Juwan Mitchell

Fondren & Main

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok easily might be the wrong word. Removing systemic racism and reforming law enforcement? Those things are hard. How exactly we do those things is not clear.

Compared to that renaming a statue or not using a song or putting up some exhibit is cake. But just by comparison. 

I understood what you meant man, and I wasn't trying to be a dick to you. I was more trying to illustrate a couple stumbling blocks and specifically reference a block of our alums who have been blowing up email boxes and voicemails talking about how the Eyes of Texas can't go, and what it really should mean to everyone. There's a fucking lot of them. 

That being said, I don't want to make it sound like that's all there is, as many alumni are very much in favor of listening and having the conversation. But shockingly the most vocal are, well, being vocal. 

This is starting to have a real bad feeling to me. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I understood what you meant man, and I wasn't trying to be a dick to you. I was more trying to illustrate a couple stumbling blocks and specifically reference a block of our alums who have been blowing up email boxes and voicemails talking about how the Eyes of Texas can't go, and what it really should mean to everyone. There's a fucking lot of them. 

That being said, I don't want to make it sound like that's all there is, as many alumni are very much in favor of listening and having the conversation. But shockingly the most vocal are, well, being vocal. 

This is starting to have a real bad feeling to me. 

Fenves leaving makes this a much tougher issue to tackle with an interim president...

58 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Guys there isn't going to be a football season in the fall.

I'm starting to come that realization. Saw that Fauci has said football is going to need a "bubble" like the NBA and NHL is thinking, which makes me think we won't have college football this fall. No way you can keep all of NCAA football in a "bubble." They'll move heaven-and-earth to have NFL but college football will not have the same luxury.

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Fenves leaving makes this a much tougher issue to tackle with an interim president...

Harzell was looking like he had a better than 50/50 shot to be made the permanent president, so I'm not sure I agree with you. But if the guy wants the job full time, all he has to do is fucking lead right now. Because in this environment no one is going to have the balls to stop him if he's going with public opinion. You think a BoR member is going to say "whoa, now, interim, no social change on your watch until you're the real president." Yeah, good luck with that dude not being labeled a racist. 

• Like 2

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Harzell was looking like he had a better than 50/50 shot to be made the permanent president, so I'm not sure I agree with you. But if the guy wants the job full time, all he has to do is fucking lead right now. Because in this environment no one is going to have the balls to stop him if he's going with public opinion. You think a BoR member is going to say "whoa, now, interim, no social change on your watch until you're the real president." Yeah, good luck with that dude not being labeled a racist. 

Like I said above, Hartzell has been very progressive with this type stuff in the business school. 

Your point was right about CDC and based on Hartzell's history I have a hard time believing they weren't fairly responsive to the players demands. 

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Probably. But it's a moot point. He's at UT now, and he has the ear of at the very least SOME of the team, which means his ability to influence is an unpleasant wildcard. 

Valid point but I’m sure it’s not lost on the team that he already tried to quit on them once before.   Wasn’t he suspended from the team, for a period of time, last season?  I can’t remember the cause of that suspension.  

2 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Valid point but I’m sure it’s not lost on the team that he already tried to quit on them once before.   Wasn’t he suspended from the team, for a period of time, last season?  I can’t remember the cause of that suspension.  

In a vacuum you'd have a point. But he was suspended for leaving the field after the Tech game last year and not singing the Eyes of Texas. This particular quitting or suspension might actually give him credibility as a vanguard on these issues and the University in the eyes of many players. 

3 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Is this another blanket statement about the requests? If not, we need to cut dude loose. I’m tired of this shit honestly. You got a free education to play football. Kick rocks

The university and a handful of individuals are making millions on the backs of kids receiving a free education that will, in most cases, never equal the value they help create while they play football at Texas.

But yeah, tell them to kick rocks when they ask the university for some long overdue concessions.

• Like 4

If there are individuals in this saga in which I have zero faith in being reasonable....it’s the Regents. Ivory Tower is an understatement.

7 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

If there are individuals in this saga in which I have zero faith in being reasonable....it’s the Regents. Ivory Tower is an understatement.

Not sure I agree. Ivory Tower usually means progressive m/academic thought. If they were all Ivory Tower types this would be Easy AF. They’d do everything. 

I’m not sure if this is a valid question, or where the proper forum is, but is it prudent to let 18-22 year old people dictate policy?

or rather should they be asking the questions and giving their perspective and then we as a whole take up the conversation?

we've all been 20 and thought we knew it all. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not sure I agree. Ivory Tower usually means progressive m/academic thought. If they were all Ivory Tower types this would be Easy AF. They’d do everything. 

Yeah it's not the regents/academic leadership for sure.  The people who give the most money, tend to have the most strings attached to that money.  And a massive percentage of money given to a University is actually money pledged...not given yet - as in, if they decide they don't like this movement a group of influential donors can pull millions (and 10's of millions at a place like UT)...

It's not as easy as everyone wants it to be.  This is going to happen at a shitload of other schools.  The people in the middle - school admin and most fans - are the easy part. 

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m not sure if this is a valid question, or where the proper forum is, but is it prudent to let 18-22 year old people dictate policy?

or rather should they be asking the questions and giving their perspective and then we as a whole take up the conversation?

That’s what our administration is trying to do. And has done. Now you have the 18-22 year olds deciding whether or not that makes them happy. In short I think you answered your own question. 

53 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

a block of our alums who have been blowing up email boxes and voicemails talking about how the Eyes of Texas can't go, and what it really should mean to everyone. There's a fucking lot of them.  That being said, I don't want to make it sound like that's all there is, as many alumni are very much in favor of listening and having the conversation. But shockingly the most vocal are, well, being vocal.   This is starting to have a real bad feeling to me. 

Example of a real vocal dumbass-- Diane Sulpizio (smh)

Thank God for mUTha hustla!!

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

"Ivory Tower" as I understand it is "aloof, and removed from practicality"

And the primary qualification for being a Regent at a Texas public university is to give a shitload of money to the Governor's campaign.  

Finally, any idea that the fact of being a Regent means the person has the University's best interest at heart was flushed by douchenozzle Wallace Hall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean really? Are they really that upset about Jim Hogg, Robert Moore, George Littlefield and the Eyes of Texas? Surely something more sinister is going on here for them all to be taking this so personally.

They are kids.  Kids today are all about instant gratification.  And when they don't get it they throw a fit on social media.  But hopefully the conversation is headed in the right direction.

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I'd say when it comes to the issues of equality and justice.  I'd generally pick the 18-22 year olds position over the rich white old donors.  

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

8 people liked this.

Amazing - a black player speaks their mind and get sent straight to the shit pile by Texas "fans" 

Tom wasn't wrong - some people only support them for 3 hours for 12 Saturdays in the fall and DGAF about them the rest of the week

you are correct,  some people wont change,  some people kill other people,  some people rape kids,  some people think women are second class citizens,  some people are just fucking assholes.   The problem is people dont see the large majority of the good  they focus on the people.  You cant change people., weve been trying to change an ideology in the middle east for 2 billion years.   

we can change a system, we can change laws and procedures, but you cant change some people.  quicker that is realized better off everyone will be. Or they can go to chaz and live in harmony 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok so this really is just about Jim Hogg, George Littlefield, and the others and a black athlete history exhibit and the Eyes of Texas? There are no other race injustices or terrible secret things going on I need to know about?

I mean, if so, cool. Those are all very concrete and doable things. It just sounded like it was something more egregious than that, like they were being mistreated somehow.

I hope whatever conflict came up over those issues with CDC and the President everybody can work something out.

Gotta demand equality and inclusion while simultaneously asking for a seperate black athlete exhibit, i mean i've visited the trophy room,  to see all the accomplishments, is the shrine to vince, earl, ricky, etc not good enough because it includes colt, street shipley etc?  I dunno the exhibit seems like a reach I guess ill thrown in KD and Ford as well, plus our track olympians 

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Is this another blanket statement about the requests? If not, we need to cut dude loose. I’m tired of this shit honestly. You got a free education to play football. Kick rocks

I disagree with this attitude entirely and we're better than this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I have a hard time thinking yesterday’s meeting went that far off the fucking rails. After listening to CDC talk earlier this week, the guy was emotional and at several times almost to tears regarding this situation. He got it. He was simply advocating that we have the conversation and we listen to the players. There was to be yesterday’s preliminary meeting, and then a larger meeting in July with former alums who’ve requested to be part of the conversation with current athletes. 

My guess...And this is 100% my speculation, is that if there are hurt feelings after yesterday, it’s because some athletes expected promises and 100% capitulation on demands, and instead were told this is going to be a process we work through. Which is what it has to be, for many different reasons. And that faction with no patience or expectations on a timeline for change or how administration and even laws work lashing out could end up poisoning the process. After listening to CDC, my guess is that the kids are going to get damn near everything they’ve requested, and there will be a legitimate conversation about the Eyes. If this team and our school blows up because the expectation was horses would be ripping down statues this morning at 8 am, when they were probably going to get everything they want in the end I consider this a tragedy. 

mitchell seems like a cancer for several reasons. Maybe the interim president is a dick and sent shit sideways, but given what I heard from CDC I have a  real, real hard time imaging how this meeting could have truly gone sideways. It would have to have been a complete failure of communication between the school admins. I think it’s much more likely no immediate changes were promised and some have reacted negatively. 

I agree with all of this. And I imagine there is quite a difference in players' expectations, their moods and willingness to have a dialogue, and how they are and will react. Mitchell seems to be an emotional hothead. Emotionally immature. I think of guys like Ricky or Quan- they're very thoughtful and measured. No matter what they think about an issue, I would expect their reactions to be calm and reasonable.

This is much bigger than this group of players. It impacts past and future teams and literally millions of current, past, and future students, alumni, and fans.

33 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Normally 18-22 year olds don’t have much leverage. This time they might have a good deal of it, unless we are willing to field an Ivy League competitive team in the big  12. 

Compared to the last 10 years or so?

We better hope that Covid -19 is the 2020 National Champion, with this lack of focus we will get our asses kicked. Yes, we will lose to Kansas again.

• Fuck You 4

24 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

And the primary qualification for being a Regent at a Texas public university is to give a shitload of money to the Governor's campaign.  

Finally, any idea that the fact of being a Regent means the person has the University's best interest at heart was flushed by douchenozzle Wallace Hall.

I guess it’s so often conflated with academic types I just thought of it as Progressive Inclined. But good point. totally agree with the rest of your post. 

29 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

This is absolutely correct "primary qualification for being a Regent at a Texas public university is to give a shitload of money to the Governor's campaign" .. Dated a girl in school who went on to marry some bigwig Republican dude in Dallas. Gave a ton and raised a ton for gov. Now a regent. 

21 minutes ago, futureman said:

don’t feel threatened by her truth, david. 

She’s basically saying black people should shut up about changing things because black on black violence is a bigger problem. By that logic, they shouldn’t work on changing that either because heart disease is responsible for 4x as many black deaths per year as homicides are. 

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

The university and a handful of individuals are making millions on the backs of kids receiving a free education that will, in most cases, never equal the value they help create while they play football at Texas.

But yeah, tell them to kick rocks when they ask the university for some long overdue concessions.

Boo fuckin hoo that’s life. Every company he’s ever gonna work for is gonna make money off of him. That’s called capitalism. You get a chance to set your family up for life by playing a fuckin sport. Again kick rocks if that’s not good enough for you

Just now, gmr548 said:

I mean that basically happened last year.

Well, yeah but this year they will make it official. I hear no "noise" about them. Les has them studying, training, getting ready.  His team feels lucky to be there. (at freaking Kansas!)  We have a "Herman culture" where players are apparently punching coaches and going to meetings over building names and songs. I just accept that (right or wrong) Football has become job "none" under Tom Herman.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

She’s basically saying black people should shut up about changing things because black on black violence is a bigger problem. By that logic, they shouldn’t work on changing that either because heart disease is responsible for 4x as many black deaths per year as homicides are. 

Yea once again there all different viewpoints on this issue and none of them are necessarily wrong but she comes off like she's not really willing to listen.

6 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Boo fuckin hoo that’s life. Every company he’s ever gonna work for is gonna make money off of him. That’s called capitalism. You get a chance to set your family up for life by playing a fuckin sport. Again kick rocks if that’s not good enough for you

Don't feed the political troll dude.  You are arguing with the equivalent of a light post.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Change is painful. This isn't going to be easy for you.