Name the top 3 rushers in NFL history

Goo Punch

23 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

If you said Smith, Payton, and Sanders, you were right...until yesterday, when Frank Gore overtook Barry for 3rd place all time. My question to you: is Frank Gore a HOF finning back?

Yes. The fact that he played on shitty teams shouldn't be held against him. Hell the fact that he did so well against nine in the box blows my mind as a 49ers fan.

• Like 1

This kind of reminds me of the Fred Taylor debate. Dude was a great running back and was a second team all-pro, but only made the pro bowl once. Gore made 5 pro bowls, but was never an all-pro. Both are great running backs, but I'm not sure if either are HOF worthy. I guess Gore would be if he's third all time in rushing, tho, plus he's a 5x pro bowler. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Probably not as a finning back.

His biggest problem is he spent the prime of his career on a terrible team.

Just like Barry Sanders.  Yes Gore will make it but it will probably not be when he's first eligible - just a guess on my part.

You Texas sycophants can have Smith.  Payton is the greatest all-around running back in the history of pro football.  Gore, Smith, and Sanders have their skill-set and if you were to collect their effort in one body...you would have Walter Payton.  

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You Texas sycophants can have Smith.  Payton is the greatest all-around running back in the history of pro football.  Gore, Smith, and Sanders have their skill-set and if you were to collect their effort in one body...you would have Walter Payton.  

LOL.

Brown had chunks of guys like Sweetness in his stool every day.   

Nice. He must have tons of super bowl touchdowns huh? What’s he up to these days?

One of you techie photoshop wizards needs to have Eddie Murphy's barbershop character from "Coming to America" do a meme that Frank Gore was 120 years old when he passed up Barry Sanders on the rushing list.

spacer.png

Edited by Uncle Nate
Fuck it...did it myself.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

really like able guy too. dude was illiterate coming out of HS, and came from some pretty dire circumstances, not unlike our own Jamaal Charles. i'm happy to see Gore reach this milestone, and like most here I suspect it means that he will eventually be inducted into the HoF.

2015 IndyStar article on Frank Gore.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2015/10/02/frank-gore-indianapolis-colts-san-francisco-49ers-miami-hurricanes/73181198/

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I know a little about Walter.  Nobody touches Barry.  Nobody.  

• Like 1

Gore was a huge reason the Niners went to 3 straight NFC title games and the Super Bowl appearance. He helped elevate Alex Smith and Kap into QBs who actually looked good. They also had a great defense but they loved to establish the run with him in those days and made it easy on the QB to have easier reads to make. In those years, he had over 1,000 yards each season. He had a string of 8 of 9 years with over 1,000 yards to start his career.  Hell his second season, he had almost 1700 yards on the ground. Yeah he never had all the big personal accomplishments like the all pros but he has played 15 or so seasons and now 3rd overall in yards. He is absolutely a HOFer. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Horn21 said:

I love that a question posed about one guy’s HOF merit almost immediately turn into a bunch of weenus-jacking over BUT THIS OTHER GUY IS THE BEST EVER.

Black belt weenus jacker here. The HoF is all about comparisons, why should this thread be any different. Are you the guy who goes to Comicon and eschews discussions on whether Superman could beat Batman? 

Oh, and your mom is a first ballot weenus jacking HoF'er.

17 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'll take Emmitt all day over Barry. Emmitt never had negative yards in a playoff game.

Yep. 

The premature retirement did it for me, although I understand how frustrating it probably was in Detroit for him. Delt a bad hand and did a lot with it, but the "what ifs" are bullshit arguements. You are what you did on the field. Lots of highlights from Barry, not a lot of Ws.

• Like 1

Okay, great.  Payton wasn't the all-time great.  Whoever y'all think was the best...was the best.  None of us care.  please continue to give a shit about the NFL.  I made one anecdotal comment about Payton being a super RB.  None of us with real lives give a shit.  god bless.  

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'll take Emmitt all day over Barry. Emmitt never had negative yards in a playoff game.

I grew up an absolute die hard Cowboys fan - comparing Emmitt's oline to Barry's is a total joke.  Emmitt was a great back to have in a playoff game with an excellent Oline. I remember the Giants dislocated shoulder game etc...still best RB:  Barry Sanders

Flashing back to childhood, I collected Emmitt's cards.  Still have em all at my parent's place...buddy was OSU fan and collected all of Barry's cards.  It was funny because we were 12-14 when we really cared and it would drive this guy nuts that Dallas kept winning and this was a debate.  If I'm being honest, and I don't care about the NFL these days, I have to say Barry was just incredible, on another level imo. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Okay, great.  Payton wasn't the all-time great.  Whoever y'all think was the best...was the best.  None of us care.  please continue to give a shit about the NFL.  I made one anecdotal comment about Payton being a super RB.  None of us with real lives give a shit.  god bless.  

Yet here you are...  in an NFL thread.  STFU, Cunt. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Yet here you are...  in an NFL thread.  STFU, Cunt. 

Cool beans.  Just felt a bit of nostalgia to chime in for Payton.  Please feel free to help me delete my posts here, erase me from all football threads, or even ban me from the site.  

I honest to god feel horrible for having fucked your wife before y'all got married (we know each other in real life).  Just let me know how to erase all my contributions from this thread.  I was doing a little old school Chicago thing.  High five, bro.  

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Seriously? Top three all-time?

Ok just maybe top three fun to watch lol. I used to hate the Chin and the Steelers in this era but he was fun to watch. He's #8 all time in yards at least..

Ok maybe all time #3 can be Marshawn Lynch?

3 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Barry Sanders is the answer.

Now what was the question?

Okie lite don't have nothing to do with it right?

Maybe he had great highlight crazy runs, but Barry Sanders never won anything. His style was pretty to watch but didn't really deliver anything for the team. Tough for him because he played for such a shit franchise.

31 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I grew up an absolute die hard Cowboys fan - comparing Emmitt's oline to Barry's is a total joke.  Emmitt was a great back to have in a playoff game with an excellent Oline. I remember the Giants dislocated shoulder game etc...still best RB:  Barry Sanders

Flashing back to childhood, I collected Emmitt's cards.  Still have em all at my parent's place...buddy was OSU fan and collected all of Barry's cards.  It was funny because we were 12-14 when we really cared and it would drive this guy nuts that Dallas kept winning and this was a debate.  If I'm being honest, and I don't care about the NFL these days, I have to say Barry was just incredible, on another level imo. 

Even if Barry had Emmitt's line, I don't think it would have played as big of a factor as everyone says. Nate Newton will tell you, Emmitt made that line look better than the individual parts that made up that line. This was not some all world OL and made some spare RB look good. Emmitt was highly touted out of college. Emmitt's backups did not look well when they played behind that same line. Emmitt was a master of finding the hole at the right time and knew how to dissect through defenses. His vision was outstanding.

Barry was good for the highlight reels. But if you put Barry on the Cowboys, do they have the same success? Too many times he loved the bounce it outside and dance in the background because that is what he liked to do. Their styles were completely different and Emmitt's style was much better for Dallas and what they wanted to do.

And some people say Barry was the entire Lions offense but that wasn't true. They had good talent on that offense besides Barry. Emmitt was much more consistent for my taste. 

Okie lite don't have nothing to do with it right?

Maybe he had great highlight crazy runs, but Barry Sanders never won anything. His style was pretty to watch but didn't really deliver anything for the team. Tough for him because he played for such a shit franchise.

Of course it does. Best we've ever had or will have. Humble and an all time great. A rare combo. A true role model.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Even if Barry had Emmitt's line, I don't think it would have played as big of a factor as everyone says. Nate Newton will tell you, Emmitt made that line look better than the individual parts that made up that line. This was not some all world OL and made some spare RB look good. Emmitt was highly touted out of college. Emmitt's backups did not look well when they played behind that same line. Emmitt was a master of finding the hole at the right time and knew how to dissect through defenses. His vision was outstanding.

Barry was good for the highlight reels. But if you put Barry on the Cowboys, do they have the same success? Too many times he loved the bounce it outside and dance in the background because that is what he liked to do. Their styles were completely different and Emmitt's style was much better for Dallas and what they wanted to do.

And some people say Barry was the entire Lions offense but that wasn't true. They had good talent on that offense besides Barry. Emmitt was much more consistent for my taste. 

I want a nonCowboys fan to tell me Emmitt was better than Barry.  Those are hard to find.  

If you said Smith, Payton, and Sanders, you were right...until yesterday, when Frank Gore overtook Barry for 3rd place all time. My question to you: is Frank Gore a HOF finning back?
Holy hell I didnt know frank gore still played. I had him over 10 years ago when I played FF and he rocked. He has to be approaching 38 now which is astonishing for a RB.