Goodbye birthrate - Injectable birth control for males that lasts for 13 years could be available in 7 months

CooterBrown

Nobody is having kids once this is available.  

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/11/20/male-birth-control-thats-injected-groin-could-available-seven-months/

Male Birth Control That’s Injected Into Groin Could Be Available In Seven Months

An injectable male contraceptive that lasts approximately 13 years has successfully completed a clinical trial and could be available to the public within the next seven months, scientists in India say. The new birth control method involves injecting a polymer, made of a compound called Styrene Maleic Anhydride, into the vas deferens, effectively blocking sperm from leaving the testicles.

“The trials are over, including extended, phase 3 clinical trials for which 303 candidates were recruited with 97.3% success rate and no reported side-effects,” Dr. R.S. Sharma, senior scientist with the Indian Council of Medical Research, told the Hindustan Times.

The manufacture, sale and distribution of new medical innovation in India requires approval from the Drug Controller General of India (DCGI). That’s expected to take about six to seven months.

“It’s the first in the world from India so we have to be extra careful about approval. We are looking at all aspects, especially the good manufacturing practice (GMP) certification that won’t raise any questions about its quality,” said V.G. Somani, the drug controller general of India.

The council said the contraceptive was designed as a replacement for surgical vasectomy.

“Non-surgical procedures are always preferred over surgical procedures because they will be safer and less invasive,” said Dr. Anup Kumar, head of urology and renal transplant department, Safdarjung Hospital. “More men are likely to opt for it.”

Researchers in the U.S. have been working on a similar contraceptive, called Vasalgel, but it is still under development.

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

This all sounds good until I think about the beginning of Idiocracy and then I'm horrified since we are already on that slope and this just seems to tilt the slide to about 80 degrees

Yup, the people who don’t want kids already have options. The Clevons of the world and evangelical teenagers aren’t going to give this a second thought.

44 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So it's just maleic anhydride grafted styrene? I'd be interested to see the mechanism or how the maleating it makes a difference.

I think it’s the bypass line.  I’m gonna need some pliers and a set of 30 weight ball bearings. You guys just prepare that fetzer valve with some 3 in 1 oil and some gauze pads. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Shouldn't be too hard to identify the ones most likely to breed future drains on society. Send 'em a letter in the mail announcing they've won a new (fill in the blank). When they show up, gas 'em and give 'em a shot of nad glue.

Exactly. Quick start would be, all males in Oklahoma.  Then expand beyond that to other crap-bag populations.

Maleic Anyhydride is typically used as a combatibilizer in polymers. So if you have two layers of different polymers that don't want to stick together on a molecular level, you toss a layer of poly in the middle that has maleic anhydride grafted onto the molecules of the poly and every thing sticks together on a molecular level. It's also useful for mixing hot melt adhesives or making layers of poly stick to stuff like aluminum cans.

So I'm really curious what the mechanism is here.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

Excuse me folks, just gonna sit over here and pen the screenplay to the prequel of "Children of Men"  

I'll be back shortly with my Oscar and my fortune.  Pardon.......

Am i the only one thinking that since this is in india it has the potential to exacerbate their rape crisis?

I doubt the men care if they get the victims pregnant but who knows maybe with them feeling like one of the negatives from the female perspective is eliminated they'll increase the frequency

• Like 1

Am i the only one thinking that since this is in india it has the potential to exacerbate their rape crisis?

I doubt the men care if they get the victims pregnant but who knows maybe with them feeling like one of the negatives from the female perspective is eliminated they'll increase the frequency

Yes, you are the only one.
  • Like 1