woman killed by feral hogs in anahuac

elfenix

Christine Rollins, a 59-year old caregiver to an elderly couple in Anahuac, failed to show up at her normal time on Sunday, the sheriff's office said. The 84-year-old homeowner found her lying in the front yard between her car and the house.

Sheriff Brian Hawthorne said in a news conference Monday that "multiple hogs" assaulted Rollins when she arrived at work, likely between 6 and 6:30 a.m., when it was still dark outside.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/25/us/feral-hog-death-trnd/index.html

1 hour ago, texasjacket said:

How did this happen? Did they ram her, which knocks her down, and then a lucky tusk to the neck?

Google "Do pigs eat people?" Also keep in mind hogs run in herds, not solitary.

Here's a theatrical presentation...

Edited by Iceman

7 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Wife (no pics) hit one between Wimberley and Driftwood a few weeks back.  Caused $4K in damage to the vehicle.  Could have been way worse than that.  Saw two last night on way home from San Marcos on Post Rd.  

Btw, wife stayed in the car and was able to drive it home. :)

I totaled a TDI Jetta I used for business down near Cotulla hitting a pig going about 65.  

23 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Wife (no pics) hit one between Wimberley and Driftwood a few weeks back.  Caused $4K in damage to the vehicle.  Could have been way worse than that.  Saw two last night on way home from San Marcos on Post Rd.  

Btw, wife stayed in the car and was able to drive it home. :)

Was driving from Wimberley to SM one morning really early and saw two dead in the road next to each other.  

I decided that the worst way to start a morning might be getting up insanely early to get to work and hitting *TWO* hogs on your drive.

I’ve always been an advocate of Eat what you kill, don’t kill just to do it, and nothing suffers. Growing up where I did, and hunting where I did, I was put in many a predicament when it came to those creatures. I’ve been chased, treed, and literally a biscuit away from being maimed if not for a friend of mine who was a hell of a shot. I still keep the small ones that I shoot, but seriously, nuke them all.

I’m heading out to one of my best friend’s ranches this evening because he’s got a bit of an infestation. I’ll hopefully have pics of what I’m about to destroy and/or keep for pork butts.

They're a problem.  A big problem.  Besides the billions they cost the state YOY in crop and property damage, they also decimate the native species and ecosystems.  They're well beyond the "nuisance" they used to be.  

Our biologist at our place told us hunters, etc would have to eradicate close to 70% of the current population to see a drop in their numbers.  That's each year.  They breed so frequently with so few natural predators that it's a never-ending battle.  The few that are killed for sport just remove barriers to entry for the younger ones.  We're in some ways making it worse.  Compile that with hunting over bait, the difficulties in trapping whole sounders, and their numbers continue to swell.

I'm scared of some apocalyptic swine-flu derivative like we're seeing in Asia.  

BTW, this is why I shoot those hairy little fucks:

SwineFawn.GIF?1474574461