Jewelry Heist in Germany

Handcruser

I was here posting the whole time.  I wouldn't even know anybody in Germany.  

Anybody else picture Clive Owen, as you read the article?  

Edited by Lobo

Article says there’s no such thing as 100% security. But from the reports, there security consisted of an alarm system that could be shut down due to an off-site power failure. And they got in by breaking a window. I’m no security expert, but I’d think if I were trying to protect priceless treasures I’d at least have backup power and barred windows. Security guards would also be sort of a no-brainer.

Maybe there’s more to it, but it doesn’t sound like it would take a real mastermind to pull this off.

19 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Article says there’s no such thing as 100% security. But from the reports, there security consisted of an alarm system that could be shut down due to an off-site power failure. And they got in by breaking a window. I’m no security expert, but I’d think if I were trying to protect priceless treasures I’d at least have backup power and barred windows. Security guards would also be sort of a no-brainer.

Maybe there’s more to it, but it doesn’t sound like it would take a real mastermind to pull this off.

Yeah, a UPS for the security system would seem like a no brainer. I wonder if they have a buyer lined up in Russia or China or someplace else where the western law enforcement folks can't get to easily.

3 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

So what's the end play here?  They obviously can't sell them.  Hide them someplace(s) and demand bitcoin ransom for instructions on how to retrieve them?

The article said that melted down it would still be worth 100-200 million Euros, which would make it the most profitable heist in history.  At least according to The Guardian's list.

Edited by clapclapclap
That's $110-220 million, for those who majored in something dumb.

6 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

This mirrors my thoughts when reading the article. I assumed — hoped — the article intentionally skimmed over or simply skipped specifics in an attempt not to further compromise museum security. I’m not sure a detailed account of the break-in methods and tactics would be prudent. 

If that’s not the case and the article is accurate, then wow. I’m not a security expert either, but it doesn’t pass muster on common sense alone  

For artifacts of that value, do museums or governments not somehow embed or attach GPS or other tracking devices? 

Edited by The People’s Elbow

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Ain't got nothing on the meltdown on the football board.

Ha, ha. I've been avoiding the football board and recruiting board for the last two weeks. I'm tempted, but not stupid enough to visit. I'll wait until after we beat tech.

• Like 1