The Surly Road Cycling Thread

idigTexas

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

hows the biking in this area?  slihgt possibility uncle sam is moving us from LA out to that area next year.  

Not great, to be honest. Which base? Oceana puts you close to me (literally across the street from where I'm typing right now) and closer to decent riding. Langley or the other Peninsula bases get you reasonably closer to heading west for some good stuff around Williamsburg. If Norfolk, sorry about about your luck. You better drive to where you want to ride.

On 11/24/2018 at 10:50 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

Question for Austin roadies:

I have two friends who are planning a bike trip from Austin to Big Bend. They aren't from Austin, although one of them is a longhorn. Years ago, I did a similar bike trip, so they asked me what the best/safest route to bike west from Austin would be. It's been 20 years since I lived in Austin, but I remember back in the day biking to Hamilton's Pool and Pedernales Falls via Hamilton Pool road.

Is that way still safely bike-able? Alternate routes?

Nobody knows a reasonably safe route to bike west from Austin to say Pedernales Falls?

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Not great, to be honest. Which base? Oceana puts you close to me (literally across the street from where I'm typing right now) and closer to decent riding. Langley or the other Peninsula bases get you reasonably closer to heading west for some good stuff around Williamsburg. If Norfolk, sorry about about your luck. You better drive to where you want to ride.

It would be langley area, yorktown williamsburg 

52 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

It would be langley area, yorktown williamsburg 

You can get some good riding out that way. One of the guys I rode with yesterday actually lives in Yorktown. Once you get west of there it's very good, especially past Williamsburg. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 9:29 PM, G650 said:

5500 km this year in total, hope for more like 7500 in 2019.

Those are good numbers.  I'd be happy to do 5.  (Did near 0 this year).  Gonna cut down biz travel this year and spend more weekends riding.....

....when the weather gets better.

12 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Those are good numbers.  I'd be happy to do 5.  (Did near 0 this year).  Gonna cut down biz travel this year and spend more weekends riding.....

....when the weather gets better.

Yeah, 5 is usually my target as well.

First road ride of 2019 in the books.  Gravel on the fatty.  Might as well make use of this dry, mild winter.  If you look to the right of the biker in the foreground, you can see one of the guys walking his bike up the hill.  He's in his early 60's, and had both knees redone this summer/fall.  First ride of any distance for him since maybe September.  He's a tough SOB.

IMG-0813.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SDG said:

What's the word on tires?  How long do they last and what is Surly's recommendation?  I currently have Giant P-SL1's but they are wearing thin so will need replaced soon.  

How long they last is a seriously variable question. 

You cant go wrong with Continental GP4K or the new 5K. Pretty much the benchmark. I have really been digging Vittoria Corsas lately. Slightly less puncture protection than the Contis but very comfortable and easy rolling. 

What sort of use are you looking at? Racing, general riding, mixed surface?

2 hours ago, SDG said:

What's the word on tires?  How long do they last and what is Surly's recommendation?  I currently have Giant P-SL1's but they are wearing thin so will need replaced soon.  

I think those are tubeless rims (or is that PR1?)

tubeless tires.  Schwalbe Pro One tubeless, or the Continental GP5K tubeless.

how long they last depends how fat you are.  but usually a few thousand Ks...meaning 1 full season

32 minutes ago, G650 said:

How long they last is a seriously variable question. 

You cant go wrong with Continental GP4K or the new 5K. Pretty much the benchmark. I have really been digging Vittoria Corsas lately. Slightly less puncture protection than the Contis but very comfortable and easy rolling. 

What sort of use are you looking at? Racing, general riding, mixed surface?

I mostly ride the local bike paths which are fairly clean and smooth and my range is generally 20-30miles per ride.  

10 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I think those are tubeless rims (or is that PR1?)

tubeless tires.  Schwalbe Pro One tubeless, or the Continental GP5K tubeless.

how long they last depends how fat you are.  but usually a few thousand Ks...meaning 1 full season

My rims are PR-2's and they have tubes.  I'm not very fat but the tires do have about 2k miles on them.  

The GP5000's look like they may be the best option.  

• 2 weeks later...

So I’m doing a bike for MS charity ride coming up. I opted for the 100 mile ride. The most I’ve done in one stretch without a stop is 49 miles.  I don’t have a ton of time remaining. However in recent years I’ve had so many close to me in my circle afflicted with this I felt the desire to go the distance  aside from increasing saddle time any other tips. Especially nutrition side for you more experienced folks 

34 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

So I’m doing a bike for MS charity ride coming up. I opted for the 100 mile ride. The most I’ve done in one stretch without a stop is 49 miles.  I don’t have a ton of time remaining. However in recent years I’ve had so many close to me in my circle afflicted with this I felt the desire to go the distance  aside from increasing saddle time any other tips. Especially nutrition side for you more experienced folks 

Houston to Austin?  Great ride if so. Big party at the overnight in La Grange.  Sunday morning wake up music is......La Grange.

If you can consistently get a 49 mile non-stop, you should be good for the first day.  Second day is painful in the nether regions unless you have a big mileage base built up.

20 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Houston to Austin?  Great ride if so. Big party at the overnight in La Grange.  Sunday morning wake up music is......La Grange.

If you can consistently get a 49 mile non-stop, you should be good for the first day.  Second day is painful in the nether regions unless you have a big mileage base built up.

This ride will be in the west coast. I do have concerns about my bib haha and hoping the man region survives 

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

If you have done 50 ish, 100 is not a problem for a single day. You will probably be sore, but nothing unmanageable. I think you will have a decent feel for your bike fit if you have done that sort of distance, so I wouldn't worry that too much. Nutrition will be key, but it's just a steady process. Eat every 20-30 minutes to stay ahead of the game, because once you are behind you won't catch up. I would recommend trying out various bars/gels/whatever to see how they sit in your stomach over the next few weeks, everyone s a little different. For regular food, bananas, light sandwiches and such all good.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

CSB I liked the design of this limited-edition jersey, so I found old-stock online, the last of its size, and ordered it.   To get free shipping also added a pair of tires (Conti GP5k),.

The package arrived with plastic UPS bag loosely stretched over a rectangular form, as if there was a shipping box inside it. 

So i sliced at the bag lightly with my pocket knife and ended up puncturing the jersey in 2 places.  Basically they put the 2 tire packages side by side, scrunched the jersey next to it, and shipped it that way, unprotected.  Asshats

• 2 weeks later...

Second Thursday Night Ride of the year tonight.  Get together with a group of friends and do a quick 20 miler on the paved rail trail that starts in our town.  There's a town halfway between where we live, and the other terminus of the trail.  They have two bars there.  We do a round at each, ride back to our town, and have pizza and more beer.  One of my favorite little traditions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Looks like I have the logistics set for doing the last couple days of RAGBRAI.  Temps in southern Iowa are going to be in the 100's this weekend (pushing that up here), so I'm hoping for a late week cool off.

Yeah it's been scorching here too. I've got a century with 11,000 feet of climbing in three weeks, really hope it cools off some.

Take some vids from RAGBRAI debauchery for us man.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yeah it's been scorching here too. I've got a century with 11,000 feet of climbing in three weeks, really hope it cools off some.

10-4.  Can you post video via tapatalk?

14 hours ago, G650 said:

You're out east right?  Is that in the Appalachians?  That's some serious climbing.

My wife wants to start working on cycling.  She runs marathons right now but eventually wants to do a triathlon.  She went to our local bike shop and they are telling her that she needs a $3000 tri bike plus some other stuff that equals about $1000.  The other stuff is a Garmin computer to map her routes plus some Garmin device that goes on the back to blink a red light and notify her of any cars coming up on her.  That all seems like a lot for her just getting into it.  She wouldn't be competitive in a triathalon just trying to finish it.  Am I wrong in thinking that she could just as easily use a road bike for what she wants?

11 minutes ago, txhorns said:

My wife wants to start working on cycling.  She runs marathons right now but eventually wants to do a triathlon.  She went to our local bike shop and they are telling her that she needs a $3000 tri bike plus some other stuff that equals about $1000.  The other stuff is a Garmin computer to map her routes plus some Garmin device that goes on the back to blink a red light and notify her of any cars coming up on her.  That all seems like a lot for her just getting into it.  She wouldn't be competitive in a triathalon just trying to finish it.  Am I wrong in thinking that she could just as easily use a road bike for what she wants?

She'll also need sleeveless jerseys.  And cycling shoes.  But no socks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You're out east right?  Is that in the Appalachians?  That's some serious climbing.

Yeah, it's on the VA/WV state line. So not too much elevation, but some sharp ramps, couple 14% ones.

12 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Damn dude.  That's pretty impressive.  Please check back and let us (me) know how that went.  

My goal time is "Not dead".

This is pretty much the midway point of a multi year training cycle for doing the Pyrenees circle of death from Luchon to Pau, covering the Peyresourde, Aspin, Tourmalet and Aubisque. 125 miles and 22k of vertical.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, G650 said:

Yeah, it's on the VA/WV state line. So not too much elevation, but some sharp ramps, couple 14% ones.

My goal time is "Not dead".

This is pretty much the midway point of a multi year training cycle for doing the Pyrenees circle of death from Luchon to Pau, covering the Peyresourde, Aspin, Tourmalet and Aubisque. 125 miles and 22k of vertical.

So you've a trip to France planned after this century? Hope you are able to GoPro the shit out of it and share a video with us.