Port Neches - TPC chem plant explosion

tx 3 putt

34 minutes ago, WBT said:

Damn.  Every chemical plant at least pays lip service to trying to be a good neighbor and member of the community.  Forcing everyone to evacuate the day before Thanksgiving ain't that.

They're going to cook their birds for them, what could be more neighborly?

I've never seen such a widespread mandatory evacuation.  Most of my family lives within the evacuation zone, and I've invited them to my house.  Those spheres had active, spreading fire underneath them when my live feed cut off.  I'd appreciate if anyone would link a live feed when you see one.  My Click2Houston feed cut out.

Edited by Pibald
comma
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pibald said:

I've never seen such a widespread mandatory evacuation.  Most of my family lives within the evacuation zone, and I've invited them to my house.  Those spheres had active, spreading fire underneath them when my live feed cut off.  I'd appreciate if anyone would link a live feed when you see one.  My Click2Houston feed cut out.

Wow. I had no idea it has spread.  General rule of thumb. You don’t want any flames anywhere near those things.  Things could get bad.  Very bad 

2 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:
1 hour ago, austingirl said:
So my friend whose daughter took the video of the second explosion - her husband works at that plant. He left at 1247 and the first explosion was at 1258. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what did he forget to do before he left?

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:
1 hour ago, austingirl said:
So my friend whose daughter took the video of the second explosion - her husband works at that plant. He left at 1247 and the first explosion was at 1258. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what did he forget to do before he left?

All I know is she said he "docked the ship at the refinery at 1247 am, walked through the refinery, and headed to pilot office." 

what’s in the spheres?

1, 3 Butidiene...or 1,4 Butidiene...it’s so fucking unstable it can’t figure out what it wants to be.

basically an extremely volatile form of butane that phases from gas to liquid depending on the temp outside. with this type of heat source it’s all gas and building pressure, and the passant pressure relief valves at the top of the tank can’t handle what’s going on.

those onion tanks are designed to hold a fuck ton more of it than other geometric shapes, so when they pop it’ll be like Nagasaki.

that plant was built by the government and put online in 1941 in order to make synthetic rubber (the Japanese had all the rubber trees in Asia under their control). the instrumentation in their is old and shot to hell, so there’s really no fucking way they can monitor the situation like a decently modern facility.

they took the exact same blueprints and built the sister facility in Pasadena. both are now owned by TPC.
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Pasadena Refinery was the worst I ever worked in.  Looked and felt like one of the state water platforms, but in about 3x worse condition.  First place I’ve ever felt I was “lucky” when the project ended and I didn’t have to go back.  

This is the one that Chevron recently bought from Petrobras right?

13 minutes ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

This is the one that Chevron recently bought from Petrobras right?

Couldn’t tell you.  I decided driving 150 miles a day to hang out in East Houston, Pasadena, and Mont Belvieu was not worth the squeeze anymore.  My cranes were only at Pasadena for a 45 day shutdown.  We got in and out without any issue. Somehow.  That place was tremendously shitty, though. 

14 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Couldn’t tell you.  I decided driving 150 miles a day to hang out in East Houston, Pasadena, and Mont Belvieu was not worth the squeeze anymore.  My cranes were only at Pasadena for a 45 day shutdown.  We got in and out without any issue. Somehow.  That place was tremendously shitty, though. 

Interesting. Yea doing some sleuthing online it looks like the 110,000 bpd Pasadena refinery was built in 1920 and bought by Petrobras in 2012. Recently sold to Chevron, apparently there’s a pretty major project to revamp it because it is recognized as a turd. 

56 minutes ago, Xian said:

Ha. You work for Dixie still?  Your train has caused me a few headaches when blocking the road   lol 

Haven’t worked there since 2011. While I was there, that train ran over a switch man and was stopped blocking the road for a good while during the BNSF investigation. 
I’m half surprised Dixie is still in business. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto