Has anyone been fired yet?

Orange&White

29 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
30 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:
Over/Under of 4.5 for Texas assistant coach changes this offseason seems to be a decent betting line from what I recently heard on a podcast... 

Does that include all the analysts, etc.? If we're only talking coordinators and position coaches I'd take the under on that.

yeah, analysts don't count Tom...

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Why the hell is Burton getting the ear of CDC and Herman??

I’m sure you’re not the only person naively and ignorantly hating on Burton because it’s de rigeur, so I’ll give you an honest answer. 

Burton is the godfather of recruiting at a national level at this point. He’s the longest tenured guy still in the inner workings of the national recruiting landscape. He has contacts at the high school, college, and NFL level in the coaching and scouting ranks. He’s actively involved with information gathering and recruiting coverage. He’s also a UT alum and wealthy in his own right, so he’s less swayed by the need to “get the scoop” at all costs. There couldn’t possibly be a better source for a program to have an information share with than Burton. One school has that opportunity in a natural way. Both sides would be idiots to not share info and use each other occasionally. 

Nothing I just wrote says I like Burton’s behavior at times. I don’t. He was a shill for Mack Brown. He’s been a mouthpiece for the org when it served the fan base’s detriment. That said, I know the guy a little and he’s alright. He’s smart and he wants Texas to succeed. The worst thing he’s ever done is give shitty people a platform. Specifically, he made Geoff Ketchum’s gravy-coated career and that dude is not a good person and isn’t ever, ever helpful to our university. I’ve said as much to his fat ass in public. Burton also kept Chip Brown on after 24/7 bought Scout and he’s now given him access. Brown is a disgusting person and a bad actor when it comes to UT. I see zero redeeming qualities in Chip Brown and I’m actively rooting for his next fuck-up to permanently force him away from UT.

So all in all, I can’t endorse Burton as a great asset to UT’s cause. I can say that you should be reading what he and Brown are putting out there if you’re starved for info. I’m not reading either of them, but feel free to post their latest shit and if I have a view on what they’re actually attempting to disseminate, I’m happy to do so. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m sure you’re not the only person naively and ignorantly hating on Burton because it’s de rigeur, so I’ll give you an honest answer. 

Burton is the godfather of recruiting at a national level at this point. He’s the longest tenured guy still in the inner workings of the national recruiting landscape. He has contacts at the high school, college, and NFL level in the coaching and scouting ranks. He’s actively involved with information gathering and recruiting coverage. He’s also a UT alum and wealthy in his own right, so he’s less swayed by the need to “get the scoop” at all costs. There couldn’t possibly be a better source for a program to have an information share with than Burton. One school has that opportunity in a natural way. Both sides would be idiots to not share info and use each other occasionally. 

Nothing I just wrote says I like Burton’s behavior at times. I don’t. He was a shill for Mack Brown. He’s been a mouthpiece for the org when it served the fan base’s detriment. That said, I know the guy a little and he’s alright. He’s smart and he wants Texas to succeed. The worst thing he’s ever done is give shitty people a platform. Specifically, he made Geoff Ketchum’s gravy-coated career and that dude is not a good person and isn’t ever, ever helpful to our university. I’ve said as much to his fat ass in public. Burton also kept Chip Brown on after 24/7 bought Scout and he’s now given him access. Brown is a disgusting person and a bad actor when it comes to UT. I see zero redeeming qualities in Chip Brown and I’m actively rooting for his next fuck-up to permanently force him away from UT.

So all in all, I can’t endorse Burton as a great asset to UT’s cause. I can say that you should be reading what he and Brown are putting out there if you’re starved for info. I’m not reading either of them, but feel free to post their latest shit and if I have a view on what they’re actually attempting to disseminate, I’m happy to do so. 

Really appreciate this response Ctj.  Solid info from what I've heard from a solid media friend of mine. 

I have often wondered why in the hell Burton kept FCB around at Horns247 after the Scout purchase.  Ketchum and FCB are indeed worthless people!! 

6 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

if your players regress, recruiting doesn't matter.  keeping coaches for their recruiting is now proven useless.

Side note, I really hope Bijan is all he's cracked up to be, because we seem to be doing this very thing. Only justification you hear from people on Drayton is Bijan. 

I swear to fuck.  I am so tired of watching highlights from other games - Ohio St, Alabama, OU, etc... - with Texas born players. Waddle just returned a KO for a TD against Auburn.  Earlier today, I had the pleasure of watching Garrett Wilson, Dobbins, Okudah, Browning tear up Michigan.  Last two Heisman winners from Texas.  F that noise.  I hope the changes we make shut down the state.  Lol.  Who am I kidding?

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I swear to fuck.  I am so tired of watching highlights from other games - Ohio St, Alabama, OU, etc... - with Texas born players. Waddle just returned a KO for a TD against Auburn.  Earlier today, I had the pleasure of watching Garrett Wilson, Dobbins, Okudah, Browning tear up Michigan.  Last two Heisman winners from Texas.  F that noise.  I hope the changes we make shut down the state.  Lol.  Who am I kidding?

Was about to post the same thing.  I think it's pretty simple. Kids want to play for winners.  We don't have winners in this state, so they go elsewhere.  And when I say winners, these are winning programs who maximize potential talent to get kids to the NFL.  Waddle, Dobbins, etc would be wasted here.  Good coaching only comes from programs committed to winning.  Texas is not one of those programs.  We only care about being classy gentlemen, snobby academic types.  Two conference titles in 20 years.  A fraud coach who thinks highly of himself and probably fits in well withe snobby BMDs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yeah this is it. I sit here and admire all the amazeballs plays other teams make and then realize all those players are from Texas. 

4 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Burton's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan. He speaks a dozen languages and knows every local custom. He'll blend in, disappear, and you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the grail already. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by BachelorTrek
Torpedoes. Phasing.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If Orlando does get fired and we want the Utah guy, well he’s probably not leaving. Utah has the possibility to be knocking on the door for a playoff spot if they handle Colorado tonight. So Scalley is a Utah lifer and he’s going to want to come coach for 7-5 Texas? It will take a lot of money to get him away. 

17 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

If Orlando does get fired and we want the Utah guy, well he’s probably not leaving. Utah has the possibility to be knocking on the door for a playoff spot if they handle Colorado tonight. So Scalley is a Utah lifer and he’s going to want to come coach for 7-5 Texas? It will take a lot of money to get him away. 

What if something goes wrong? What if they find a dead stripper in his office. He might be more flexible if Gov. Abbott offered him sanctuary from prosecution. Austin is a sanctuary city. Free from prosecution as long as he stays inside the city limits... and the team wins a minimum of eight games a year. Just sayin'.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I hope the changes we make shut down the state

Technology has killed the days when any Texas school could 'shut down the state', even if we were still winning.  In the 80s you could sit in front of mama in the living room in Tyler and say "Do you want to watch your son play every home game 3 hours away or watch him play on TV once a year?".  Those days are long, long gone - mama can watch Junior play every game no matter where it is.  Even if we were going 12-0 every regular season we wouldn't be 'locking down' the top 20 recruits every year...

8 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Saw a quote in the Dallas morning news from Herman that said “teams with bright futures don’t make a ton of changes and he thinks we are still on course and have a bright future”.

Anyone see this yesterday? because I didn’t see it till this morning but holy fuck I spit my coffee out and was pissed. This would be classic Herman not making clear changes that need to be made because we had 610 yards against a shitty tech team. I have this horrible feeling he will just move some positional coaches out and keep Orlando and Beck.

source.gif

These two lovebirds had a bright future, too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

This is kind of a fallacy.  We could “shut down the state” but I think those guys would all have been “quality players” here and no better.  How many guys have we had come through who were “disappointments” in the last decade?  How many times have we said a player seems to have “regressed” since his freshman year?

Maybe we are getting the good players after all.  We’re just not making them better, and might be making them worse. 

• Like 3

This is kind of a fallacy.  We could “shut down the state” but I think those guys would all have been “quality players” here and no better.  How many guys have we had come through who were “disappointments” in the last decade?  How many times have we said a player seems to have “regressed” since his freshman year?

Maybe we are getting the good players after all.  We’re just not making them better, and might be making them worse. 
That's because they're getting terrible coaching.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2979f40926c73b38fc25

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I tend to agree.  Who's the last highly rated player to truly get better over time?  I was thinking Omenihu, but I don't recall him being rated extremely high coming out of high school.  Hell, didn't Texas sign the #1 RB in the country two years in a row - Gray and Brown?  

I guess I'll parse my original post with the above by stating that it still sucks that we're losing highly rated recruits to places like Ohio St, OU, and Bama regardless of the end result.

We coach the talent right out of em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fuck You 1

If we're going to do/announce this shit, now is the time.

Much more high profile and controversial moves happening today that will let ours fly under the radar for everyone other than those who need to pay attention (recruits).

Can't see any reason not to release news now unless we're still working on replacements.