Juwan Mitchell

Fondren & Main

7 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Well, yeah but this year they will make it official. I hear no "noise" about them. Les has them studying, training, getting ready.  His team feels lucky to be there. (at freaking Kansas!)  We have a "Herman culture" where players are apparently punching coaches and going to meetings over building names and songs. I just accept that (right or wrong) Football has become job "none" under Tom Herman.

You don't hear "noise" about them because it's fucking Kansas football. No one gives a shit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I support driving the change the players are asking for. While I am not a fan of the "Twitter-dramatics" that Mitchell, Eagles, Cook, Wiley are doing I frankly think that is a generational gap. It is just not something I would ever do, but when I was that age, social media tools weren't in existence so to be fair I never had a chance to communicate globally via a  "stream of consciousness" method.

I do think Herman is ineffective both as a HC and a bridge builder. The best thing that can happen for Herman is to have football delayed until next Spring. Would give the university time to work with players and ideally repair the fractures between the staff, university and players.

If season starts in the fall this team is going to suck ass. Way too many distractions and too much negative energy across the board.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Well, yeah but this year they will make it official. I hear no "noise" about them. Les has them studying, training, getting ready.  His team feels lucky to be there. (at freaking Kansas!)  We have a "Herman culture" where players are apparently punching coaches and going to meetings over building names and songs. I just accept that (right or wrong) Football has become job "none" under Tom Herman.

This makes the assumption that our athletes are not human beings and have to be focused on football 100%.  They can't have opinions, or be aware of current events, or want to make positive change to the UT/Austin community.

Nope, you just want the boys to stick to the plantation and focus on what entertains you for a few months of the year.  

I would bet if you polled most of their parents, they are satisfied that Tom is letting them have voices and protest and try to make positive change for their community and school. 

21 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

This is quite the take and it's not a good one. 

• Like 3

It’s not just the fans. It’s their families too. I can’t imagine the insane amount of pressure that must feel like for some. They are expected at 18/19/20/21 to get some money to lift their whole family out of poverty. Their family members feel like that kid “owes” them. Same for friends etc. there is a reason the NFL has former players talk to them about money. So for us it is buying tickets or watching games and not feeling the same pressure they do. 

Having said that, if we as UT want a successful football team, we should hire coaches who will in turn hire position coaches that can help get them where they want to be. Otherwise, just field a team of players who focus first on academics and then football and we can join the FCS and never compete for shit. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

(Sure seems to be frustrated a lot...)

Juwan Mitchell says he isn't 'comfortable representing Texas'

By.  TAYLOR ESTES 8 hours ago

A third Texas Longhorn has publicly claimed he does not want to be associated with the University of Texas. Junior linebacker Juwan Mitchell said in a Twitter statement Wednesday evening that he does not "feel comfortable representing the University of Texas."

I don’t feel comfortable going to an ATM machine after dark in Austin

• Like 1

I’d be open to replacing The Eyes with “Kooda” by 6ix9ine if it meant we were playoff contenders every year. 

Ugly fact of life Herman & the team must learn: if you want more people to take you seriously, win more games. 4 losses a year & walk-off field goals against Kansas aren’t going to open up a lot of ears. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’d be open to replacing The Eyes with “Kooda” by 6ix9ine if it meant we were playoff contenders every year. 

Ugly fact of life Herman & the team must learn: if you want more people to take you seriously, win more games. 4 losses a year & walk-off field goals against Kansas aren’t going to open up a lot of ears. 

I think they players want to be treated equally regardless of their win record. 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yea I don't think that is what this is about.  That would make sense if they were all demanding like cars or material bullshit but this is different.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I do as well. I’m just saying, many people equate success with legitimacy. Why I called it an “ugly fact of life”.

No, it’s not. Trying to even put it in that lens makes me weary of your whole shit. Some racists may say that they’ll give in to black athletes “demands” if they win enough, but most people just see a person trying to better their life, and oh yeh they also play ball.

• Fuck You 2

26 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

No, it’s not. Trying to even put it in that lens makes me weary of your whole shit. Some racists may say that they’ll give in to black athletes “demands” if they win enough, but most people just see a person trying to better their life, and oh yeh they also play ball.

Well, I think he’s talking from the perspective of being a Yankees fan.  Did you ever see the film 61*?  They lit Maris up pretty good in it.

43 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Why is this ok? Progress, people, let’s make progress.

Its definitely not consistent but Ive never had a problem with cracker.  I mean it's kind of hilarious actually.  Then again I think words matter less than almost anything so I don't know why people get so upset about them.

8 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Its definitely not consistent but Ive never had a problem with cracker.  I mean it's kind of hilarious actually.  Then again I think words matter less than almost anything so I don't know why people get so upset about them.

I gave up being easily offended as a child but I know many are.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Is anyone really offended by a white racial slur?

I am not offended really but people can get pretty fucking nasty with slurs. I generally think it is depressing to see.

But, you know, what can you do?

Edited by Valmy77

I pity anyone stupid enough to look at the two slurs in question here and not be smart enough to immediately understand one is significantly worse than the other in its meaning and use. Both are bad, but there’s no comparison.

Some of the “counter arguments” amaze me in their lack of tact and intelligence.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

“The world treats winners a lot different than it treats losers.” -Augie

I don't think Augie meant it in this context. I am kind of pissed off you would use that this way actually.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I pity anyone stupid enough to look at the two slurs in question here and not be smart enough to immediately understand one is significantly worse than the other in its meaning and use. Both are bad, but there’s no comparison.

Some of the “counter arguments” amaze me in their lack of tact and intelligence.

I mean no one can really hurt you with words unless in your mind you give them permission to do so.  They matter way less than anything else.

Edited by Apex73
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

I mean no one can really hurt you with words unless in your mind you give them permission to do so.  They matter way less than anything else.

Every single black person You or I have ever heard speak on the subjectsay they got their feelings hurt by the N-word.

So maybe you should stop looking at it as a white guy who doesn’t mind the N-word being said bc ‘it’s just a word’ and start looking at it through someone else’s eyes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Every single black person You or I have ever heard speak on the subjectsay they got their feelings hurt by the N-word.

So maybe you should stop looking at it as a white guy who doesn’t mind the N-word being said bc ‘it’s just a word’ and start looking at it through someone else’s eyes.

That's not true.  I have black friends who don't care if the word is said at all.  The idea that you can control what someone says or thinks is ridiculous.  So I don't understand why you would worry about it.  It's not like legislation or violence.  Words have next to no impact unless you either allow it or are a child who's brain is still developing.  If I were you, I would stop speaking for all black people.  They don't all think the same way you know?  

Edited by Apex73
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

It’s why you cut out the middle man and just say white people are racist. Much more effective at pissing off/insulting someone. Cracker just doesn’t cut it. 

5 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

That's not true.  I have black friends who don't care if the word is said at all.  The idea that you can control what someone says or thinks is ridiculous.  So I don't understand why you would worry about it.  It's not like legislation or violence.  Words have next to no impact unless you either allow it or are a child who's brain is still developing.  If I were you, I would stop speaking for all black people.  They don't all think the same way you know?  

*rolls eyes, closes browser*

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

I don't know. With your fist all you can do is punch me in the face. With your words you can convince a million people to punch me in the face.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't know. With your fist all you can do is punch me in the face. With your words you can convince a million people to punch me in the face.

Maybe if you were in a leadership role.  It's still not the words that hurt you in that scenario.  It's the violence.  That scenario relies on getting everyone on the same page to hit you in the face which is next to impossible.  I see the correlation but that's a reaching counter point.

1 hour ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I missed it, who compared the two?

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

I gave up being easily offended as a child but I know many are.

Same here.  It got pretty nasty between hispanic kids and white kids in elementary school.  Didn't take me a New York minute to learn to not let it bother me.  At that point it amazed me to sit back and watch other kids absolutely lose their minds over it.

1 hour ago, Apex73 said:

Made me wonder whatever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me"?

I wish EVERYONE would quit giving people the authority to hurt them with their big ugly mouths.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

8 people liked this.

Amazing - a black player speaks their mind and get sent straight to the shit pile by Texas "fans" 

Tom wasn't wrong - some people only support them for 3 hours for 12 Saturdays in the fall and DGAF about them the rest of the week

You’re such a bitch at every turn. Do you know how many white people these same fans tell to get bent. Including a former racist center? 

Fight the good fight, don’t be a goddamn whiny bitch about everything. I get that you’re young but suck it up

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The SEC is lapping us 🤦🏻‍♂️

CDC has made clear that he wants to meet with every group of athletes. There’s no need to rush what they’re doing. Communication is key. Plus, the SEC commissioner is addressing something he has no power to change. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Made me wonder whatever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me"?

I wish EVERYONE would quit giving people the authority to hurt them with their big ugly mouths.

There's a lot of thin skin out there today for sure.  But what amazes me is people think because they don't use a few words they can say as much horrible shit with the rest of them as they want.  Like it's ok if you call someone a piece of shit cancer to society as long as you don't say one of the banned words.  It's hilarious and hypocritical.

I don't know. Thanks to the internet people put up with vicious insults that would have caused a fight just a few decades ago. And it has been awhile since somebody has dueled to the death to defend their honor from an insult. I see zero evidence that at some previous time you could insult people and they would be cool with it because their skin was so thick. 

Just today we have social media to facilitate being pissed off publicly at whatever. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I don’t need any when you’re arguing for the use of the n-word. 

I'm not arguing for the use of it.  I said words are trivial and they only affect you if you allow them too.  There's a huge difference.

21 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

CDC has made clear that he wants to meet with every group of athletes. There’s no need to rush what they’re doing. Communication is key. Plus, the SEC commissioner is addressing something he has no power to change. 

I mean Bowlsby should say no champ games in Oklahoma bc they are a bunch of meth head, thieving dirt burglars 

12 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't know. Thanks to the internet people put up with vicious insults that would have caused a fight just a few decades ago. And it has been awhile since somebody has dueled to the death to defend their honor from an insult. I see zero evidence that at some previous time you could insult people and they would be cool with it because their skin was so thick. 

Just today we have social media to facilitate being pissed off publicly at whatever. 

Maybe there is no evidence because they didn't let it bother them and you heard nothing about it because they thought it was trivial.  When someone doesn't make a scene it doesn't make news headlines.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Edited by Apex73