Port Neches - TPC chem plant explosion

tx 3 putt

6 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Just saw this from my attorney friend Mark Sparks feed. Can vouch for him if anyone needs representation.

https://setexasrecord.com/stories/520550644-ferguson-law-firm-files-class-action-tro-over-tpc-plant-explosion

The law firm’s filings are designed to preserve evidence and protect the citizens affected, a press release states. 

BS.  The filings are designed to give the firm a leg up in becoming class counsel.

• Like 2

If I had to venture to guess, they probably spent some money upgrading or moving the operator areas to make the control rooms blast proof, but didn't spend enough capital on updating their processes (and possibly training operators) to reduce the likelyhood of an incident like this. Which is probably the right order of things, only way behind schedule. I work in a plant that is nearly as old and had a similar incident nearly fifty years ago, except there are now multiple systems and SOP's in place that are pretty effective at neutralizing the risk. It's also entirely possible that they have been lucky through the years and became complacent because they thought if it hadn't happened before it must not be a risk.

BS.  The filings are designed to give the firm a leg up in becoming class counsel.

i’ve got zero problem with that given TPC announced at the initial press conference that they already have a toll free hotline set up for insurance claims from the blast so they can help expedite it the process. which you and every lawyer should know is total fucking bullshit: it’s there to take advantage of folks who don’t know what their rights to recovery are and claim bar anyone who accepts a single red cent. typical industrial insurance bullshit screwing folks who’ve been screwed their entire lives.

so fuck yeah Chip...get some.
  • Like 1

Explain?  Are they thinking more explosions going forward?

those two facilities are very close to TPC...one is less than a mile (Motiva), the other about 2 miles.

if those onion tanks blow, those other two facilities will either blow or suffer catastrophic damage.

what many people don’t get is the onion tanks are used to store the worst of the worst shit they have. and by worst i mean most dangerous. if one goes, it’ll be an instantaneous chain reaction.

and the entire area for miles will look like Nagasaki.

2 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i’ve got zero problem with that given TPC announced at the initial press conference that they already have a toll free hotline set up for insurance claims from the blast so they can help expedite it the process. which you and every lawyer should know is total fucking bullshit: it’s there to take advantage of folks who don’t know what their rights to recovery are and claim bar anyone who accepts a single red cent. typical industrial insurance bullshit screwing folks who’ve been screwed their entire lives.

so fuck yeah Chip...get some.

I don't disagree with the tactic precisely, but do disagree with the self-congratulation.

Seems like they might have said something in the press release or on their website about not signing anything until speaking to an attorney of their choice.

Oops.

11 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

those two facilities are very close to TPC...one is less than a mile (Motiva), the other about 2 miles.

if those onion tanks blow, those other two facilities will either blow or suffer catastrophic damage.

what many people don’t get is the onion tanks are used to store the worst of the worst shit they have. and by worst i mean most dangerous. if one goes, it’ll be an instantaneous chain reaction.

10-4. I figured as much, I just did know how the progress was going this morning on the fire fighting efforts.  The live video feed was down a bit ago.

Kyrie, are we talking about chemicals with polymerization potential as well or is 1,3 Butadiene the nastiest of the bunch on site?

no idea....i do remember my dad (he’s a chemist and ran the QC lab at a refinery in Orange) telling me that benzene is a byproduct of that particular distillation process, and they’ll add a methyl chain to it convert it to toluene and store both on premises.

so there’s that.

but to your specific question, no clue....but i’ll ask him at lunch today.

The Motiva facility that is a mile away is it's crude oil facility. The refinery, is about 7 miles from this chemical plant. Just wanted to clarify.

Just a ton of really bad things could happen.

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Total has reduced its PA refinery to the minimum.  No word on Motiva.  This could be BAD.

Motiva is a good ways down the road. Total is almost right next to TPC. The Total move could be due to Oil tankers having limited access ? 

TPC and Total ports are Very close  to one another. If those spherical tanks are compromised, .5 to 1 mile blast zone is in play. The big fear is structure failing and falling into those tanks. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

so they skeletoned the big Motiva plant and not the one on Pure Atlantic? interesting...

what about Valero?

No, Motiva has not skeletoned anything that I am aware of (asked some former colleagues of mine, but Motiva has become really tight lipped about operational issues), though given the location of their crude terminal, I would imagine that is either shut down, or being controlled remotely.  Probably not taking vessels in.

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yes, the Port Neches terminal is right next to the Huntsman dock (right down river).

Those big Crude tanks at Port Neches are a shitload closer to the fire than 1 mile. I forgot how far it is from the tanks to the docks.  Basically, ,those tanks are across 136 from that fire.  GEEZ.  

Oh, and Sunoco and P66 have huge crude terminals in Nederland.  Hopefully, they are just being overly cautious, but holy shit.

• Like 1

The Motiva facility that is a mile away is it's crude oil facility. The refinery, is about 7 miles from this chemical plant. Just wanted to clarify.

Just a ton of really bad things could happen.

with my dad now...the Huntsman/Motiva facility on Pure Atlantic makes ethylene glycol and propylene glycol, and ethylene oxide and propylene oxide, and ethylonolymanine. the crude facility on the river has been dismantled for years.

with my dad now...the Huntsman/Motiva facility on Pure Atlantic makes ethylene glycol and propylene glycol, and ethylene oxide and propylene oxide, and ethylonolymanine. the crude facility on the river has been dismantled for years.
Not to be an ass, but the Motiva Port Nechea crude terminal has not been mothballed, unless it was done in the last 3 months. I worked for Motiva until this past August, and it was still up and running then.

He might be thinking about the huntsman dock which is separate.
  • Like 1

Not to be an ass, but the Motiva Port Nechea crude terminal has not been mothballed, unless it was done in the last 3 months. I worked for Motiva until this past August, and it was still up and running then.

He might be thinking about the huntsman dock which is separate.

you’re correct...i misunderstood. thanks for the correction.

37 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Where are the Total and Motiva plants y'all are taking about? I swear these things change names every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Total is the old Fina refinery. Motiva is the old Texaco refinery in downtown PA. (Or maybe it was the Gulf...I don't know that I could have ever told you where one started and the other ended)

Total is the old Fina refinery. Motiva is the old Texaco refinery in downtown PA. (Or maybe it was the Gulf...I don't know that I could have ever told you where one started and the other ended)

Total f/k/a Fina
Motiva f/k/a Texaco
Valero f/k/a Gulf
Huntsman f/k/a Jefferson Chemical
TPC f/k/a Neches Butane

amongst a myriad of additional facilities that have been bought and sold...BASF, Chevron-Phillips, DuPont, etc.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Total f/k/a Fina
Motiva f/k/a Texaco
Valero f/k/a Gulf
Huntsman f/k/a Jefferson Chemical
TPC f/k/a Neches Butane

amongst a myriad of additional facilities that have been bought and sold...BASF, Chevron-Phillips, DuPont, etc.

Is Texaco Research part of Motiva as well? That's where my grandfather worked. 

5 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Is Texaco Research part of Motiva as well? That's where my grandfather worked. 

My grandad was an old Texaco operator. Back in the day you could make a decent living without an education (ww2 interrupted his college. Had a full football ride to LSU and OU). Retired a multimillionaire in the early 90s at 55 by putting all his money into Texaco stock.    

When he passed the only thing I requested was his old memorable. Have some awesome old Texaco wallets, hardhats and other stuff from their glory days. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Xian said:

My grandad was an old Texaco operator. Back in the day you could make a decent living without an education (ww2 interrupted his college. Had a full football ride to LSU and OU). Retired a multimillionaire in the early 90s at 55 by putting all his money into Texaco stock.    

When he passed the only thing I requested was his old memorable. Have some awesome old Texaco wallets, hardhats and other stuff from their glory days. 

Yea, my Grandfather started working at Texaco on maintenance crews in the 30s and worked his way up. Worked his way up to foreman at Texaco Research lab by the time he retired in 1982 with 45 years of service. He and my grandmother divorced in the '60s, so he was NOT a multi-millionaire, but he did okay.

My step-grandfather worked at Jefferson Chemical for 30 years and got a golden parachute in the mid-'80s. B&R hired him as a consultant before he walked out of the gate on his last day and he did that for 10 years. He said he made more money working a decade for B&R than 30 years at Jeff Chem. They gave him a new company truck every year, expense account, and an air conditioned office at Jeff Chem. He loved it. 

• Like 2