Name the top 3 rushers in NFL history

Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Emmitt wasn't a quitter.

Barry Sanders and Jim Brown were quitters...I'll dock them a few points but both are still better RB than Emmitt.  More valuable to their team?  Hmmm, I would go with Emmitt for that one.  But just best at their position?  Those other guys are a notch above for me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

I don't know if he's a HOF'er or not, probably?

I think the fact that it took him 15 years to surpass what Barry Sanders did in 10 years says more about the unreal things Barry Sanders did while in the league.

And that doesn't count Barry's actual yardage from running all over the field.  

Emmitt wasn't a quitter.

Yes, shit on a guy that played for a team that refused to trade him some place he could compete for titles, so he said fuck it and walked away while he had his health.

Emit literally stayed in the league to get the all time yardage record. Had Barry not retired, he would have put it so far out of Emmits reach, he’d still be trying to get it.

Also, like Stanco, I didn’t know Gore was still in the league until a few weeks ago. Saw him mentioned. I always had him on my fantasy teams when he was kicking ass. Congrats to him.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Gore was a huge reason the Niners went to 3 straight NFC title games and the Super Bowl appearance. He helped elevate Alex Smith and Kap into QBs who actually looked good. They also had a great defense but they loved to establish the run with him in those days and made it easy on the QB to have easier reads to make. In those years, he had over 1,000 yards each season. He had a string of 8 of 9 years with over 1,000 yards to start his career.  Hell his second season, he had almost 1700 yards on the ground. Yeah he never had all the big personal accomplishments like the all pros but he has played 15 or so seasons and now 3rd overall in yards. He is absolutely a HOFer. 

Thank you for actually answering the question, despite the stupid fucking title. 

2 hours ago, markstanco said:
9 hours ago, Goo Punch said:
If you said Smith, Payton, and Sanders, you were right...until yesterday, when Frank Gore overtook Barry for 3rd place all time. My question to you: is Frank Gore a HOF finning back?

Holy hell I didnt know frank gore still played. I had him over 10 years ago when I played FF and he rocked. He has to be approaching 38 now which is astonishing for a RB.

He's 36. 

1 hour ago, LonghornJudas said:

Statistically, yes he’s #3. In an opinionated all-time best list, he’s maybe in the 50s. All you need to know.

There are not 50 running backs better than Gore. Gore had 11,500 yards and 76 yards per game over a 10 year stretch. Maybe if you're ranking by peak ability or best games/seasons, but over a career when you consider consistency and work rate Gore is one of the best ever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yes, shit on a guy that played for a team that refused to trade him some place he could compete for titles, so he said fuck it and walked away while he had his health.

Emit literally stayed in the league to get the all time yardage record. Had Barry not retired, he would have put it so far out of Emmits reach, he’d still be trying to get it.

Also, like Stanco, I didn’t know Gore was still in the league until a few weeks ago. Saw him mentioned. I always had him on my fantasy teams when he was kicking ass. Congrats to him.

Not only would they not trade him ... they also wouldn't get him any fucking help. I don't blame him one bit for saying AMF.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

There are not 50 running backs better than Gore. Gore had 11,500 yards and 76 yards per game over a 10 year stretch. Maybe if you're ranking by peak ability or best games/seasons, but over a career when you consider consistency and work rate Gore is one of the best ever.

Yep. The job is to move the ball, right? Seems like he's done that pretty well. I can't believe his longevity, esp after that nightmare knee injury early on.

32 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. The job is to move the ball, right? Seems like he's done that pretty well. I can't believe his longevity, esp after that nightmare knee injury early on.

It's ironic but I feel that sometimes rehabbing an injury is what athletes need to get their body right. 

Imo.... I dont know if he is a hof'er

He was good but not great...4 out of last 5 years he hasn't avg'd over 4 yards per carry

He had the 1 truly great year then he has had a whole bunch off 1100 to just under or above 1000 rush yards.

He is a beast who has been able to stick around for much longer than others but as said many time before its not the hall of very good.

With that said i wouldnt be upset if he got in. Lots of guys i dont agree with are in.

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

Cool beans.  Just felt a bit of nostalgia to chime in for Payton.  Please feel free to help me delete my posts here, erase me from all football threads, or even ban me from the site.  

I honest to god feel horrible for having fucked your wife before y'all got married (we know each other in real life).  Just let me know how to erase all my contributions from this thread.  I was doing a little old school Chicago thing.  High five, bro.  

Dude, give me your number so I can pass it off to my wife, she hasn't laughed that hard since then. 

10 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Lots of ifs

11 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Peyton set his record in 13 seasons.  Emmitt broke it in 13 seasons.

Barry realistically would have broke it in 12. 

However, Barry didn't split carries his rookie season, Peyton and Emmitt did with Roland Harper and Agee.

23 hours ago, Lobo said:

Cool beans.  Just felt a bit of nostalgia to chime in for Payton.  Please feel free to help me delete my posts here, erase me from all football threads, or even ban me from the site.  

I honest to god feel horrible for having fucked your wife before y'all got married (we know each other in real life).  Just let me know how to erase all my contributions from this thread.  I was doing a little old school Chicago thing.  High five, bro.  

You have to be the most unstable person on surly. About every 10th post of yours is some ignorant tirade.   Please, get help. 

• Haha 1

Yes Gore is a HOFer.  unlike MLB, the NFL HOF is the hall of very very good(unless you are Pearson, Harris or Howley) so the 3rd all time rusher is getting in and probably on the first ballot.   Gore avg 4.3 a carry, Walter 4.4, Emmitt 4.2.  so it wasn't like he did it averaging 3.5 a carry.

RB's get extra points for longevity due to the nature of their position.   given his 2 ACL injuries its pretty damn amazing what he has done.

• Like 1

Gore's individual accolades can't be ignored just because he was on bad teams.  Hell, Ernie Banks never played a postseason game.  So while postseason success can bolster a resume, it can't be a requirement. 

To me, Gore should get credit for succeeding on bad teams where every defense keyed on him.  He should also get credit for longevity in an era that chewed up and spit out running backs at an average of something like a 3-year career.

I think he's in and it's not close.

• Like 2

Since the Emmitt versus Barry debate generally revolves around the rushing record, do you think Gore is a better back that Barry? Not no, but hell no.

The Cowboys during the most of Emmits time were a lot better team than the Lions. That has a lot to do with the rest of the players and coaches.

Barry is still better. Gore will wind up as a 1st ballot HOFer.

Yeah, if injuries hadn't cut their careers short, I think there's a good chance that Earl Campbell and Bo Jackson are 1 and 2 on this list.
If Bo never played baseball or got injured, he’s probably the greatest back of all time. Especially when you consider how the Bo Knows stuff got going.
Sanders is the leader in lost rushing yards - 1,114 yards. Always thought that was interesting.

It’s a crazy stat when you think about it. Had he just made it to the line of scrimmage and fallen down on those carries, he would have be like 300 yds from the record. I know that some where him trying to cut it back and do Barry stuff though.