Has anyone been fired yet?

Orange&White

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Next season will be to see which of the past 2 is the anomaly. 7-8 wins next season had better cost him his job. 

something tells me 8-4 will allow the "light at the end of the tunnel" "Rome not built in a day" bs to continue. 7-5 should get him fired, but I bet it will only mean he is officially on the "hot seat" at that point and get one more year to fix his shit.  That Sugar Bowl got him two extra years. 

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

This. No OC or DC with a future (this means a good one) wants anything to do with being under Tom Herman.

CDC has to know this reality.

There is only one solution.

Nuke it from orbit just to be sure.

Anything else is extending the pain and delaying inevitable reality.

But that is why no one with significant positions will likely be let go, certainly not DOHrlandDOH and likely not Beck ( unless he is reassigned) . There may be some position coach changes, but token ones only. TH has cover for 2020, maybe 2021 unless someone has felony level video on him .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

According to Sam all of us fans should be happy we are going to a bowl with a chance to win 8 games. Are they all just completely delusional? Wtf.

I've really grown to like Sam less this season. He seems too complacent with how much we regressed. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I think CDC should walk into Toms office and say we’re gonna hire Morris as OC and Boom as DC for a year so they can flip a year for another HC job and can save your job too.  After we win the big 12 next year we’ll go find us another of each. 

Less jokes. Let’s try to keep this thread serious, please.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Goodman said:

On tonights podcast, Scipio expects changes by Sunday and within next few weeks then another set of changes around our bowl game.

In case yah missed from Thurs, Saty posted this:  

Thursdays in the Humidor: 11/28/19   (Thx @satyanash)

By: Justin Wells and Eric Nahlin

We'll pick up from Monday's Scoop:  "Based on what I'm hearing from booster lines, I expect significant changes starting underneath the head coach, though check back on that in a week or two. From agent circles I've heard four names (at a minimum) of coaches who aren't expected to return. I'd take the over. Don't bother asking for names."

Nearly every signal we're picking up on coaching changes points to Tom Herman getting a chance to invest heavily on a reboot. That's in fact what he's been telling the parents of players he's sort of re-recruiting and that's what it sounds like from agent circles and beyond. I say 'nearly every signal' because I think there was a bit of a donor push for Texas to cut bait with Herman, though we think Chris Del Conte has chosen to invest significantly in a reboot. We expect Texas to be very proactive in making changes, and aggressive in hiring the best of the best. Only time will tell whether or not they can pull it off.

We believe changes will start occurring by Sunday at the latest and Bryan Carrington and Andre Coleman will be elevated to coaching staff so they can hit the road and recruit. Those are of course short-term arrangements. Carrington hit the road aggressively two years ago and was an immediate help on the trail. We'll be monitoring who he visits closely next week. Perhaps some new targets emerge. Texas is fortunate the nucleus of the class is as solid as it is.

Who Texas parts with immediately will have ramifications towards the bowl. Coaching changes are more important than the bowl, but you still need guys to coach the next three weeks and the game. We could see two waves of changes -- before and after the bowl. The same could happen for new hires, especially if the candidate has a meaningful game or two remaining. Just keep in mind if someone is retained well into December it might not mean a whole lot. We also expect at least one coach, but maybe two, to be re-assigned either within the staff or to support staff.

As for coaching searches, we're very confident Texas has its sights set on at least one big name for offensive coordinator (there could be more we don't know about). When you aim for a big name you're going to be up against a number of suitors, not just the coach's current school, and that's something that will have to be factored in towards fan expectations. If it's deemed this coach is a good fit, UT won't lose out for lack of trying. Remember, big fish will want "their guys" and that could be another hang up we'll be watching out for. So far UT seems to be in decent position with the coach we feel is their #1 offensive target at this time.

Where Texas would go after this guy, I'm unsure (some of the names on the rumor mill I haven't personally heard), but judging by the amount of general interest I'm hearing from my personal coaching contacts I'm sure there is no shortage of offensive coordinators and other coaches who are interested in Texas.

If defensive coordinator opens up, Utah's Morgan Scalley will get a full vetting. I heard he's been someone they've had their eye on dating back to when they were fearful Todd Orlando might land a head coaching gig. Scalley has the look of a Ute lifer, but his upward mobility is hindered greatly by Kyle Whittingham. This is basically a Petersen/Harsin dynamic. Scalley could chose to spread his wings, but it would take a great situation to get him to uproot.

As mentioned above, Herman reached out to a large number of parents over the last couple days. His message: “Let me fix this.” For the most part, I think kids will wait to see how the new staff shakes out. Players and parents are watching these hires intently. These hires are important for both Herman's long-term and short-term success. Good replacements could be the difference in losing one or two players, or a handful of talented ones. This pressure is a good thing in forcing Herman and Del Conte to make quality hires.

We're going to wait for Texas to announce any coaching changes and then immediately drop in to add a color. At this time we only feel like three coaches (not counting Herman) are safe, and one of those might be a stretch depending on some other hires.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

Predictions/hoping 

Tim Beck - moved to QB coach or “take time off to spend more time with family”

Stan Drayton - remains RB coach 

Oscar Giles - remains DE coach 

Herb Hand - remains OL Coach 

Corby Meekins - Let go Sunday 

Drew Mehringer - let go Sunday 

Craig Naivar - let go after Bowl

Todd Orlando - let go after Bowl 

Derek Warehime - moved to Belmont Staff

Jason Washington  - let go after Bowl

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Predictions/hoping 

Why Warehime to staff and not Meekins? Otherwise, I tend to agree. Hate to see Washington go because of his recruiting ability, but it's probably needed.

36 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Predictions/hoping 

Drop Warehime and reassign Meekins IMO. I think they keep Washington as well. Let Giles coach DTs (in our hopefully new 4 man front) and bring in recruiting rainmakers at DE and TE. The rest is dead on

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Washington is terrible.  Our corners have absolutely terrible fundamentals.  

He’s not my favorite but he’s a beast recruiter and has the youth excuse for a year. Gotta keep a couple assistants right? 

Edited by RGBIII

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Predictions/hoping 

Stan Drayton - remains RB coach   let go after bowl

Oscar Giles - remains DE coach  let go after the bowl

Todd Orlando - let go after Bowl   remains on the staff

more likely I believe. and the only reason Hand stays is he has 1 year left on his contract

Mensa/conspiracy level theory:

good recruiters should be far more abundant and easier to find than really, really good coaches.  Ones who do both are rare.

rebuilding a dumpster fire can be accomplished by bringing in a shit load of talent or bringing is a great coaching staff.

if you bring in a great coaching staff ala Matt rhule, ~3 years and you're winning big, recruiting will start to pick up steam.

If you bring in great recruiters and stock the roster with blue chips for ~3 years, then bring in really good coaches....Profit

OR

insecure narcissist who is also a very very inexperienced HC, brings the only coaches he really knows.  He's in so far over his own head that he's frozen into inaction, he constantly checks his bank account online because hes amazed the checks keep coming.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KYHorn said:

Why Warehime to staff and not Meekins? Otherwise, I tend to agree. Hate to see Washington go because of his recruiting ability, but it's probably needed.

Washington could recruit Jalen Ramsey and Stephon Gilmore as his starting CBs with Chris Harris Jr as his NB and by the end of the year they'd all have the ball skills completely coached out of them.

• Like 1

If CDC/Herman run this like a typical business then the move will be to "promote" Orlando to Assistant HC and give him a raise, essentially buying him out of his current role. Hire a new DC and increase the payroll while maybe/maybe not marginally increasing returns. No AD is going to tell his 6MM dollar guy to make significant changes but he WILL suggest that a donor will contribute to getting some fresh blood into the program. It's really the only way to appeal to huge egos, let them sort of get their way and still effect some change. The position/lesser coaches can be handled in more traditional ways, assuming the HC isn't just a super hardheaded jackass. Just my $.02. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

If CDC/Herman run this like a typical business then the move will be to "promote" Orlando to Assistant HC and give him a raise, essentially buying him out of his current role. Hire a new DC and increase the payroll while maybe/maybe not marginally increasing returns. No AD is going to tell his 6MM dollar guy to make significant changes but he WILL suggest that a donor will contribute to getting some fresh blood into the program. It's really the only way to appeal to huge egos, let them sort of get their way and still effect some change. The position/lesser coaches can be handled in more traditional ways, assuming the HC isn't just a super hardheaded jackass. Just my $.02. 

LMAO off at that first sentence but fucking no.  A typical business you would get a memorandum announcing the re-org and it would contain a paragraph near the end that went something like this:

"Todd Orlando has decided to pursue other opportunities, his last day with The University of Texas at Austin will be Friday December 6th.  We want to thank Todd for his many contributions during his time here at Texas and wish him the absolute best in all of his future endeavors."

The fucking end

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Wareheim is the obvious first to go, followed closely by Meh. Art Briles’ apologist should be dumped as well. No clue which defensive coaches are hitting the bricks, but someone has to go. 

Anyone even slightly associated with special teams should have the decency to resign and pelt themselves in the face with rotten vegetables. 

• Like 2

He can go suck his friend off at tech. 

All I know is even if Herman gets to the playoffs people are going to hate him. He isn't the answer, he's already shown his true colors and said things he can't unsay like the dreaded "I'll never say I was outcoached" a guy that says that after a shit ass loss that was clearly on the staff is fucked. 

55 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

He’s not my favorite but he’s a beast recruiter and has the youth excuse for a year. Gotta keep a couple assistants right? 

No.  We have a terrible secondary and players are not being taught fundamentals.  Other schools are using his terrible teaching against us in recruiting.  He has to go.

This program has to start emphasizing fundamentals and development.  The days of "well he doesn't know shit, but he's great salesman" need to be over.  We can afford to have one or two great recruiters/know nothings on staff.  That's it.  

• Like 2

I am sure there are folks here on Surly who could put a figure to the lost/gained revenue in relation to the win/loss record of any particular year.  And I would think there is a factor of past performance to figure in as well. 

Point is, I think that buyouts should be relative to the losses.  Start with a 10 win season and then with each loss under 10, reduce the buyout by a certain amount.  And with each loss, the buyout penalty increases.  First loss is say 1 million, second one is 1.5 million, third is 2.5 million, etc.    So with a 7-6 season, you have reduced the buyout by 5 million.  (So instead of 1 million as your beginning figure, use the figure calculated above).

It continues into the next season, doesn't reset.  So go 9-4 the next season, then that loss is worth 4 million off buyout reduction.   So the total buyout for the current contract is 9 million less than originally contracted.  If the guy starts winning and meeting your standards regularly, then a new contract would obviously be negotiated. 

The coach (or staff) loses no regular income, it just costs less to get rid of them.  Probably something like this already, but it should be more common.

I would also put in some sort of moral turpitude clause for buyout, then if the guy goes all Art Briles, then he can be canned, regardless of wins.

TL;DR:  Buyouts should be performance based.

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

No.  We have a terrible secondary and players are not being taught fundamentals.  Other schools are using his terrible teaching against us in recruiting.  He has to go.

This program has to start emphasizing fundamentals and development.  The days of "well he doesn't know shit, but he's great salesman" need to be over.  We can afford to have one or two great recruiters/know nothings on staff.  That's it.  

The best recruiting is putting guys in the fucking league.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Not soon enough. He should have fired his staff when the gun sounded or it's not good enough for Surly.

Its not the GD coaching staff. Its the Head shit himself that is the issue. Possibly the only salvage by keeping this guy is for CDC to make him bring someone in like Dick Tomey as a AHC. Someone he would actually listen too. If that is even possible.

3 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Its not the GD coaching staff. Its the Head shit himself that is the issue. Possibly the only salvage by keeping this guy is for CDC to make him bring someone in like Dick Tomey as a AHC. Someone he would actually listen too. If that is even possible.

About that....

Tomey was diagnosed with lung cancer in January 2019[17] and died from complications of the disease that May

Edited by Surly Bevo

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

You people just need to chill the fuck out, most of the staff has contracts ending this year so they aren't gonna announce any firings. The first thing you'll hear about it is when someone is hired and that's not gonna happen today.

so all those reports about BC hitting the road were dirty, dirty lies?

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

This nugget of truth is so depressing. We haven't developed NFL talent consistently for a decade.

it eventually turned into a disaster but for a while in the aughts mack and maddog were putting guys into the league on a consistent basis.  could it really be that hard?

• Like 1

My dad had this old lady that had been the admin for his org for years. She had no plans to retire....just to keep sucking on the corporate tite.

Anyway, he fucking sent out invitations for a big retirement party to the whole staff. For her.

She came. Everyone said goodbye. And she drove off. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

My dad had this old lady that had been the admin for his org for years. She had no plans to retire....just to keep sucking on the corporate tite.

Anyway, he fucking sent out invitations for a big retirement party to the whole staff. For her.

She came. Everyone said goodbye. And she drove off. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pics of old lady?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

LMAO off at that first sentence but fucking no.  A typical business you would get a memorandum announcing the re-org and it would contain a paragraph near the end that went something like this:

"Todd Orlando has decided to pursue other opportunities, his last day with The University of Texas at Austin will be Friday December 6th.  We want to thank Todd for his many contributions during his time here at Texas and wish him the absolute best in all of his future endeavors."

The fucking end

We probably need to distinguish between well run businesses and ones where execs hire their friends. 

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

if your players regress, recruiting doesn't matter.  keeping coaches for their recruiting is now proven useless.

This.

What difference does it make if you recruit all universe players with shit for brains, lazy and or/incompetent coaches? 

We have seen those results from FUPM->Cholly->Densa, do not need a larger sample size. Coaching and some form of discipline matters.

• Like 1