Goodbye birthrate - Injectable birth control for males that lasts for 13 years could be available in 7 months

CooterBrown

Can they make a 5 or 8 year version?  I wouldn't want to subject a 5 year old to this, unless it is much less painful than I imagine, but I'd be all for treating this like a vaccine and requiring it to go to school for kids between the age of 10 to 18.  A 97% reduction in teen pregnancy would be huge for education, welfare budgets, future generations, and a whole slew of issues we currently have. I'm also assuming there are no side effects.

Edited by UT_OB1

6 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Can they make a 5 or 8 year version?  I wouldn't want to subject a 5 year old to this, unless it is much less painful than I imagine, but I'd be all for treating this like a vaccine and requiring it to go to school for kids between the age of 10 to 18.  A 97% reduction in teen pregnancy would be huge for education, welfare budgets, future generations, and a whole slew of issues we currently have. I'm also assuming there are no side effects.

In Texas, Perry's Vaccine Mandate Provoked Anger

On 11/26/2019 at 3:45 PM, Nolacycling said:

In Texas, Perry's Vaccine Mandate Provoked Anger

It did because Perry's wife was linked to the manufacturer of Gardasil vaccine. It's not like he gave a damn about the health of Texans otherwise.

11 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

So the female condom is as effective as pulling out?

That can't be right.

The effectiveness of the female condom is due to the difficulty in using it correctly. Just look at it and see how it's supposed to ideally work. It just looks difficult to "wear."

On 11/26/2019 at 9:03 AM, UT_OB1 said:

You and me both brother, but you know it would never fly. This isn't like a vaccine which largely has minimal side effects that resolve quickly. I can see critics calling this a new version of eugenics because minority populations would be treated at higher rate, blah, blah, blah.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

It did because Perry's wife was linked to the manufacturer of Gardasil vaccine. It's not like he gave a damn about the health of Texans otherwise.

It seemed like quite a few people in Perry’s orbit were taking money from Gardasil/Merck.    Whole thing was fishy as fuck.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 11/25/2019 at 8:30 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Maleic Anyhydride is typically used as a combatibilizer in polymers. So if you have two layers of different polymers that don't want to stick together on a molecular level, you toss a layer of poly in the middle that has maleic anhydride grafted onto the molecules of the poly and every thing sticks together on a molecular level. It's also useful for mixing hot melt adhesives or making layers of poly stick to stuff like aluminum cans.

So I'm really curious what the mechanism is here.

I think you're on the right track. The MA groups will hydrolyze in the body raising the polarity of the polymer overall. This helps make it more biocompatible, minimizing adverse reaction by the immune system. Also, as the polymer slowly breaks down, the fragments will be soluble, allowing it to be cleared more effectively.

On 11/25/2019 at 8:30 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Maleic Anyhydride is typically used as a combatibilizer in polymers. So if you have two layers of different polymers that don't want to stick together on a molecular level, you toss a layer of poly in the middle that has maleic anhydride grafted onto the molecules of the poly and every thing sticks together on a molecular level. It's also useful for mixing hot melt adhesives or making layers of poly stick to stuff like aluminum cans.

So I'm really curious what the mechanism is here.

As someone who doesn’t want kids, I’ve been following vasalgel for about 6-7 years. It’s an ionic deal in the vas. Semen will pas thru the gel but the polar charge at each end of the gel rips the sperm in half as it passes through. In the US they have completed tests on monkeys with a 100% success. Dogs didn’t do as well (different vas structure) and I think guinea pigs did ok but not higher than 90%. 

The reason I started looking at vasectomy is because this product seems to be going nowhere.  I’ve followed since 2012 and no major pharma company is on it. It’s all non-profit so funding is terrible. 

Also, to reverse, you get another shot of basically baking soda and water to flush the system. Since it doesn’t change anything to the flow of sperm you are basically live fire the day you get the reversal with no drop off in sperm quality that is sometimes typical in reverse vasectomy. 

Edited by Jhawk