Souf Carolina

Pancho

19 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's interesting that halfway down that page you see that the Red states are more dependent on federal assistance than Blue states.   I wonder if that is because the R's direct money back into their own states or districts, or if it is because there is more need there because the economy sucks in those states.

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

It's interesting that halfway down that page you see that the Red states are more dependent on federal assistance than Blue states.   I wonder if that is because the R's direct money back into their own states or districts, or if it is because there is more need there because the economy sucks in those states.

It's a case of having the poors. Texas, one of the wealthiest states is a very red state but doesn't suckle on the government teat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Most of those states have no urban job centers.  Texas and Georgia have been moving down the list because they have spent a few decades urbanizing rather than stagnating.  They've also been becoming bluer because of it.  There are a couple outliers like Oregon and Tennessee which are more urban than rural, but still on the take.  Atlanta is the worst thing that could have ever happened to Alabama.  It takes away all Bama's talent and leave it with Tahoes and Moores.  Houston/Dallas do the same to LA, AR, and MS.

3 hours ago, F250 said:

It's a case of having the poors. Texas, one of the wealthiest states is a very red state but doesn't suckle on the government teat.

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Most of those states have no urban job centers.  Texas and Georgia have been moving down the list because they have spent a few decades urbanizing rather than stagnating.  They've also been becoming bluer because of it.  There are a couple outliers like Oregon and Tennessee which are more urban than rural, but still on the take.  Atlanta is the worst thing that could have ever happened to Alabama.  It takes away all Bama's talent and leave it with Tahoes and Moores.  Houston/Dallas do the same to LA, AR, and MS.

It's telling that the stats for states with best public schools are the inverse of the stats for federal dependence.  So that begs the question of how all that federal money is spent, if not on increasing education and job opportunities in those states.   How much of it is pork barrel spending that rewards certain contributors and not so much the individuals in that state?

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-best-schools/5335/

Edited by pyrohornIII
capitalized like the dotard.

I support any state's secession so long as they remit to the federal government their share of the national debt (either 1/50th or based on House apportionment, whichever is larger).

So as long as South Carolina can come up with ~$425b, adios!

Edited by DanRydell
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DanRydell said:

I support any state's secession so long as they remit to the federal government their share of the national debt (either 1/50th or based on House apportionment, whichever is larger).

I don't see how this would pass going forward, what nation would officially recognize South Carolina as independent of the United States (besides North Korea)..?

There's way too much fracturing of ideals as a nation where people feel that "if you don't agree, I'll just leave"... The middle ground of common sense is in short supply...

16 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Why not both?

If the Navy, Air Force, and Marines leave SC as well as Boeing and the European auto industry, which is only there to avoid import taxes, SC is reduced to tourism and agriculture for their economy? Maybe some petro chemicals? 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

18 hours ago, SDG said:

So them leaving wouldn't be such a bad thing.  Maybe they'll take the rest of the SEC with them (sans Texas)... 

Careful or you'll have some poor man's Lewis Grizzard questioning your knowledge of the Civil War.

• Like 1

I'm about at the point where I say give them their wish.  But cutoff all trade and communications and power from out of state sources.  Let them go it on their own with nothing and wait until they come crawling back begging to be allowed back in to the Union.

19 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I'm about at the point where I say give them their wish.  But cutoff all trade and communications and power from out of state sources.  Let them go it on their own with nothing and wait until they come crawling back begging to be allowed back in to the Union.

The problem with that is then you'll have Putin striking a deal to ally with them and we'll have a ton of Russian Armory on our East Coast.

I say we tell them that we will grant their wish but the minute they sign the secession paperwork we will immediately invade them, capture all of their leadership, and publicly execute them for treason. Then establish new leadership and statehood.

S'Carolina is a weird state.  Charleston to Savannah is one of the great stretches of land in American.  Lots of money there, too, a lot of which is translated from the Northeast.  Myrtle Beach is a bit of a redneck riviera and that has a place in this world.  However, you get 20 miles inland and that state gets fucked up fast.  It's the "Deep South" and all that entails.

14 hours ago, DanRydell said:

So instead, you let them stick around and keep running up the tab?  Don't throw good money after bad. Time to cut losses and let the whole deep south go, not just SC. They're a total drain, both economically and socially, and they dont want to be American anyway. The civil war was 150 years ago and they still can't get over the loss. We ended slavery for good. Now its time to let them self govern, try their bad ideas and have them fail.   After a while, we can normalize relations and enter a labor and trade union if they can meet the criteria for membership.  Its much better than having them thrust their bad ideas on all of us.

Edited by FondrenRoad