Port Neches - TPC chem plant explosion

tx 3 putt

7 minutes ago, Xian said:

My grandad was an old Texaco operator. Back in the day you could make a decent living without an education (ww2 interrupted his college. Had a full football ride to LSU and OU). Retired a multimillionaire in the early 90s at 55 by putting all his money into Texaco stock.    

When he passed the only thing I requested was his old memorable. Have some awesome old Texaco wallets, hardhats and other stuff from their glory days. 

I’ve got all of my dad’s memorabilia from Monsanto Texas City, after he passed.  Hard hats, zippos, matchbooks, anniversary rings, clipboards, etc.  He went to work at Monsanto (Chemist), after graduating from Texas in 1956.

My grandfather was the Fire Chief for Texas City during the TC Disaster in 1947.  He was killed during the first explosion.  I have all of his badges, etc.

I always thought how strange it must have been to work all of those years at the same location where his father died.

• Like 7

I think Motiva also bought Flint Hills next door. 
They did. Which was actually part of the original Texaco facility at one point. It was split off during the Texaco split in the 80s. I think Huntsman bought it, then Flint Hills, and now Motiva. I had one foot out the doorzl, so I was never read in, but I think they way overpaid.

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The one in Beacon, NY?

No, it went to Chevron.

Or was there another one?

Motiva started as Star.

The wiki is interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motiva_Enterprises

Nope, there was a research lab on the Grounds of the PA refinery. The entrance was on 73 right at Savannah street. Looking at Google Maps, it's now called the Motiva PAC. That's where my grandfather spent WWII. He enlisted in the Marine Corps on Dec 8th, 1941, and on Dec 9th, the Marine Corp recruiter showed up at this front door with his boss from Texaco and tore up his enlistment papers. His work was deemed critical to the war effort, as research was working on aviation fuel formulations at the time. 

• Like 4

Total is by Larry’s French market, 366
motiva refinery is 73 and Savannah, good ways away, but they have other facilities around huntsman and tpc 

Ohhhh right. Thanks. Isn't there also a Motiva plant right on the Louisiana border? Or am I thinking of something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot more surly-ites in the golden triangle than I would have thought.  I was in and out of TPC during the last 3 years, that place always made me nervous.  Right behind this one would be Exxon O&A and Exxon refinery.  Always felt pretty safe in Motiva and Total

one of my neighbors is on the emergency response team from TPC, Scary stuff

29 minutes ago, Cody2422 said:

A lot more surly-ites in the golden triangle than I would have thought.  I was in and out of TPC during the last 3 years, that place always made me nervous.  Right behind this one would be Exxon O&A and Exxon refinery.  Always felt pretty safe in Motiva and Total

one of my neighbors is on the emergency response team from TPC, Scary stuff

Ha. I was thinking the same thing. While I’m no longer in the area (I moved down to Galveston) I’m still in the industry and do a lot of business in total and Motiva.  thankfully I don’t supply TPC with pumps. 

1 hour ago, Cody2422 said:

A lot more surly-ites in the golden triangle than I would have thought.

This is why we need capes !!!

youll find me at the following hot spots : salt grass, pduexes, outback, the schooner, Larry’s French market, old orange cafe or the Rancho grande bar. 

Any surly in rotating equipment, hit me up for for free lunch or dinner. 

• Like 1

This is why we need capes !!!
youll find me at the following hot spots : salt grass, pduexes, outback, the schooner, Larry’s French market, old orange cafe or the Rancho grande bar. 

Are you in sales? We really should have a forum for this. I don’t do the buying of this type of equipment, but I could get you in front of those in our mill who do.
  • Like 2

This is why we need capes !!! youll find me at the following hot spots : salt grass, pduexes, outback, the schooner, Larry’s French market, old orange cafe or the Rancho grande bar. 

I've offered to take you to lunch like 5 times and you keep ignoring me.

My office is near 69 and Nederland ave. 

Instrument technician by trade but right now im refinery/chemical site supervisor.
This big problem with these old facilities are the maintenance isnt done enough. Equipment, towers, and facilities are run to failure. Companies dont want to spend money on replacing or proper repairs. Have high level supervision/engineers that come in and try to save money by cutting cost however they can.

46 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Putt and BearSchlong, are y'all both in Beaumont?

My mom sent me a pic of the pitcher of sangria she was going to make yesterday and said "I guess I'll have to drink this all myself." Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Beaumont.  I'm sorta like a small goldfish in a very large pond.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

with my dad now...the Huntsman/Motiva facility on Pure Atlantic makes ethylene glycol and propylene glycol, and ethylene oxide and propylene oxide, and ethylonolymanine. the crude facility on the river has been dismantled for years.

those epoxides love to go boom

Before I retired from the petrochem insanity our company brought in a tank truck with EO on it.  Coming down the highway it was surrounded by 8 cop cars.  When the driver rolled up to the gate we sent everyone home for the day except the most essential of personnel.  EO explosion back in '91 at Union Carbide Seadrift, looked like God reached down and swiped his hand across the site and said "Try again".

My parents are back home - this morning Mom told me that she talked to the fire department and they said it was up to them as to whether or not they wanted to go back. They had Thanksgiving at my uncle's sister's house in Beaumont. I'm seeing a lot of people who went back today but I wasn't comfortable doing that with the evacuation order still in place. People in that area are hardened to evacuations so I'm not really surprised.

13 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Before I retired from the petrochem insanity our company brought in a tank truck with EO on it.  Coming down the highway it was surrounded by 8 cop cars.  When the driver rolled up to the gate we sent everyone home for the day except the most essential of personnel.  EO explosion back in '91 at Union Carbide Seadrift, looked like God reached down and swiped his hand across the site and said "Try again".

I was living in Victoria at the time and I heard that explosion at Carbide 20+ miles away. It was the middle of the night and I thought it was thunder or a truck tire blowing.

My guess is the “some asbestos” is an under exaggeration. My facility was built in the 60’s and we have “some asbestos” that is easily identifiable by bands and markers. I’m guessing a plant built in the 40’s has way more than some asbestos.
  • Like 2

Second tower fell over and it’s up against another tower. What a mess and fires still burning 

https://www.12newsnow.com/mobile/article/news/local/power-city/second-tower-falls-at-tpc-plant-overnight-sunday-no-injuries-reported/502-86df3d4b-7e8a-4235-876c-9cebc6f76ad1

Edited by tx 3 putt