The Batshit Insane QAnon Conspiracy Theory

Hugo Stiglitz

Q-nut going to trial on charges of plotting to kidnap and child abuse...oh the irony.  News anchor quip before a video reaction is awesome.

Case will proceed in case against mom accused in kidnapping plot with QAnon

https://9news.com/embeds/video/73-bcb759a1-c9e2-47ac-b913-54a7e6f4ffef/iframe?jwsource=cl

Edited by Matuka

1 hour ago, Matuka said:

Q-nut going to trial on charges of plotting to kidnap and child abuse...oh the irony.  News anchor quip before a video reaction is awesome.

Case will proceed in case against mom accused in kidnapping plot with QAnon

https://9news.com/embeds/video/73-bcb759a1-c9e2-47ac-b913-54a7e6f4ffef/iframe?jwsource=cl

Kyle Clark is great. A good follow on Twitter. 

Be dismissive you want. But it’s just getting started, just now hitting main stream. It will become even more normalized, and people will pick and choose their conspiracies like at a buffet. Stupidity and ignorance isn’t a mental illness, but it is a fertile field and this shit will grow like weeds. Just watch. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Do we have some good polling data that gets to the prevalence of beliefs around the Q thing?  For example, how many Americans believe that Zombie JFK Jr. is going to be the next Vice President of the United States? 

You'll rarely find someone who accepts and believes Qanon, but it's easy to find people who believe fox. 

Using my in-laws as an example, neither of them are Q-crazy but I have frequently heard q-adjacent rhetoric and conspiracies. They had no idea what originated them, but the credibility was laundered through fox so they took it at face value. 

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You'll rarely find someone who accepts and believes Qanon, but it's easy to find people who believe fox. 

Using my in-laws as an example, neither of them are Q-crazy but I have frequently heard q-adjacent rhetoric and conspiracies. They had no idea what originated them, but the credibility was laundered through fox so they took it at face value. 

Major news outlets trafficking in conspiracy theories originating from the social media dopamine feedback loop hive? No way dude. 

40343.jpg

Edited by Anastasis

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Major news outlets trafficking in conspiracy theories originating from the social media dopamine feedback loop hive? No way dude. 

40343.jpg

Yes, MSNBC is just as bad as fox. Go fuck both sides of your face if you really believe that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yes, MSNBC is just as bad as fox. Go fuck both sides of your face if you really believe that. 

I didn't make any such statement. Geez, you don't even appreciate it when I try to highlight agreement. I was agreeing with your suggestion that major media outlets are an amplifying factor, mainstreaming conspiracy theories and the adjacent rhetoric to uncritical masses of viewers. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Correction. Q circle almost fully contained within the larger circle of mental illness. As you are aware Ted there is a lot of political mental illness that does not intersect with Q. 

The president, who you won’t vote against, is in that circle.  So are a a a good portion of the Republican Party.  

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I didn't make any such statement. Geez, you don't even appreciate it when I try to highlight agreement. I was agreeing with your suggestion that major media outlets are an amplifying factor, mainstreaming conspiracy theories and the adjacent rhetoric to uncritical masses of viewers. 

Difference is (since all you do is bring this up) that after more info comes out, those who were pulling on that thread stopped as they saw it was not truth or relevant. Yet you want to beat it over everyone's head ad nauseam in some pathetic way of both siding the argument. Who is still out there in mainstream news, or hell on this site, still forcing that issue? No one but you now. 

1 minute ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Difference is (since all you do is bring this up) that after more info comes out, those who were pulling on that thread stopped as they saw it was not truth or relevant. Yet you want to beat it over everyone's head ad nauseam in some pathetic way of both siding the argument. Who is still out there in mainstream news, or hell on this site, still forcing that issue? No one but you now. 

What are you talking about?  Ant gave an example of major media amplifying and laundering conspiracy theories, and people uncritically repeating it.  I gave another supporting example of the same thing.  I am sorry if that hits a little too close to home for you.

See @SydneyCarton, the buffet has been open for a while. We need to get somebody to swap out the mac and cheese though. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

What are you talking about?  Ant gave an example of major media amplifying and laundering conspiracy theories, and people uncritically repeating it.  I gave another supporting example of the same thing.  I am sorry if that hits a little too close to home for you.

See @SydneyCarton, the buffet has been open for a while. We need to get somebody to swap out the mac and cheese though. 

You know exactly what I'm talking about. You're shtick is a bit cute but way played out. You were much better poster when all you did was post gifs. 

6 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

You know exactly what I'm talking about. You're shtick is a bit cute but way played out. You were much better poster when all you did was post gifs. 

Sorry.  I wasn't really thinking about you, but if that example resonates so be it. 

As far as my shtick, I was tagged to the thread for some reason by Ted.  Apparently he was interested in what I thought about QAnon.  I said they were crazy, there was a little exchange about prevalence, and Sydney pointed out the trend towards normalization of conspiracy theories. Ant pointed out the role that major media plays in laundering conspiracy theories to the masses.  I provided a supporting example in agreement. Somewhere along the way you got your panties bunched up. Sorry about that. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Sorry.  I wasn't really thinking about you, but if that example resonates so be it. 

As far as my shtick, I was tagged to the thread for some reason by Ted.  Apparently he was interested in what I thought about QAnon.  I said they were crazy, there was a little exchange about prevalence, and Sydney pointed out the trend towards normalization of conspiracy theories. Ant pointed out the role that major media plays in laundering conspiracy theories to the masses.  I provided a supporting example in agreement. Somewhere along the way you got your panties bunched up. Sorry about that. 

The difference, as others have pointed out, is that MSNBC hasn't 1) continued to push that narrative after being debunked/discredited, and 2) continued to push wild conspiracy theories in concert with fringe groups and the trump administration.

You are falsely equating these two things for no reason other than for a tired old bit. The trump/alfa server connection has not been a point or topic of interest for what seems like at least a year, and has not been used as a cudgel by extremists to incite violence.

So again, fuck your whataboutism and fuck you on both sides.

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

The difference, as others have pointed out, is that MSNBC hasn't 1) continued to push that narrative after being debunked/discredited, and 2) continued to push wild conspiracy theories in concert with fringe groups and the trump administration.

You are falsely equating these two things for no reason other than for a tired old bit. The trump/alfa server connection has not been a point or topic of interest, and has been used as a cudgel by extremists to incite violence.

So again, fuck your whataboutism and fuck you on both sides.

Not to mention Fox has a fuck ton more viewers than MSNBC.

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Did Fox ever push the idea that JFK Jr. was going to be Trump's running mate?  I don't really follow this as closely as you seem to.  What exactly did your in-laws buy in to that they heard on Fox that meets those two criteria? 

Look, I don't give a fuck about Fox or MSNBC for that matter.  You provided a (vague) example of conspiracy theory amplification from one end of the political spectrum, I provided a specific one from the other end. I thought that we were actually on the same page for once. 

2 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Multiple Qanon people have been elected to Congress.  It isn’t some Alex Jones/Aggy dorks any longer.  The POTUS is amplifying the.   JFC. 

Adam Schiff read the Steele Dossier into the Congressional Record and huffs alfa server fumes.

There is truly a buffet of conspiracy theory nonsense.  Everyone can get their own piece. 

But I think that we agree that the Q stuff is some prime grade social media originated delusional nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

The irony in all this that is lost on Anastasis is that he's peddling in his own conspiracy theory regarding the deep state and IC that now is supported by Trump. He and Trump are now aligned in a conspiracy. Must feel good to have that company, huh Anastasis? 

I don't think that I have ever used the term "deep state".  I have been consistently critical of the intelligence community for many many years, however.  Those concerns continue to be justified.  

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Did Fox ever push the idea that JFK Jr. was going to be Trump's running mate?  I don't really follow this as closely as you seem to.  What exactly did your in-laws buy in to that they heard on Fox that meets those two criteria? 

Look, I don't give a fuck about Fox or MSNBC for that matter.  You provided a (vague) example of conspiracy theory amplification from one end of the political spectrum, I provided a specific one from the other end. I thought that we were actually on the same page for once. 

In a thread specifically about qanon, and when the discussion is around the interconnection of fox news and qanon in the ongoing laundering of insane conspiracy theories, you seek to drag down and delegitimize both sides equally. Despite the fact that fox hosts regulary praise qanon folks for "uncovering great stuff", posts large omnibus article to highlight qanon's "importance in politics", and hosted people to regularly come on and give air time to their conspiracy theories.

But none of that matters, because MSNBC reported and investigated claims about a backchannel connection through a strongly russian-linked bank? Nevermind that they did not make any affirmative claims but reported on the inconsistencies and vague areas that one can be reasonably suspicious of. Shit, even back in 2018 when this was relevant the consensus was that "yeah this is suspicious, but not proof in itself of anything nefarious".

For all the "not giving a fuck about Fox or MSNBC", you sure are quick to drag any other outlet down with negative news about the republicans or fox news. The whataboutism has taken root deep in you, and poisons any fucking conversation you dishonestly participate in.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And the end-game of putting the entire intelligence apparatus in the "bad guys" category includes things like the POTUS now taking ZERO intel briefings (meaning NO information on potential threats), and gutting the agencies.....so they can be filled with political loyalists and used for EXACTLY the purposes that you were supposedly concerned about (the "every accusation is a confession" law of Trumpism).  Relentless demonization of the intelligence community has allowed us to lose in two key ways: we no longer have the protection that a functioning intelligence apparatus can provide, and, now stripped of any other legitimacy or role, the intelligence community is rapidly being turned into a Secret Police tool of a corrupt admin.  Well-done.  Your approach has been a real winner.

I am not sure that I ever put the "entire intelligence apparatus" in the bad guys camp. Intelligence gathering has an appropriate place. What I have done is point out the history that the CIA and FBI in particular have played in effecting disastrous American foreign policy and domestic political operations, as well as the potential abuses of an unconstitutional mass surveillance state.  That is pretty run of the mill stuff, and use to be a fairly widely held position on this board.   

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

If only that were the case, and if only it could be so easily dismissed. Unless you think a quarter of America is legitimately, clinically mentally ill. 

It's probably more like 36.5%.

Trump's approval rating is 41.5%.  I'd say about 5% is accounted for by the purely evil Stephen Miller types pulling the strings on this fucked up marionnette show.  And yeah, the other 36.5% are batshit crazy.

Edited by TexArcher

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I am not sure that I ever put the "entire intelligence apparatus" in the bad guys camp. Intelligence gathering has an appropriate place. What I have done is point out the history that the CIA and FBI in particular have played in effecting disastrous American foreign policy and domestic political operations, as well as the potential abuses of an unconstitutional mass surveillance state.  That is pretty run of the mill stuff, and use to be a fairly widely held position on this board.   

If this was the only way you framed your argument, this statement would be correct. We all agree that the IC has done wrong things. Any system that involves people will fail in some way or another. But you make it THE issue in every conversation. All the while still deriding those who want to still believe and lean on those systems to hold accountable the rampant corruption we see in front of us. 

32 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Adam Schiff read the Steele Dossier into the Congressional Record and huffs alfa server fumes.

There is truly a buffet of conspiracy theory nonsense.  Everyone can get their own piece. 

But I think that we agree that the Q stuff is some prime grade social media originated delusional nonsense. 

I tagged you in this thread to see how long it would take you to both sides Q.  I figured it would take multiple replies, but you exceeded my expectations.  Congrats! 

Godwin's Law has nothing on Anastasis' Law. 

There are multiple threads for you to rant about it SPY GATE, yet you feel the need to inject it into any thread criticizing republicans, weird.   Why not just admit these Q people and Q in general is batshit crazy, without "q"ualifiers, like any sane person would.   

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

In a thread specifically about qanon, and when the discussion is around the interconnection of fox news and qanon in the ongoing laundering of insane conspiracy theories, you seek to drag down and delegitimize both sides equally. Despite the fact that fox hosts regulary praise qanon folks for "uncovering great stuff", posts large omnibus article to highlight qanon's "importance in politics", and hosted people to regularly come on and give air time to their conspiracy theories.

But none of that matters, because MSNBC reported and investigated claims about a backchannel connection through a strongly russian-linked bank?

I never said that that stuff does not matter. I agree with you that it does, and said exactly that wrt the influence of mass media as an amplification platform for crazy conspiracy shit. I think that you have a bit of a blind spot across the spectrum of media-engaged conspiracy theories for some reason. Looks like from your links one of the hosts in particular (Watters) is pimping Q stuff.  I skimmed the material you linked, but just note that the second link is a Fox News article written by a Fox correspondent that says the following:

QAnon is a conspiracy theory centered on the baseless belief that President Trump is waging a secret campaign against enemies in the “deep state” and a child sex trafficking ring run by satanic pedophiles and cannibals.

I don't watch Fox News so I don't really know if it is Qtard central or not. If your inlaws picked up something there that meets the two criteria you outlined previously, I could see how that would be frustrating. 

2 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Why not just admit these Q people and Q in general is batshit crazy, without "q"ualifiers, like any sane person would.   

Literally my first response was that they are mentally ill.

I thought that we were moving on to a discussion of the role the media plays in amplifying political conspiracy theories. Sorry for partying. 

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

It's probably more like 39%.

Actually, the baseline is easily around 10% of folks who are nutso/susceptible to such insane beliefs.

25 years ago, when I was a baby lawyer (and this was pre-internet), I had a huge case where we did a mock trial with multiple juries.  After we did our opening statement, we had each juror write some notes on their impressions.  I was tasked with reading them all (it helped that I am a really fast reader).  Pretty much one in ten jurors' statements were less about the facts of the case, and more about how they could "never find for an insurance industry, because they are part of a global conspiracy with the queen of England and the Columbian drug lords to enslave the American people" or some similar nonsense.  I mean, nutso jaw-dropping stuff.  I gathered those forms, and went to our trial consultant to point them out. 

He just chuckled -- "Brisket, you need to know that around 10% of the people you are around every day are what we'd call 'batshit crazy.'  They seem normal in their interactions around the water cooler, or at the dry cleaners or whatever, but if you engage them on any deeper level, they'll tell you matter-of-factly about alien mind-control technology or the Queen's conspiracies and such."

I've never forgotten that.  And the internet has made it much easier for those people to gather and multiply.  And, I think, boost their numbers.  He was probably low to begin with -- maybe 15% was right.  But now, people who were simply susceptible to batshittery, but used to be kind of normal, are now ready to get that shit injected straight into their veins.  It's probably closer to 25% these days -- that's right, 25% of our population believes in absolute nuttery.  And we have to figure out how to run a country where those folks are some of the loudest voices.

Just now, Anastasis said:

I thought that we were moving on to a discussion of the role the media plays in amplifying political conspiracy theories. Sorry for partying. 

And so rather than point to the worst offender that is current, ongoing, and endorsed by the president you choose to point to a two year old bit of investigative journalism as a key example of media amplifying political conspiracy theories? 

Oh that's right, because you don't know anything about fox but you've got references for other media outlets. But you don't care about media outlets, honest!

How fucking stupid do you think we are? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

We all agree that the IC has done wrong things. Any system that involves people will fail in some way or another. But you make it THE issue in every conversation.

I didn't make it THE issue in this conversation.  You are the one that brought up the intelligence community in your strawman. What is wrong with you?  You are bringing a lot of baggage to this exchange.   

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Literally my first response was that they are mentally ill.

Literally your 5th response was to both sides it.

Your 1st response was to try and marginalize how idiotic these people are.   This isnt just some movement of the mentally ill, as much as it would make me feel better to believe it is.  And as much as you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend it is.

Q freaks are absolutely a part of the Republican party now and the leader of the GOP is amplifying them, and endorsing them for roles in Congress.   

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

And so rather than point to the worst offender that is current, ongoing, and endorsed by the president you choose to point to a two year old bit of investigative journalism as a key example of media amplifying political conspiracy theories? 

Oh that's right, because you don't know anything about fox but you've got references for other media outlets. But you don't care about media outlets, honest!

It was pretty easy to find.  I googled "alfa bank server maddow nonsense".  I figured that that example might serve to resonate the issue more broadly with you.  I guess not.