I propose a "HELP!" thread for T day cooking

Gil Bang

Many of us will need to consult the board about one thing or another...why not right here?

I'll start:  I'm eschewing Turkey tomorrow, and doing a rib roast on the smoker instead, for a very small gathering.  I'm planning on baked potatoes, but I really don't know the best method for baked potatoes.  I've got the spuds, and I've got an oven.  Now what?  (The GF does them very well, but she's visiting her mom)

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Like 2

If you want to consider something other than baked: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/hasselback-potato-gratin-casserole-holiday-food-lab.html

If going the baked route, rub them in olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. I think the scoop and mash steps should be optional:https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/ultimate-baked-potato-recipe.html

hat tip on the rib roast. I am pretty much over turkey forever, but I don’t get to control the t day menu when I am not running the kitchen.

• Like 1

If you want to consider something other than baked: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/hasselback-potato-gratin-casserole-holiday-food-lab.html

If going the baked route, rub them in olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. I think the scoop and mash steps should be optional:https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/ultimate-baked-potato-recipe.html
hat tip on the rib roast. I am pretty much over turkey forever, but I don’t get to control the t day menu when I am not running the kitchen.
I've been cooking mine much longer to great results. Fork, oil and salt then directly on the rack in the middle of the oven. 350 for 90 minutes, then kick it up to 425 for 15-30 to partially fry the skin. I also put a sheet of foil about two racks down to catch oil runoff.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I am pretty much over turkey forever, but I don’t get to control the t day menu when I am not running the kitchen.

I only eat turkey once a year, so I'm definitely not over it.  But I'll say this...I am over the shit birds that most people buy.  The solution-infused Butterball-type that 99% of people buy will never be consumed in my house again.  I am all-in on free-range heritage birds, which are a completely different experience.  Completely different white/dark meat ratio and totally different flavor.  The artificially inseminated, flightless turkeys most people eat are flavorless and give turkeys a bad name.

• Like 2

Many of us will need to consult the board about one thing or another...why not right here?
I'll start:  I'm eschewing Turkey tomorrow, and doing a rib roast on the smoker instead, for a very small gathering.  I'm planning on baked potatoes, but I really don't know the best method for baked potatoes.  I've got the spuds, and I've got an oven.  Now what?  (The GF does them very well, but she's visiting her mom)

Oh, and dont use a cold pressed (the really nice stuff) olive oil for this, the smoke point is too low.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I’m expected to smoke a turkey at Thanksgiving, but do it grudgingly.  Always do rib roast at Christmas 

I second the suggestion of Hasselback potatoes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:

How long before I put the Turkey into the deep fryer should I take it out of the freezer?

Don't wait, straight from freezer to boiling pot.  Also, make sure the oil is above 350 degrees filled to the brim of the pot and and turn the flame up when you drop the turkey in.  Throw in some ice to cool the oil if a flare up occurs.  Oh and best to do this in your garage where the wind is controlled, too much air outside is not recommended. 

Edited by RollLeft
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Don't wait, straight from freezer to boiling pot.  Also, make sure the oil is above 350 degrees filled to the brim of the pot and and turn the flame up when you drop the turkey in.  Throw in some ice to cool the oil if a flare up occurs.  Oh and best to do this in your garage where the wind is controlled, too much air outside is not recommended. 

I had no idea that you were running cases for Thomas J. Henr++, San Antonio Personal Injury Lawyer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RollLeft said:

PRO TIP: Don't forget to set up your video camera for the Youtube hilarity.

8 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Slow down there big boy!!

I got this gobbler running around my back yard.  He doesn't want to go into the oven. Am I supposed to wait until he's asleep to throw him in?

I knew I could count on you guys.

Debating whether to break this down into 4/3 or 5/2 for roasting T+1. I am not sure that it will cook evenly as a whole roast. Decisions, decisions.

AF2563-E9-1-DF2-4831-AB07-41-E7-C61-E721-A.jpg

Reverse sear. Cook at 200 for 4-5hrs until it’s 123-125*. Let it rest while the oven heats up to 550*. Open all the windows, turn on every fan and put it in the oven for 10min.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, luke duke said:

Reverse sear. Cook at 200 for 4-5hrs until it’s 123-125*. Let it rest while the oven heats up to 550*. Open all the windows, turn on every fan and put it in the oven for 10min.

Good plan.  My only addition to this advice is to rub it with kosher salt, coarse ground pepper and ground rosemary before beginning the cooking.

• Like 1

This sounds like it will slam and go hard. 

Threw the spatchcocked bird on the smoker at 10AM 9.8 pounder so not a big bird. Brined overnight in a turkey bath (rosemary sage apple and a few other things) seasoned it under the skin and then wet rub with the remnants of the bath on the outside of the skin with a bit of seasoning. 250 target smoking temp with a mix of oak and pecan.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luke duke said:

Yep. This is the plan. Will have the searzall for spot browning as needed as well.

Figured this good as good as any. I am not a baker. Today was the first day I have ever baked anything; no joke. But I use my cast iron quite a bit for regular food.  just cooking for me and the gf though. So went  to thanksgiving at Gf’s house this year, decided to do a pizzacookie, chocolate chip. It tastes... ok. Not terrible but not mmmhmmmm either.

I ate a smaLL piece just now and can taste the granulated brown sugar. Least thing it is the brown sugar. I take it when recipes say brown sugar they don’t mean granulated? Honest question, trying to figure out how to make this better. Or at least good for others who aren’t buzzed off 8 hours of drinking...

2 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

That monster actually fit in the oven? What did you do for the sear?

LOL.  This was an topic of some discussion. It was close, we had a couple inches on both sides.

Finish was in the oven maxed out at 500 degrees, plus some spot work with the searzall. 

• Like 1