The Surly Road Cycling Thread

idigTexas

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, G650 said:

I've been on the trainer since early July. It is just so insanely hot and humid right now.

I’m the opposite. Love riding in the early morning during the summer, especially Sunday morning when there’s light traffic, and it gets light by 6:30.  Sure it’s hot and humid, but I’ll be faster in the fall as a result, even if it seems like I’m going really slow. 

41 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

I’m the opposite. Love riding in the early morning during the summer, especially Sunday morning when there’s light traffic, and it gets light by 6:30.  Sure it’s hot and humid, but I’ll be faster in the fall as a result, even if it seems like I’m going really slow. 

I usually ride about 430 in the morning so there's no traffic myself. With temps already heafing 90 at dawn with 95% humidity though just not worth it to me.

34 minutes ago, G650 said:

I usually ride about 430 in the morning so there's no traffic myself. With temps already heafing 90 at dawn with 95% humidity though just not worth it to me.

I’ve thought about early morning rides on weekdays lately.  Lots of folks in my area are doing it.  I just don’t know if I can get a long enough ride to justify getting out that early before getting the day going. I don’t think I would enjoy riding around the neighborhood for two hours and don’t think it would be that safe out on the FM roads with narrow shoulders in the dark.  

13 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

I’ve thought about early morning rides on weekdays lately.  Lots of folks in my area are doing it.  I just don’t know if I can get a long enough ride to justify getting out that early before getting the day going. I don’t think I would enjoy riding around the neighborhood for two hours and don’t think it would be that safe out on the FM roads with narrow shoulders in the dark.  

Certainly depends on your location. I am fortunate to have a lot of good shouldered roads to get on, and the ones that don't are pretty cycle heavy so people are on the look out.

Moderate front cane through last night and knocked temps down a bit. Still humid as a bitch though.

I got a Le Coq Sportif jersey free to a good home if anyone wants it. New with tags. It's just too big for me.

It's the Alpe d'Huez model

267927_00_d.jpg

15 hours ago, G650 said:

Moderate front cane through last night and knocked temps down a bit. Still humid as a bitch though.

I got a Le Coq Sportif jersey free to a good home if anyone wants it. New with tags. It's just too big for me.

It's the Alpe d'Huez model

267927_00_d.jpg

I forgot to mention, this is a size M.

When do we get the ability to edit forever back dammit.

Just now, Bevo said:

I don't know about that. It is pretty flashy. I don't want to be a poser. Do you live in Austin?

It's actually very understated, I'm not into most of the American bright jersey styles. I'm not in Austin, just PM your address and it will be on it's way, just like to see it get used!

So, curious about people reaction to my likely unpopular opinion.

I don't like bike lanes. I am of the sentiment that they are a great way to get killed or injured.

1. It makes it hard to see a bike rider. 

2. People walk across the bike lane without looking. Obviously, you can't react in any way if this happens. 

3. I do not like the idea of cars passing a foot or two off my left elbow without even remotely slowing down. I realize that making someone change lanes to pass me isn't perfect, but it's safer for me and if I'm going 20 or so in a 35 in very light traffic, no big deal. 

4. If there is a curb to my right, I can crash into this really easily. I've seen it happen.

I've never commuted and that would be very different but I still have the same concerns, even for commuters. 

One of the biggest threats is cars entering and exiting traffic. When you're shoved all the way to the edge, up against a curb with cars whizzing by on the left, and you're not the great a bike handler, lots of driveways and such, it seems like a recipe for severe pain. I'm really not as much expressing an opinion as stating an interest in whether there is data showing they're safe. 

There are different kinds of bike lanes. The one in front of American Airlines Arena is unusable if there is an event. People just wanted in and out of it without looking. 

I'm not the target market for all that, I'm full spandex etc. I wear super bright colors for one reason, and it's not be be cool. I don't want anyone to hit me. My best rides are at night, lit up like a fucking Christmas Tree and ain't nobody on the road but me.

Well, one thing is bike lines should be segregated from travel lanes by a curb. I realize they all aren't, but this is an important feature.

There is actually a lot of data though, for all sorts of lanes. When I get some time I'll link some.

I love an empty road myself, I ride at 4 am a lot just for this reason.

i had no idea we had this type of thread here,  I rode about 150-200 miles a week to work and back.  Just upgraded to my 2018 Trek Domane SL5  full carbon.  From my old 2015 madone 2.1  taking some time to get used to the saddle. need to get aero bars,   my last bike was stolen out of my garage in a gated community 10 min after door was left open. go figure 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did an up and back on the Virginia Capitol Trail this weekend with a couple buddies. A really sweet 52 mile paved trail that runs between Jamestown and Richmond. Pedaled up on Saturday, grabbed hotel and copious drinks, and back down Sunday, stopping in Charles City for lunch at an great little cafe that makes almost all of their stuff in house, including some phenomenal bread.

20181117-135110.jpg

• Like 1

I love being back home (Rowlett), but I am so depressed about cycling.  I left an area where I could ride without any cars, hills, mountains, scenery, etc.. and am now in just about the worst place outside of NYC to ride.  I hate flat roads.  I hate traffic.  I suppose I could drive somewhere east of Rowlett and find some roads, but I've been too stubborn to find a new route.  I've biked White Rock Lake; however, the trail is too narrow and bumpy to properly road bike.  I did buy a mountain bike and have biked the trails in Garland; however, I've just always preferred road.  When I was in Austin Sat for the game, I gazed longingly out west thinking about all the routes y'all in Austin can ride. /whining over

Well it was bound to happen 2 weeks back I was hit by a guy pulling out of a lot into traffic trying to beat a car out. Slammed right Into me flipping me over the car. Thankfully just bumps and bruises. Bike had 500 in damage and no cracked frame (Carbon).  He paid the damages and I thanked my stars I was hit I to oncoming traffic. 

On 11/20/2018 at 10:49 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

Well it was bound to happen 2 weeks back I was hit by a guy pulling out of a lot into traffic trying to beat a car out. Slammed right Into me flipping me over the car. Thankfully just bumps and bruises. Bike had 500 in damage and no cracked frame (Carbon).  He paid the damages and I thanked my stars I was hit I to oncoming traffic. 

Oof. Sucks man, glad you are ok.

Looks like tomorrow might be my last aggressive outside ride of year. On to base for next year next week.

Hey, does anyone know a good place in Austin to donate childrens' bikes in good condition, to be given to underpriveleged children?  I like the idea of it going directly to someone in need (rather than being sold like Goodwill does).  I believe Austin yellow bike does this, is there anyone else? 

TIA!

Question for Austin roadies:

I have two friends who are planning a bike trip from Austin to Big Bend. They aren't from Austin, although one of them is a longhorn. Years ago, I did a similar bike trip, so they asked me what the best/safest route to bike west from Austin would be. It's been 20 years since I lived in Austin, but I remember back in the day biking to Hamilton's Pool and Pedernales Falls via Hamilton Pool road.

Is that way still safely bike-able? Alternate routes?

On 11/20/2018 at 6:16 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

I love being back home (Rowlett), but I am so depressed about cycling.  I left an area where I could ride without any cars, hills, mountains, scenery, etc.. and am now in just about the worst place outside of NYC to ride.  I hate flat roads.  I hate traffic.  I suppose I could drive somewhere east of Rowlett and find some roads, but I've been too stubborn to find a new route.  I've biked White Rock Lake; however, the trail is too narrow and bumpy to properly road bike.  I did buy a mountain bike and have biked the trails in Garland; however, I've just always preferred road.  When I was in Austin Sat for the game, I gazed longingly out west thinking about all the routes y'all in Austin can ride. /whining over

Rockwall Cycling Club used to ride the I-30 access road all the time.  Given the growth in that area, don't know if it's an option.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, baboso said:

Rockwall Cycling Club used to ride the I-30 access road all the time.  Given the growth in that area, don't know if it's an option.

Thanks.  I've seen riders in and around Sunnyvale and, at times, on the access road.  My issue is that I'm a horrible group rider. I don't focus well.  I don't like to bike casually (if the group is slower).  I also have a habit of dropping my friends which is why nobody that knows me will ride with me.  Consequently, I am not a category rider which is why I also don't fit in with the high speed ir long distance crews.

Just now, Knoxtnhorn said:

I know.  I do the same thing with charity rides.  I'm the guy racing like I'm in the TDF.  I can't do casual even when mountain biking.  Side note: most of y'all are prob far superior than me on a bike.  

Yeah, I get it though. I ride alone 99.999% of the time, partly because the solitude is part of what makes me want to ride. There are three of us that have been riding a bit lately, two guys from my boat crew actually, and it's been kinda fun to have company. The downside is right now I'm considerably stronger than the other two, so I spend a good bit of time waiting. One of the guys however is very strong when he is in shape, he is a diesel on the flats, just totally detrained at the moment. When he is fit, he isn't explosive enough to drop me, but I certainly couldn't get past him.

I'm pretty mediocre as a cyclist though, I'm definitely not far superior to whatever you may be.

5 hours ago, G650 said:

Had another glorious Sunday here, been a good run of Sunday weather lately. Same two guys I rode Cap trail with last weekend came down from the peninsula to get a nice 30 mile spin in here in Va. Beach.

hows the biking in this area?  slihgt possibility uncle sam is moving us from LA out to that area next year.