British food

spystud13

4 minutes ago, threesheets said:

I spent my summers in Ireland as a kid so I've had nearly everything on that list more times than I can count.  Love almost all of it.

This thread has given me a hankering for some Bisto gravy.

if you're in austin i have a half can of it you can have. 

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2019 at 9:15 AM, RamjetFDO said:

Pub grub in an actual British pub with a proper pint is heaven on earth.  

l lived in the UK for a couple years and the amendment I'd offer to your statement is "gastropub grub." It's a separate category of pub which made dining out much, much more tolerable overall. Most regular pubs have horrid food, at least from what I found. I also thought there were too many generally shitty restaurants there - the odds of just choosing a random restaurant, walking in and liking it were much lower there than in Austin or LA or NY. But to each his own. 

Edited by Chopper

14 hours ago, Chopper said:

l lived in the UK for a couple years and the amendment I'd offer to your statement is "gastropub grub."

Fair play -- with a minor addition to "local pub" outside of any big city.  Once you get out of London, Birmingham, etc., the local pubs in individual villages/towns almost all fall into that category.  Even if they're just small local pubs, their food is still pretty damned solid!

31 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Fair play -- with a minor addition to "local pub" outside of any big city.  Once you get out of London, Birmingham, etc., the local pubs in individual villages/towns almost all fall into that category.  Even if they're just small local pubs, their food is still pretty damned solid!

That's a good point. Michelin put out a guide to the best pub food in the UK back in the mid 2000s and almost all of the listings were outside of London. Helped a lot with knowing where to eat on road trips. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, b_p said:

Everyone knows the best British food is Indian. Damn good Indian food in the UK. 

this is true.  one of the best meals i have ever eaten in my life was at a nice Indian restaurant in London.  if all i had done was fly over, eat there, and fly back, it would have been worth the trip.  another poster here told me one of his Indian friends here in the States told him, the worst Indian food in London is light years better than any Indian food you can find in Texas.  i suspect that's true, or pretty close.

21 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

this is true.  one of the best meals i have ever eaten in my life was at a nice Indian restaurant in London.  if all i had done was fly over, eat there, and fly back, it would have been worth the trip.  another poster here told me one of his Indian friends here in the States told him, the worst Indian food in London is light years better than any Indian food you can find in Texas.  i suspect that's true, or pretty close.

their thai is also legit. 

Just got back from a 10 day jaunt across England.  Food was pretty good.  From braised pork cheeks and lamb bolognese to some of the best pizza (per the kids).  I give it high marks.  Manchester and Liverpool were "ok", but that was more a mark on the boys FC travelling and playing local matches and eating with the other clubs.  Lots of burgers/sausage dogs and "chips"

"Bacon" =/= "bacon" as I found out.  But was good.  Haggis is damn good.  Fish/Chips.  It is what it is.  I really liked it.  Some thought it a little bland & heavy.  

Did T-day dinner at the Football Hotel in Manchester.  They tried.  Wasn't too bad.  Pumpkin soup.  Baked turkey with mashed potatoes and macaroni.  When washed down with ridiculously large amounts of Irish whiskey, I was happy.  Another club from Kaui, HI was there, so had a "proper" good time with us rowdy Texans.  Got to meet Jason Mcateer (Liverpool).  Really nice guy.  

In London, if you see and enter "Dallas Chicken & Ribs"......don't go there.....

• Like 1