondren & Main

4 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Hartzell (interim president) is a colossal prick. Would not surprise me in the slightest if he said some dumb shit yesterday that pissed the players off.

Clearly it didn’t go well, and players are turning up the heat. Let’s let it play out, and be glad this isn’t happening under Steve Patterson.

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Is he? Well that sucks. 

Not sure if he's Steve Patterson-levels of douchebaggery but I don't have faith that Hartzell would be able to effectively participate in that kind of empathetic conversation on such an emotional topic. Just from my personal experiences with him and second-hand stories I've heard.

I actually hope that the push for some on-campus changes works out, but the threatening to quit and all that feels like the standard every-single-offseason "oh my God are we even going to be able to field a team" drama that always happens. Especially with Mitchell and Overshown seeming to be the most emotional about it at this point, like they are about everything.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mininghorn88 said:

If they all quit where will they go? All schools have something wrong with them in some way. Will the NCAA waive any sit time for those that are transferring because of racial issues?

With the pandemic I am sure the NCAA will be allowing all kinds of things. Probably a good time to do a mass walk out.

I just wish I had a better grasp on the situation and what the real issues are.

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Lots of players tweeted the same stuff after Eagles announced his intention to sit out and when Cook said he was quitting. 

I took Eagles announcement much differently. His seemed more of a "there are bigger things going on than football right now, we can't focus on football when there are bigger things happening right now".  I took Juwan's as a direct attack on UT, admin, coaches, alumni.

• Like 6

I mean really? Are they really that upset about Jim Hogg, Robert Moore, George Littlefield and the Eyes of Texas? Surely something more sinister is going on here for them all to be taking this so personally.

Cook is already back with the team. Eagles has already walked back his comments about sitting out the year. 

Until something actually happens that isn't reactionary/emotional responses from players on twitter let me know. 

• Like 1

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I took Eagles announcement much differently. His seemed more of a "there are bigger things going on than football right now, we can't focus on football when there are bigger things happening right now".  I took Juwan's as a direct attack on UT, admin, coaches, alumni.

Ah ok that is a key difference.

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Cook is already back with the team. Eagles has already walked back his comments about sitting out the year. 

Until something actually happens that isn't reactionary/emotional responses from players on twitter let me know. 

Well all I did was just read the article from 247 Sports and it made it sound like all of these are connected together as if there is some kind of mass movement going on. I don't know anything.

7 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Not sure if he's Steve Patterson-levels of douchebaggery but I don't have faith that Hartzell would be able to effectively participate in that kind of empathetic conversation on such an emotional topic. Just from my personal experiences with him and second-hand stories I've heard.

Hartzell might be a dick but he's been very progressive with changes when it comes to racial issues. 

He got rid of several racially insensitive decorations/statues in the business school, he's the reason they added a diversity and inclusion committee/program in McCombs, and he's been vocal about adding more diversity through immigration programs. 

He's pretty damn progressive when it comes to this stuff. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Well all I did was just read the article from 247 Sports and it made it sound like all of these are connected together as if there is some kind of mass movement going on. I don't know anything.

Well, there's definitely been a mass movement on twitter. Lots of players were tweeting similar stuff when Eagles announced his intention to sit out and Cook announced he was quitting. 

I dunno. Shit is thrown around on twitter. So far it's just been a lot of talk and nobody is gone. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Well, there's definitely been a mass movement on twitter. Lots of players were tweeting similar stuff when Eagles announced his intention to sit out and Cook announced he was quitting. 

I dunno. Shit is thrown around on twitter. So far it's just been a lot of talk and nobody is gone. 

Ok well that is some pretty extreme sounding posturing. 

I guess I will just wait for developments. I have to believe the University will do the right thing here...whatever it is.

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Cooks announcement happened right before those demands were given. 

I never viewed Cook's announcement as a transfer but rather a player that was quitting because of the issues at Texas. Mitchell's commments/statement look similar to Cook's if you ask me. 

Hours later Cook was back with the team. Granted, Mitchell has a different history at Texas and has been kind of a headcase from the start. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Ok so Tim Crowder is saying we might not have a team next season? 

Twitter is stupid. If you read the thread, Tim is responding directly to the fans in the mentions telling him to just transfer. He’s telling the fans they may have no team this fall.

Edited by Nope

1 minute ago, Nope said:

Twitter is stupid. If you read the thread, Tim is actually responding to the fans in the mentions telling him to just transfer. He’s telling the fans they may have no team this fall.

I am aware. There is a reason I don't go on twitter. But Crowder is a respected alumni so that seems like a big statement to take seriously. I guess it was just directed at moronic fans on twitter? 

Just now, Valmy77 said:

I am aware. There is a reason I don't go on twitter. But Crowder is a respected alumni so that seems like a big statement to take seriously. I guess it was just directed at moronic fans on twitter? 

You got it

Just now, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm not much of a twitter user, but I haven't seen anything posted about athletes from other sports at Texas, in particular baseball.  Singing the Eyes after games seems to be a pretty big deal at the baseball games. 

Not to dwell on the obvious here but the baseball team is mostly white players. Most of us had no idea anybody had any problem with the Eyes of Texas...well except certain people said it sounds like hell.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm not much of a twitter user, but I haven't seen anything posted about athletes from other sports at Texas, in particular baseball.  Singing the Eyes after games seems to be a pretty big deal at the baseball games. 

Cameron Rupp tweeted he stands with the current players and the letter.

A couple of current volleyball players too (Skylar Fields and Jhenna Gabriel) 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

8 people liked this.

Amazing - a black player speaks their mind and get sent straight to the shit pile by Texas "fans" 

Tom wasn't wrong - some people only support them for 3 hours for 12 Saturdays in the fall and DGAF about them the rest of the week

A black athlete pushing for change I will always support but when the athlete quits on his team I will never support that.  He can certainly do it but that is where my support stops.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Cooks announcement happened right before those demands were given. 

I never viewed Cook's announcement as a transfer but rather a player that was quitting because of the issues at Texas. Mitchell's commments/statement look similar to Cook's if you ask me. 

Hours later Cook was back with the team. Granted, Mitchell has a different history at Texas and has been kind of a headcase from the start. 

Did I miss confirmation that Cook was back with the team? Last I saw was Anwar's tweet that he was expected back in Austin on Sunday but I may have missed confirmation that he actually arrived.

52 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Wiley, too. Wiley also tweeted this one:

edit: Willie Tyler replied as well. Doesn't seem like this is just Juwan being malcontent about other things.

Wiley...

Pinned Tweet
KVaMdcDO_bigger.jpg   JDub   @Jaredwiley23
I’m white  😣  this is a movement for all athletes 👊  🖤

Quote Tweet

Qz61aRe5_normal.jpeg   Brian Davis     @BDavisAAS
· Jun 12
Several black Texas athletes are requesting changes this fall, including changing the names of buildings, a black athlete history exhibit and to stop requiring athletes to sing "The Eyes of Texas." twitter.com/_BrennanEagles…

Edited by LTtxfan

If it wasn't for the team being razor thin at LB  Juwan would've been dismissed from the team quite some time ago, he's a malcontent. If Juwan feels Texas is an oppressive university all of a sudden then perhaps he should transfer to the shit hole SEC school out in the eastern part of the state and soak in the aggy culture. When it boils down to it Juwan was never a good fit at the university and there have been issues with him throughout his tenure at the university.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

I think he’s telling people to take a deep breath and think before they tweet. 

No - he's talking to the people replying to Juwan that he should 'just transfer'.  He's letting them know if they want every player who is upset to transfer that the fans might no longer have a team.

• Like 1

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

No - he's talking to the people replying to Juwan that he should 'just transfer'.  He's letting them know if they want every player who is upset to transfer that the fans might no longer have a team.

That’s precisely what I mean. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Quote Tweet

Qz61aRe5_normal.jpeg   Brian Davis     @BDavisAAS
· Jun 12
Several black Texas athletes are requesting changes this fall, including changing the names of buildings, a black athlete history exhibit and to stop requiring athletes to sing "The Eyes of Texas." twitter.com/_BrennanEagles…

Ok so this really is just about Jim Hogg, George Littlefield, and the others and a black athlete history exhibit and the Eyes of Texas? There are no other race injustices or terrible secret things going on I need to know about?

I mean, if so, cool. Those are all very concrete and doable things. It just sounded like it was something more egregious than that, like they were being mistreated somehow.

I hope whatever conflict came up over those issues with CDC and the President everybody can work something out.

Edited by Valmy77

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Amazing - a black player speaks their mind and get sent straight to the shit pile by Texas "fans" 

Meh.  It's not just blacks. 

No discrimination when it comes to the pile as we've had crackers represented.    And a Westlake one at that.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4T4XNdrmfXCL0en9SgnG

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok so this really is just about Jim Hogg, George Littlefield, and the others and a black athlete history exhibit and the Eyes of Texas? There are no other race injustices or terrible secret things going on I need to know about?

I mean, if so, cool. Those are all very concrete and doable things. It just sounded like it was something more egregious than that, like they were being mistreated somehow.

I hope whatever conflict came up over those issues with CDC and the President everybody can work something out.

Dude, read this entire tweet to catch up...

I see you were on the thread about "The Eyes of Texas" yesterday. ..

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I have a hard time thinking yesterday’s meeting went that far off the fucking rails. After listening to CDC talk earlier this week, the guy was emotional and at several times almost to tears regarding this situation. He got it. He was simply advocating that we have the conversation and we listen to the players. There was to be yesterday’s preliminary meeting, and then a larger meeting in July with former slums who’ve requested to be part of the conversation with current athletes. 

My guess...And this is 100% my speculation, is that if there are hurt feelings after yesterday, it’s because some athletes expected promises and 100% capitulation on demands, and instead were told this is going to be a process we work through. Which is what it has to be, for many different reasons. And that faction with no patience or expectations on a timeline for change or how administration and even laws work lashing out could end up poisoning the process. After listening to CDC, my guess is that the kids are going to get damn near everything they’ve requested, and there will be a legitimate conversation about the Eyes. If this team and our school blows up because the expectation was horses would be ripping down statues this morning at 8 am, when they were probably going to get everything they want in the end I consider this a tragedy. 

mitchell seems like a cancer for several reasons. 

"alums"     (Damn autocorrect😁)

I read that entire tweet and I was obviously referencing it in my post.

It was also a tweet made last Friday and it looked like we had people ready to quite out of protest sometime before that. 

If it really is just about the issues laid out in that tweet then that is pretty good news because those are pretty concrete and easily doable things, not something as complex and vague and frustrating as these kinds of issues usually are.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

lol I was already editing 

Agree that Mitchell is unhappy a lot and could be a cancer if he doesn't change.  I really believe it's a lot more about his own personal issues than The University of Texas -- might even be a cry for help.

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I read that entire tweet and I was obviously referencing it in my post.

It was also a tweet made last Friday and it looked like we had people ready to quite out of protest sometime before that. 

If it really is just about the issues laid out in that tweet then that is pretty good news because those are pretty concrete and easily doable things, not something as complex and vague and frustrating as these kinds of issues usually are.

If you think some of those things are easily doable, you're not in touch with many of our older alumni or the rules regarding how the athletic department can use it's money. 

Most of it SHOULD  be doable. But you've got a lot of old alumni trying to tell young black athletes what the eyes of texas SHOULD mean to them instead of listening to how they feel. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Agree that Mitchell is unhappy a lot and could be a cancer if he doesn't change.  I really believe it's a lot more about his own personal issues than The University of Texas -- might even be a cry for help.

Probably. But it's a moot point. He's at UT now, and he has the ear of at the very least SOME of the team, which means his ability to influence is an unpleasant wildcard. 

• Like 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

If you think some of those things are easily doable, you're not in touch with many of our older alumni or the rules regarding how the athletic department can use it's money. 

Most of it SHOULD  be doable. But you've got a lot of old alumni trying to tell young black athletes what the eyes of texas SHOULD mean to them instead of listening to how they feel. 

Ok easily might be the wrong word. Removing systemic racism and reforming law enforcement? Those things are hard. How exactly we do those things is not clear.

Compared to that renaming a statue or not using a song or putting up some exhibit is cake. But just by comparison. 

14 minutes ago, Texas said:

So they couldn't change a schools 130+ year history during a 2 hour meeting so he's leaving school? Ok

Not necessarily.   Sounds like he quoted the potential defense of why The Eyes are so important to “the other side” if not BMD’s particular.

Regardless, things are moving but they aren’t settling overnight & emotions are high yet not permanent.  Shall we say fluid?

I respect the right to his opinion, but it does seem like Mitchell isn’t a good fit here.  If true that he quit before, regardless of your feelings you have to let him go In peace and don’t look back.

should be noted that the vast majority of social media supports these young men & their right to stand up for their opinion.  Regardless of outcome, the support & recognition is important.

Changes will be made for the better & whoever & whatever stays will benefit from a stronger & greater institution.

No person or tradition is greater than the University & it’s supporters.

• Fuck You 1