SFA beats #1 Duke

Mossyhorn

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Nothing beats Chaminade upsetting Virginia back in the 80's .  College basketball was so much fun to watch during that era.  

Oh, and they beat the Horns in 2012 in their tourney.  Go figure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaminade_Silverswords#:~:targetText=Chaminade hosts one of the,tournaments%2C the Maui Invitational Tournament.&targetText=As of 2017%2C the Silverswords,24-point win over California.

I remember that game. Ralph Sampson led UVA team, and they lost to that HS squad in a midnight madness game I think.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I remember that game. Ralph Sampson led UVA team, and they lost to that HS squad in a midnight madness game I think.  

From Wiki:

The 1982 Virginia vs. Chaminade men's basketball game was a college basketball game between the Virginia Cavaliers of the University of Virginia and the Chaminade Silverswords of Chaminade University of Honolulu. The contest was held on December 23, 1982, at the Honolulu International Center in Honolulu, Hawaii. The Silverswords, then a National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) member, defeated the Cavaliers, who were the National Collegiate Athletic Association's (NCAA) top-ranked team, 77–72. Chaminade's victory over a Virginia team that included three-time national player of the year Ralph Sampson was called college basketball's "biggest upset" by multiple publications.

The Cavaliers entered the Chaminade game with an 8–0 win–loss record in the 1982–83 NCAA Division I men's basketball season. The team featured center Ralph Sampson, who had twice been voted national college basketball player of the year; he received similar honors after the 1982–83 season concluded. Earlier in the season, Virginia had won a game on the road against the Duke Blue Devils by a 13-point margin. They had also defeated the Georgetown Hoyas in Landover, Maryland, in what was nicknamed the "Game of the Decade". Afterwards, Virginia participated in a tournament in Tokyo and played against the Houston Cougars and Utah Utes, winning both games despite the absence of Sampson, who had been suffering from an intestinal virus. The Cavaliers had hoped to schedule a game against the Hawaii Rainbows, but were unsuccessful. They instead decided to play against the Silverswords. At the time of the contest, Virginia was the number one ranked team in men's college basketball.

Chaminade's basketball program was in its eighth season, and was coming off a record of 28–3 in the 1981–82 season. In the past three seasons, the Silverswords had played the Cavaliers twice, losing both times by double digits. Eight days before the Virginia game, Chaminade posted its first-ever victory against Hawaii, by a 56–47 margin. On December 21, the Silverswords lost to Wayland Baptist, Chaminade's only defeat in 11 games. The Silverswords were unranked entering the game against Virginia.

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not even close. SFA has been a tournament team more years than not lately. Hell, this wasn’t even the biggest upset this season.

Excep that you just explained why it makes no sense that Duke scheduled them. If you’re looking to schedule cupcakes, SFA shouldn’t be on the list.

Duke isn’t scared to play good teams/programs, Duke is scared to play good teams on the road. You go to Durham or msg or some other neutral site early season tournament. 

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not even close. SFA has been a tournament team more years than not lately. Hell, this wasn’t even the biggest upset this season.

Excep that you just explained why it makes no sense that Duke scheduled them. If you’re looking to schedule cupcakes, SFA shouldn’t be on the list.

This was the biggest upset in 15 years, if you go by the spread. And Duke’s worst home non-conference loss since 1983.

• Like 1

SFA’s Nathan Bain, who scored the game-winning shot at the buzzer last night to upset #1 Duke, is from Freeport, Bahamas, and his family lost nearly everything in Hurricane Dorian. SFA has set up a GoFundMe for his family, and at tip-off last night it had raised $2,800. As of this this post it’s raised $65,274. Mrs. Ace and I are alumni and gave $100. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/sfa-athletics-fundraiser-for-nate-bain039s-family?d=1hH6BL%2FGuuq%2F%2FSwMC9DD3OLOoAveSlyseCTbsmZWFGk%3D

Edited by The Ace of Aces

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

What's the contract situation with their head coach?  

Don't know about contract, but the coach is Kyle Keller, who coached at OSU under Eddie Sutton, and is a close friend of the Sutton family. Interesting note, SFA didn't even grant Mike Boynton an interview for that job when Brad Underwood took the OSU job. Boynton came with Underwood and got the OSU job the next year after Underwood pulled a fuckwad move. I seriously wish bad things on that scumfuck.

10 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

SFA’s Nathan Bain, who scored the game-winning shot at the buzzer last night to upset #1 Duke, is from Freeport, Bahamas, and his family lost nearly everything in Hurricane Dorian. SFA has set up a GoFundMe for his family, and at tip-off last night it had raised $2,800. As of this this post it’s raised $65,274. Mrs. Ace and I are alumni and gave $100. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/sfa-athletics-fundraiser-for-nate-bain039s-family?d=1hH6BL%2FGuuq%2F%2FSwMC9DD3OLOoAveSlyseCTbsmZWFGk%3D

NCAA preapproved? That seems out of character for that organzation. On its face this seems like a serious violation and the NCAA isn't much for doing the right thing.

Edited by 'stache

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

From Wiki:

The 1982 Virginia vs. Chaminade men's basketball game was a college basketball game between the Virginia Cavaliers of the University of Virginia and the Chaminade Silverswords of Chaminade University of Honolulu. The contest was held on December 23, 1982, at the Honolulu International Center in Honolulu, Hawaii. The Silverswords, then a National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) member, defeated the Cavaliers, who were the National Collegiate Athletic Association's (NCAA) top-ranked team, 77–72. Chaminade's victory over a Virginia team that included three-time national player of the year Ralph Sampson was called college basketball's "biggest upset" by multiple publications.

The Cavaliers entered the Chaminade game with an 8–0 win–loss record in the 1982–83 NCAA Division I men's basketball season. The team featured center Ralph Sampson, who had twice been voted national college basketball player of the year; he received similar honors after the 1982–83 season concluded. Earlier in the season, Virginia had won a game on the road against the Duke Blue Devils by a 13-point margin. They had also defeated the Georgetown Hoyas in Landover, Maryland, in what was nicknamed the "Game of the Decade". Afterwards, Virginia participated in a tournament in Tokyo and played against the Houston Cougars and Utah Utes, winning both games despite the absence of Sampson, who had been suffering from an intestinal virus. The Cavaliers had hoped to schedule a game against the Hawaii Rainbows, but were unsuccessful. They instead decided to play against the Silverswords. At the time of the contest, Virginia was the number one ranked team in men's college basketball.

Chaminade's basketball program was in its eighth season, and was coming off a record of 28–3 in the 1981–82 season. In the past three seasons, the Silverswords had played the Cavaliers twice, losing both times by double digits. Eight days before the Virginia game, Chaminade posted its first-ever victory against Hawaii, by a 56–47 margin. On December 21, the Silverswords lost to Wayland Baptist, Chaminade's only defeat in 11 games. The Silverswords were unranked entering the game against Virginia.

Thanks, never even knew they'd been playing well.

Here in Va. the state shame was palpable, unless you were a VT fan.

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

NCAA preapproved? That seems out of character for that organzation. On its face this seems like a serious violation and the NCAA isn't much for doing the right thing.

SFA Compliance established it under guidance of the NCAA, it’s legit. It took a while to get approved but it is. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Don't know about contract, but the coach is Kyle Keller, who coached at OSU under Eddie Sutton, and is a close friend of the Sutton family. Interesting note, SFA didn't even grant Mike Boynton an interview for that job when Brad Underwood took the OSU job. Boynton came with Underwood and got the OSU job the next year after Underwood pulled a fuckwad move. I seriously wish bad things on that scumfuck.

yeah i had actually forgotten about his one year at OSU until i was looking up some stuff on him earlier today. less than ideal, that is. 

16 hours ago, Mossyhorn said:

Proud SFA grad (‘85 & ‘87), I’m probably safe saying this will never happen again. 

Also a proud SFA grad (‘76). I said the same after we beat VCU in the NCAA. Then again after we handily beat WVU and came within a second of the sweet 16 playing against ND. This is a legit D1 basketball program. Construction of a $26.2 million Basketball performance Center is underway for both men and women basketball. This is a rebuilt team from last year’s debacle with nine new scholarship guys. They are going to get better as the season goes on.

Nathan Bain is special. Fifth year senior. Lost a year to back surgery. Has lost other time due to surgery. As has been mentioned in another post, his family in Freeport, Bahamas lost their home, and had significant damage to a church and school his dad leads to hurricane Dorian. The fund to help them was properly vetted and set up back in September. There are now over 2,000 donors from all fifty states.  Prior to last night, there were less than thirty including us. Additionally, Nathan is a quality young man. 

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

set up by the compliance office. 

comments are great:

Scott Youngs donated $85
This Tar Heel thanks you for beating those turkey Dookies!!
Dorita Boyd donated $5
In Memory of Dean Smith
Jane Hight Mcmurry donated $25
I donated because I hate Dook and Ilove The Bahamas ! Go Heels!

https://www.gofundme.com/f/sfa-athletics-fundraiser-for-nate-bain039s-family?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

I know they played UK a few years ago, maybe after their NCAAT run and they lost the one blonde baller whose name escapes me. 

Thomas Walkup. Playing in Europe now. He murdered WVU, and it was one of the best sporting events I have ever attended (Rose Bowl, World Series’, etc).

That team lost to ND at the buzzer on a tip-in - had they won they’d have smoked Wisconsin in the Sweet 16 and faced UNC in the Elite 8. That team was one of the better teams you’ll ever see from a mid major. 

That night Underwood took the OKST job, then he bolted after a season for Illinois where he’ll be fired this season probably. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

I know they played UK a few years ago, maybe after their NCAAT run and they lost the one blonde baller whose name escapes me. 

that was the game i was thinking about , almost beat a very high seed.  Seriously shoudl have won that one.  Beating Duke at their house might be the biggest CBB upset of all time.

I posted it in the NCAA thread but Freddie and Fitzsimmons had Coach Keller on their radio show last night, it was 5 minutes of pure gold. The gal in blue who came down and was hugging him with tears in her eyes was his sister, they lost their mother not long ago and it was a big emotional night for the family to get that win. 

Ask a Dukie what the "F" in Steven F Austin stands for, if you want to needle 'em. 

Nate Bain says his family is absolutely STUNNED at the $150,000 in donations he's received since Stephen F. Austin State upset Duke ... and he's telling us how the money will be spent.

Of course, Bain's story went viral after the Duke game -- his family home and church in the Bahamas were destroyed in Hurricane Dorian -- and people raced to his GoFundMe to help them rebuild.

The good news ... Bain tells TMZ Sports his family home is covered by insurance, so the GoFundMe cash (currently around $150k) will be used to help the scores of people who need help the most.

That money is to help other families within the church and on the school," Bain says ... "It's going to help a whole lot of families."

In fact, Bain had this special thank you message to everyone who contributed ...

"To those people who are watching right now or you’ll see this later, just thank you so much! You have no idea how [many] folks you’re helping. How [many] families and lives you’re gonna change ... because there’s still folks back home without constant water, without shoes, without clothes that this money is going to go towards."

"You’re making an impact inside a little kid’s life, you’re changing somebody’s life for the better. Shows there’s still great people inside this world, still humane people that are still thinking about others so I just wanna say THANK YOU! My whole country thanks those who are still contributing!"

As for the basketball team, Bain says they've become rock stars on campus since the upset -- but they're not looking to slow down any time soon!

https://www.tmz.com/2019/12/02/nate-bain-donations-stephen-f-austin-state-basketball-bahamas-gofundme/