The Surly Road Cycling Thread

idigTexas

Your mechanic probably should have offered, if not insisted on, replacing the cable and housing when he did the RD.  It's borderline malpractice not to.

You have to have special tools to align/check the alignment of rear drive train components.  Eyeballing or using a straightedge won't usually do it unless it's flat-out bent to shit.

You also often can't tell if the cable and housing are sticky by visual inspection.  It's worth looking, and maybe shooting some dry lube in there, though.

Sounds like it's slightly misaligned so that when you ride and torque, you flex/deflect your rear triangle enough to cause it to drop a cog.  Give your barrel adjuster two clicks or quarter turns out and see if that helps.  If not, give it two more.  Rinse and repeat.**  Barrel adjusting probably WILL fix it for one or two adjacent cogs, at least.  But if a problem appears somewhere else on the cassette, you have bigger problems.

**the usual problem is that the jockey wheels/cage are not quite "over" the desired cog, so that a little nudge will drop it down.  BUT, you can also have an "overshifting" problem, where one click puts it one gear too low (big) and it's not quite over the cog, so it wants to drop down.  You can discover overshifting if your next-to-last click puts it in the big cog, and last does nothing or throws it in the spokes, and sometimes if your "upshifting" won't drop it into the smallest cog.  If it's an overshifting problem, you want to turn your adjuster in a few clicks.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

I went to a couple bike shops on Sunday for a tube and spoke wrench to work on my daughters bike.  Bike Barn (Houston local chain) had two lines outside - one for purchases and one for repairs.  Inside the shop, they were mostly sold out of floor inventory bikes.  Very few left. At the other shop where I have some occasional service work done (supporting a local shop really) they were turning away service work until at least Wednesday as they were totally backed up.  I guess business is good. 

I went to a couple bike shops on Sunday for a tube and spoke wrench to work on my daughters bike.  Bike Barn (Houston local chain) had two lines outside - one for purchases and one for repairs.  Inside the shop, they were mostly sold out of floor inventory bikes.  Very few left. At the other shop where I have some occasional service work done (supporting a local shop really) they were turning away service work until at least Wednesday as they were totally backed up.  I guess business is good. 

My buddies run a bike shop in our little town as a side gig. They just hope to break even in general, but they’ve all but guaranteed a profit so long as repairs are normal going forward through the summer.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My buddies run a bike shop in our little town as a side gig. They just hope to break even in general, but they’ve all but guaranteed a profit so long as repairs are normal going forward through the summer.

This would be my fun hobby in retirement - run a small high end bike shop and sell cool bikes to the upper end buyer, and maybe work on them.  And have an espresso machine, and a beer cooler, and maybe my wife would have a yarn shop in the same building.  Just to pass the time, and not worry about the stock market or the price of oil.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

This would be my fun hobby in retirement - run a small high end bike shop and sell cool bikes to the upper end buyer, and maybe work on them.  And have an espresso machine, and a beer cooler, and maybe my wife would have a yarn shop in the same building.  Just to pass the time, and not worry about the stock market or the price of oil.

So you want your own Rapha clubhouse.

On 5/13/2020 at 4:39 PM, TwiceHorn said:

What did they wind up doing to fix it?

I'll be completely honest.  I wasn't paying attention.  They - Rockwall Cycling - were so backed up that they were turning away people at the door, so I just got out of the way and browsed. I'm assuming the mechanic was making some of the adjustments that you mentioned because I didn't see any parts come off, and I wasn't there very long.  

3 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Love the Rapha stuff. Really good gear.  And yes that would be awesome. 

Definitely good stuff. I still find for pure road riding Assos is far superior though. Isadore has been a really good find too. Imo, Rapha really excels at the specialized stuff no one else does. Their cargo short or bib are superb for bikepacking or touring. And they make really good off bike clothing cut for cyclists (ie. a beanpole like me) that no one else does. They make good accessories too.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'll be completely honest.  I wasn't paying attention.  They - Rockwall Cycling - were so backed up that they were turning away people at the door, so I just got out of the way and browsed. I'm assuming the mechanic was making some of the adjustments that you mentioned because I didn't see any parts come off, and I wasn't there very long.  

Dude.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Definitely good stuff. I still find for pure road riding Assos is far superior though. Isadore has been a really good find too. Imo, Rapha really excels at the specialized stuff no one else does. Their cargo short or bib are superb for bikepacking or touring. And they make really good off bike clothing cut for cyclists (ie. a beanpole like me) that no one else does. They make good accessories too.

Dude.

Yeah. I readily admit that I get low grades on the man card when it comes to mechanical stuff.  I'm getting better.  I recently changed out a broken motor in my garbage disposal.  :)

On 5/15/2020 at 10:05 AM, G650 said:

Dude.

I usually try to follow the mechanic back into the service area to watch.  I have been shooed out of service areas in multiple bike shops.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just recently got into cycling.  Have been riding for about an hour twice during the week and 2 hours on Saturday.  That will probably increase as time goes on but not dramatically in the near future.  My wife wants to get me a couple of cycling jerseys for Father's Day.  Is there much difference in the premium brands of jerseys that cost $150+ versus the brands around $60-80?  Which brands do all of you recommend?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Just recently got into cycling.  Have been riding for about an hour twice during the week and 2 hours on Saturday.  That will probably increase as time goes on but not dramatically in the near future.  My wife wants to get me a couple of cycling jerseys for Father's Day.  Is there much difference in the premium brands of jerseys that cost $150+ versus the brands around $60-80?  Which brands do all of you recommend?

I don't have any thoughts on brands. I don't ride much, so I just got the cheap jerseys and they do fine for me. One thing to keep in mind: order a size up from what you wear for normal shirts. If you usually buy large, get an extra-large. 

7 hours ago, txhorns said:

Man, $150 sound pricy.   I started out with generic stuff like Performance Bike house brand stuff.  A few year ago the Tour of California's online store had a sale of jerseys from years past.  All Hincapie and Voler stuff for dirt cheap.  They are MUCH nicer than the cheap stuff, but other than looking nicer, it doesn't make any difference to me.  The cheap stuff does the job just fine.  My wife has some Pearl Izumi stuff which is nice too.  I think you can get a nice stuff in the 60-80 range.  

8 hours ago, txhorns said:

yes, there's a 70-90$ difference.  go on wigglecycling and buy house-branded DHB stuff.  thats a good start

The higher end jerseys breathe and wick moisture better, better/softer materials, smoother seams, more comfortable for longer rides.  That said, it’s up to you to decide if they’re worth the extra cost.  I have a few high end jerseys and shorts that I wear on club rides and longer rides (3+ hours) then a grab bag of older stuff that I tend to wear to spin class or on shorter rides early in the morning or off road. 

Personally I would start with some basic stuff and wear that for a while till I felt like cycling was something I was gonna do for the long term, then invest in the better stuff. 

• Like 1

Pretty good advice here. Basically the high end is definitely nicer, but it's a law of diminishing returns, and you need to make a judgement call on what it's worth to you. Personally, I buy the higher end stuff for the fit, the cheaper stuff is much more blousey.

That said, if they are a gift I'd probably say use that opportunity to try the nice stuff so you can compare what you buy in the future.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Pretty good advice here. Basically the high end is definitely nicer, but it's a law of diminishing returns, and you need to make a judgement call on what it's worth to you. Personally, I buy the higher end stuff for the fit, the cheaper stuff is much more blousey.

That said, if they are a gift I'd probably say use that opportunity to try the nice stuff so you can compare what you buy in the future.

More Americans like the fit of the lower end stuff. 

22 hours ago, G650 said:

What brand do you buy?

13 minutes ago, txhorns said:

What brand do you buy?

Several really, mostly Assos, but lately I've really been impressed with Isadore. It's a niche brand that the Velits brothers started when the retired from pro cycling. I have a few Rapha tops as well I tend to grab when the put out something unique.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All right boys, what’s the best chain lube?  I’ve used White Lighting, Chain-L, and now EP Ultra, that the guy at the LBS talked me into.  Chain-L was dirty.  EP Ultra dries out fast, but the chain seems pretty clean, no residue.  Nobody like White Lightning anymore.  On weekdays, I ride early in the morning, and all the sprinklers are going so I ride through water 4-5 times per ride.  

Edited by CycleTex87

22 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

All right boys, what’s the best chain lube?  I’ve used White Lighting, Chain-L, and now EP Ultra, that the guy at the LBS talked me into.  Chain-L was dirty.  EP Ultra dries out fast, but the chain seems pretty clean, no residue.  Nobody like White Lightning anymore.  On weekdays, I ride early in the morning, and all the sprinklers are going so I ride through water 4-5 times per ride.  

I've actually just bit the bullet and got an ultrasonic cleaner and will wax a chain. I've resisted for years but I'm running out if things to fiddle with so when I saw Silca came out with a bag wax you just toss in a cooking pot I said hell with it and got some.

I've used Rock N Roll Gold for eons as a wet lube and imo it's still the best wet lube by a long stretch.

I used White Lightning forever and was happy with it even on MTB; very happy with the usual caveats of frequent application (every week or so, more often if the slightest damp conditions).

I got some Squirt, which is more expensive and a little thicker going on, but it doesn't improve the application interval or do anything that White Lightning doesn't as far as I can tell.  I'll probably just go back to WL when this is done.

• 1 month later...

Jumping back in.  Since the covid.  I've brought my road bike out and shook of the cobwebs.   Up to 100 miles per week.  Had to upgrade my apparel, new shoes, tires, etc.   Fuck this is an expensive sport.   Mostly riding the Leon Creek and Salado trails here in SA which are devoid of cars but add the pedestrians and other riders.  Possibly just as dangerous.    Doing some roads as well mostly to pick up some hill work.   For the fist time in my life I have flashing lights front and back.  

I realize this is the road but  also been mostly doing mtn bike on the dirt in the trails here for the last 5 years on an old old Gary Fisher that I rode the shit out of.  It's going out to pasture aka my 14 yr old is getting it.  Putting it in the shop for a tune up so I might see it in a few months.  Just ordered a Vitus Mystique 27 VRS to replace.   Really excited about getting this sucker after having ridden that 26 for 8 years.  I'm talking caliper brakes people.   

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Did a little 20 miler (all the wife was up for) on the Heritage Trail outside of Dubuque this AM. Took the fat bike so I could hit single track later. What a pleasant rail trail. Wedged between limestone cliffs and a swift, tumbling Driftless stream.

ab58a149f30eea47e3b7c2220de4c17d.jpg

cad56827c18c8017ec8be0b9db6e751a.jpg

2faa1fcdc4f82686bdde8c4894e8636f.jpg

Nice!

Dang I was doing 2 hours a day, 6 days a week, but then I had to go back to school.  We were teaching from home, then had summer break for several months.  This left me plenty of time to ride.  Thought about riding this morning but, of course, it rains.  

I'm jealous of y'all and your scenery.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 weeks later...

Who wants a free large jersey?    

I found this sweet clothing supplier.   Ordered a large to see how it would fit.  Depending on the manufacturer I can wear a large or XL depending so I end up having to try a size and then return for a larger size if the L doesn't fit.  So I ordered this jersey and the L was too small.   The distributor told me to keep it and just give it to someone.  I agreed to pay $20 for an XL.   They ship from China so it took a solid two weeks for the replacement.   Finally arrives and another large.   Emailed them again and they will send an XL and to keep the second large.  I've already promised one to milkman dan but I have another to give.  If you are in SA I can meet you.  If you are anywhere else and want to kick in for a few bucks in shipping its yours.

https://cyclingfrelsistore.com/collections/mens-short-sleeve-cycling-jerseys/products/2019-usa-breathable-jersey

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

what trail is this?  this isnt the capital trail is it?

Indeed it is.

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

anyone upgrade to DI2?  is it worth it?  

I got Di2 on my RM01. I honestly didn't realize how much I would like it. Like after two shifts it was I can never go back.

11 minutes ago, G650 said:

Indeed it is.

I got Di2 on my RM01. I honestly didn't realize how much I would like it. Like after two shifts it was I can never go back.

I'm thinking of upgrading my tri bike to Di2,  also I need to hop on this capital trail while im out here,  not many areas to ride without dodging traffic here

36 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I'm thinking of upgrading my tri bike to Di2,  also I need to hop on this capital trail while im out here,  not many areas to ride without dodging traffic here

It definitely spoiled me. Every time I ride any of my bikes with mechanical I'm day dreaming of Di2.

Whereabouts are you? The Cap trail is a treasure, so happy they finally got it all the way to Richmond. Supposed to work it down to Hampton and also to the Southside via Jamestown Ferry in the future.

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

It definitely spoiled me. Every time I ride any of my bikes with mechanical I'm day dreaming of Di2.

Whereabouts are you? The Cap trail is a treasure, so happy they finally got it all the way to Richmond. Supposed to work it down to Hampton and also to the Southside via Jamestown Ferry in the future.

I bounce back and forth, right now im in Hampton for a little bit, getting used to the east coast, its finally cooled a bit.  That would be awesome if that trail got as far down here

10 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I bounce back and forth, right now im in Hampton for a little bit, getting used to the east coast, its finally cooled a bit.  That would be awesome if that trail got as far down here

Yeah, it's brutal here. This is the best time of year though, the humidity finally dips a little. If you are in Hampton, you can also look at just riding around the Williamsburg area, it's a great place to ride, all in town has bike lanes and the roads to the north of 64 are pretty quiet. I like to go out and ride there during lunch some weekdays. Not quite as fun on a Tri bike, but a nice change of pace from the trail.