iodeac

Colombia

Planning on doing an immersion program in Medellín for a week in February with a group of about 15 people, organized by the creators of a podcast I listen to. They did one earlier this year and it looks like a great opportunity. Is there a go-to website for aggregating prices, and when is the best time to book international travel? So far flights from Charlotte through Miami are around 800 round trip.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, iodeac said:

Planning on doing an immersion program in Medellín for a week in February with a group of about 15 people, organized by the creators of a podcast I listen to. They did one earlier this year and it looks like a great opportunity. Is there a go-to website for aggregating prices, and when is the best time to book international travel? So far flights from Charlotte through Miami are around 800 round trip.

What's the podcast?

Kayak has a price trend feature but it only really works for popular routes with lots of data.

Kayak also has a notification feature - they'll email you when prices drop. Another site that does this is farecompare.

I recommend searching at least 3 sites to check fares including a direct book with the airline of your choice. For example I was looking for a flight for my wife to Italy the other day. American's lowest offer price on their site was over $2500 but skyscanner found one with an AA code share on Iberia for about a thousand less.

If there's another airport near you that's close enough that you don't mind traveling from you might check fares from that airport, as well.

Also there's this advice from skyscanner

• For international flights, booking as far ahead as possible usually gets you the best price. For domestic flights, the sweet spot is between 3 and 6 weeks ahead. Prices either side of that time period just aren’t as good.

https://www.skyscanner.com/tips-and-inspiration/why-flight-prices-change-every-minute

Edited by Chopper

1 minute ago, iodeac said:

It's called Españolistos. It's actually a really good podcast and they cover a lot of interesting topics. They went to Medellin in February and it looked like a lot of fun.

do they do these trips for longer than a week?  I’ve wanted to go to colombia for a while now but I’d like to stay for a couple months. 

do they do these trips for longer than a week?  I’ve wanted to go to colombia for a while now but I’d like to stay for a couple months. 
I think the podcast is pretty new so this is the first year. Next year there are actually two different options in February but they each are about a week. No doubt there are other immersion programs through other schools for longer periods of time though