The Surly Road Cycling Thread

idigTexas

Discuss gear, rides, training tips, recovery regimen, how to piss off motorists and live to tell about it, etc.

Anyone else brave the cold winds this morning at the Salado Smokin' Spokes?  It's a good ride, though I like it more when the elements aren't such a factor. 

Good thread, probably smart to leave the Pro Cycling thread to itself.

Just order my new BMC Roadmachine, hopefully have it in a couple weeks. Speaking of the elements, went for a light 30 miles yesterday morning in the sleet and snow because I'm regarded.

The lingering pissy winter has cut into my road riding.  Will be getting at it hard pretty soon.  There's over 150 miles of paved trails (mostly old rail lines) within a 45 minute radius of my house, so I have a lot to choose from.

Any of you degenerates ever do RAGBRAI?  It seems like every person I met on the ride last year from outside of Iowa was from Texas.

Yeah, for sure.

I've not done it, certainly looks cool though. Currently I'm planning a Euro trip next year to ride either some of the Pyrenees or the Dolomites, so that's basically all the time I can spare.

Had an interesting conversation at the LBS today. Apparently a lot of people are getting back into MTB's. I'm very much a solo rider (though one of the sales guys there just got his BMC in, so we may go for a spin), and not really plugged into the scene anymore, so I'm out of the loop on these things. The conversation started when I was mentioning in passing I started on MTB's back in the late 80s, was one of the original teens who drove that scene, and got into road bikes as I got older. I was somewhat surprised to hear this, as I assumed MTB ridership had been pretty steady, and road biking had been sort of falling in the race scene, but steady in the general ridership sense. Apparently all the road racers are just dropping road bikes almost completely and going MTBing. In our area it's extra odd, as you have to drive a long ass way to get to decent MTBing. To go on the road, it's just open the garage and roll.

2 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

Yes, 20+ years. Although now I am a bagger and come across the route only a few times. I've taken friends and found serious racing cyclists hate it, but weekend warriors enjoy it. Iowa is a wonderful cycling destination. 

It's definitely more about the party and less about serious riding.  I'm not an "every year" kind of guy, but I do it when I can.  It's pretty much everything I love about my home state on display for a week.

5 hours ago, G650 said:

Had an interesting conversation at the LBS today. Apparently a lot of people are getting back into MTB's. I'm very much a solo rider (though one of the sales guys there just got his BMC in, so we may go for a spin), and not really plugged into the scene anymore, so I'm out of the loop on these things. The conversation started when I was mentioning in passing I started on MTB's back in the late 80s, was one of the original teens who drove that scene, and got into road bikes as I got older. I was somewhat surprised to hear this, as I assumed MTB ridership had been pretty steady, and road biking had been sort of falling in the race scene, but steady in the general ridership sense. Apparently all the road racers are just dropping road bikes almost completely and going MTBing. In our area it's extra odd, as you have to drive a long ass way to get to decent MTBing. To go on the road, it's just open the garage and roll.

I hear you.  I went through a long MTB phase, and even sold my road bike at the time.  I would likely still be riding MTB if I could find miles of rolling single track without having to pack up all my shit and drive somewhere.  I'll drive for an event or if I'm in the mood for something different, but most of my rides are from home.  I have several shop or club rides that I can ride to, and of course, solo is always in play. 

1 hour ago, SDG said:

I’d love to do Australia Melbourne to Sydney or Sydney to Brisbane.  

I really am looking hard at Australia.  I just don't know if I want to lose two days of vacation for the travel to get there.  I have the same issue with Japan.  There's a show on NHK, "Cycle Around Japan" that is tempting me big time.  A Europe trip sounds fun too...so many options. 

12 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Gorgeous.  Hope you get it dialed in perfectly.

One reason I got it from this shop is they have a real top shelf fitter. I've refined my own fit over the years which is probably 99% there, but I want this set up perfectly. This guy is great down to all the details of cleat shimmimg and the whole 9 yards.

I’m a mountain biker turned roadie turned back mountain biker.  Part of it is my own ADD and losing interest in things after immersing myself into them for a few years.  But part of it is safety-driven too.  I’ve had too many close calls on Austin roads.  I still keep up with my roadie buddies but I ride alone on trails now or occasionally with a group on a night ride in the dark.  

Nothing quite like rotating the crank to feed that OC monster, at least that's been my experience.  I'm lucky to have good road riding routes available. 

Just coming out of rotator cuff surgery, after 5 weeks off the bike, and about a year not able to do planks.  Its nice to be on the other side of that, but the fitness hole is going to take all summer to climb out of.  I've committed to a metric century with 2500 ft elevation in 4 weeks.  I'll be taking that in from way back, I guess.

Great looking bike, 650.

On 4/15/2018 at 12:07 PM, Chuychanga said:

I’m a mountain biker turned roadie turned back mountain biker.  Part of it is my own ADD and losing interest in things after immersing myself into them for a few years.  But part of it is safety-driven too.  I’ve had too many close calls on Austin roads.  I still keep up with my roadie buddies but I ride alone on trails now or occasionally with a group on a night ride in the dark.  

I get skittish with road biking as well.  I'm lucky to have a ton of paved trails, and that's where I do almost all of my solo riding, and about 2/3rds of my group riding.  The main exception is my old man and I ride a 40 mile loop past some of our farms once a week come summer, but that's in the flatlands where you can hear cars coming from miles away, and they can see you.  Never felt uncomfortable in that scenario.

7 hours ago, NBMisha said:

Nothing quite like rotating the crank to feed that OC monster, at least that's been my experience.  I'm lucky to have good road riding routes available. 

Just coming out of rotator cuff surgery, after 5 weeks off the bike, and about a year not able to do planks.  Its nice to be on the other side of that, but the fitness hole is going to take all summer to climb out of.  I've committed to a metric century with 2500 ft elevation in 4 weeks.  I'll be taking that in from way back, I guess.

Great looking bike, 650.

I understand the feeling, I was off the bike for over 6 months due to all sorts of stuff, life mostly. 12 weeks in and I'm just now feeling barely reasonable.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I get skittish with road biking as well.  I'm lucky to have a ton of paved trails, and that's where I do almost all of my solo riding, and about 2/3rds of my group riding.  The main exception is my old man and I ride a 40 mile loop past some of our farms once a week come summer, but that's in the flatlands where you can hear cars coming from miles away, and they can see you.  Never felt uncomfortable in that scenario.

To me, the key is really knowing the roads and their rhythms. And it's not something you can get from Google maps, you have to actually know them. 

Also, I spend a lot of time riding at 4:30 in the morning, which helps.

33 minutes ago, G650 said:

I understand the feeling, I was off the bike for over 6 months due to all sorts of stuff, life mostly. 12 weeks in and I'm just now feeling barely reasonable.

To me, the key is really knowing the roads and their rhythms. And it's not something you can get from Google maps, you have to actually know them. 

Also, I spend a lot of time riding at 4:30 in the morning, which helps.

Agreed completely.  I only road ride on roads that I've driven frequently, and like you said, know the traffic rhythms.  I tend to pick non-primary roads with low traffic.

Count me in with those who have missed substantial time due to injury.  I was out for a year with tendonitis behind the knee caused by a new saddle that was about a centimeter too high.  It took me about 4 months to get back to where I was fitness wise, and I'm still carrying some of the extra weight I gained.  The body just doesn't recover like it did when I was younger.

I generally stick to roads where cycling is common.  Drivers can still get annoyed if they have to work to get around you, but at least most of them know to expect it.  I also picked up one of these.  It's great peace of mind. 

cf-lg.jpg  

Edited by idigTexas

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

any recs on a phone mount?  the one i got comes apart where the phone holding part and the bike holding part come together. 

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Universal-Smartphone-One-button-Rotatable/dp/B015PS3ME2/

The clamp ones all generally suck. I have one but it's only used on trainer. If you want to actually carry on the road, I recommend getting a phone case, and epoxying a Wahoo or Garmin mount on back of it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, elfenix said:

any recs on a phone mount?  the one i got comes apart where the phone holding part and the bike holding part come together. 

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Universal-Smartphone-One-button-Rotatable/dp/B015PS3ME2/

what are you looking to do with it?  really might just be worth it to get a dedicated cycling computer

Get a basic polar/garmin with HR if you want it, but I recommend putting the phone in a Jersey pocket inside a waterproof pouch. I use JerseyBin pouches and have no complaints.

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

what are you looking to do with it?  really might just be worth it to get a dedicated cycling computer

holding my phone more securely than a shorts pocket and more conveniently accessed than an arm band (which my phone outgrew anyway).  i'm using the phone for podcasts.

i'm just tooling around houston on paved hike/bike paths getting in some exercise.  i've got no jerseys though maybe that's the best way to go. 

Edited by elfenix

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

holding my phone more securely than a shorts pocket and more conveniently accessed than an arm band (which my phone outgrew anyway).  i'm using the phone for podcasts.

i'm just tooling around houston on paved hike/bike paths getting in some exercise.  i've got no jerseys though maybe that's the best way to go. 

If you want to keep things casual, you don't have to buy a full Rapha kit or even wear a traditional cycling jersey to get something functional.  Something like this will allow you to safely carry your phone while riding, and it even has routing holes for headphones. 

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/cycling-clothing/mens-cycling-clothing/short-sleeve-jerseys/performance-sport-heathered-tee-11-3550

Edited by idigTexas
  • Like 1

I love them, their modulation is so superior to rim brakes it isn't funny. That said, I don't think it's worth someone running out and getting another bike just for discs unless they are planning on bombing mountain passes in inclement weather. Generally, if you are looking for a bike, I'd get discs.

A lot of the reasons roadies give to downplay them are bullshit really, I've raced mtb and motocross for decades, and discs are juat part of the deal and they perform like no other brake can.