Port Neches - TPC chem plant explosion

tx 3 putt

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Yea, I think that scorched tank gives you an idea how close they were to a much worse disaster and probably explains the mandatory evacs. 

Also, two mutual friends with your dad's friend. Both high school classmates from TJ. 

Good old small world of southeast TX. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

have seen this stated many times in this thread.  how big of a boom are we talking.  fertilizer plant in west sized boom?  bigger boom?

I'm 38 and I don't ever remember an evacuation like this one due to plant explosion concerns. I think there was also concern of a possible chain reaction happening, because there are so many plants so close to each other.

Out at my stomping grounds we have those round tanks, but they hold ethylene oxide. That's right, it's ethylene gas with it's own source of oxygen, so it doesn't have to be released into the atmosphere and find the right mixture of air and gas to go boom. All it needs is an ignition source. So when a storm comes through and you hear on the safety channel that lightning struck the EO tanks your butthole tightens considerably. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 10:06 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Out at my stomping grounds we have those round tanks, but they hold ethylene oxide. That's right, it's ethylene gas with it's own source of oxygen, so it doesn't have to be released into the atmosphere and find the right mixture of air and gas to go boom. All it needs is an ignition source. So when a storm comes through and you hear on the safety channel that lightning struck the EO tanks your butthole tightens considerably. 

The explosion last week in Tarragona, Spain was EO.  Nasty stuff.  Two people at the site were killed and a third guy was killed when a 1 ton piece of the reactor came through his apartment building over 3 km away.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51113132