Malik Jefferson

Machinator

On 4/27/2018 at 9:09 PM, Rex Kramer said:

Every Texas player that went early got terrible advice. Happy for Conner but really worried about him. And I continue to think Malik has been overrated. Hope I’m wrong and he’s Jordan Hicks, who was also overrated. 

In hindsight I agree they all got bad advice from someone (even CW considering some of the o-linemen picked ahead of him) but i'd say at both UT and the NFL, Jordan Hicks lived up to his rating...when he's healthy, which isn't very often. He's famous (or infamous) for ending Tony Romo's career ffs..

Edited by ousux
autocomplete sucks fucking donkey gonads

21 hours ago, Machinator said:

They mad (from gigem247, h/t longhornfrenzy)

DcIv4X4U0AAQ3fe.jpgDcIv6KsU0AAucth.jpg

someone should ask mediaguyfs1 what kind of ball Mizzery plays...and fuckin ACC is a joke, right? I mean when someone puts an SECSEC team in a bowl game with a basketball school, they might as well skip the formalities and go straight to the trophy ceremony with the SEC team.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:

In hindsight I agree they all got bad advice from someone (even CW considering some of the o-linemen picked ahead of him) but i'd say at both UT and the NFL, Jordan Hicks lived up to his rating...when he's healthy, which isn't very often. He's famous (or infamous) for ending Tony Romo's career ffs..

Jesus. Jordan Hicks did NOT live up to his rating at Texas. Some of you have terrible memories. 

2 hours ago, ousux said:

Cliff Avril would like a word with you

• Like 1

As a guy on an extreme budget in college I lived off campus and had no "meal plan" or dining hall access.  I envied my friend living in Jester.  I'm sure the food athletes get is several steps above Jester food.  Student athletes at the University of Texas are likely in the top 5% of best fed people in their age range in the Austin area in terms of food quality, quantity, variety, access, etc.  And it'll all cooked for them.  

Whaaaaa!

I love Malik though. It's lack of perspective.  You don't realize how good you had it in college until the pressures of the real world make you realize that hanging out with your friends, working out and playing a game to the adulation of a hundred thousand in the stands and millions at home was a pretty sweet deal. 

• Like 2

I have no problem with him leaving though.  Risk of injury, potential of having a bad senior year, etc.  He did the right thing.  Earn the rest of your degree in the offseason.  Leaving early doesn't have to mean you wasted your education.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

As a guy on an extreme budget in college I lived off campus and had no "meal plan" or dining hall access.  I envied my friend living in Jester.  I'm sure the food athletes get is several steps above Jester food.  Student athletes at the University of Texas are likely in the top 5% of best fed people in their age range in the Austin area in terms of food quality, quantity, variety, access, etc.  And it'll all cooked for them.  

Whaaaaa!

I love Malik though. It's lack of perspective.  You don't realize how good you had it in college until the pressures of the real world make you realize that hanging out with your friends, working out and playing a game to the adulation of a hundred thousand in the stands and millions at home was a pretty sweet deal. 

Andrews > Kinsolving > Jester

It all sucks....  but let's not act like the food is the reason a football player leaves college to go play in the NFL.  "Food" is code for "Money" and "Time".

And he's still going to play the game... with new buddies and in front of a lot more fans... with more money and time. Not bad.

Edited by Snacks

Sometimes, it's best just to think things instead of verbalizing them.  In my opinion, this should have been one of those times for Malik.  I think he'll have a solid NFL career.  To characterize the things he had to endure as a college player as somehow awful, well, like TrashMasterG stated above, he may regret saying that one day.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Sometimes, it's best just to think things instead of verbalizing them.  In my opinion, this should have been one of those times for Malik.  I think he'll have a solid NFL career.  To characterize the things he had to endure as a college player as somehow awful, well, like TrashMasterG stated above, he may regret saying that one day.

This

Whether he was right to leave this year or not, I have no problem with what he says here. It is ridiculous that guys like him are not being paid given how much they work and the amount of money they generate for their school. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sidney Sherman said:

Must be rough "trying to eat dining hall food" and having the extreme pressures of waking up early, NOT getting paid for NONE of that.

Glad all the "hollywood" defensive guys from the Charlie Weak era are leaving.

Your use of "Charlie Weak" is extremely pitiful and very aggy. That alone deserved a neg, but you didn't stop there.

Malik's a guy who's worked his ass off, been a great face of the program, dealt with bad coaching his first two years, continued to be a team leader even through the coaching change, and just captained one of the best defenses we've had in a while.  The fact that you're glad Charlie guys, like Malik, Poona,  and Deshon Elliott are leaving is unbelievably stupid.  Those guys (Holton Hill excluded obviously) were all hard workers who didn't cause any problems off the field and proved to be very good players once they received some competent coaching.  

27 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I guess I really don't see what was so bad about what he said.  I mean he was a guy that everyone assumed would be a 3 and done guy from the get go.  Now he's verbalizing that being an NFL player is a lot better than being a college player.  What's to regret? 

It's all about perspective. A lot of people were broke and scraping together meals during college, so they would've given a lot to have the accommodations current football players have.  However, if they were a surefire NFL prospect instead of some average joe, and had to do all this stuff and not get paid until they were eligible, they'd likely feel the same way as Malik. Sure, Malik could've worded it better and not sounded quite so entitled, but bashing him for that is just ridiculous.  See post above as an example.

• Like 2

He wanted to get paid for a profession with an unusually short shelf life and is oddly set up for him to go through some sort of unneeded apprentice system for the profitability of others.  That makes sense in most professions.  I actually like he was so candid about how a lot of these guys are approaching or taking feedback from the draft committee.  Seems like maybe the draft committee needs to review what they're evaluating because if feels like there's way more guys who think and decide like Malik then don't in college football today..... Go get paid, you only have so many hits in your body. 

Often, the NFL rookie draft  contract slotting system actually promotes these decisions.... probably unwittingly.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

It's all about perspective. A lot of people were broke and scraping together meals during college, so they would've given a lot to have the accommodations current football players have.  However, if they were a surefire NFL prospect instead of some average joe, and had to do all this stuff and not get paid until they were eligible, they'd likely feel the same way as Malik. Sure, Malik could've worded it better and not sounded quite so entitled, but bashing him for that is just ridiculous.  See post above as an example.

I think it probably has more to do with what a lot of people would given up to be a football star more so than the accommodations.  I imagine a lot of people here aren't rags to riches stories and had ample accommodations their whole life. 

I'm glad for him that he's cashing in on all his hard work, and as said above, what he said isn't anything crazy or should be thought of as controversial.  

I think of being in college as being one of the best times of my life and my college experience was pretty milquetoast.  I'm pretty sure with his life in the NFL he won't feel too bad about missing out on book, a lower grade of chicks (arguably) , being on a tight budget etc.

An injury can end your career or at least your season and drop you many rounds in the draft.  He checked out on a high note.  If you are to believe aggy, he's so head injury prone that they had to take a pass on him lest his brains spill out on the sacred grass or fake grass of the Pyle field.  

I skipped the Texas Bowl too.    I’m with you in that I think it’s a fucking cheesedick thing to do..  but at the same time the Texas bowl means literally fucking nothing. I’m several beers in right now and I can’t even remember if we won or not. Nor do I really give a shit.  It’s the Texas bowl. I’d almost rather not even go to a bowl. 

• Fuck You 3

By leaving in 2018 and being drafted in the 3rd Round vs leaving in 2019 and being drafted in the 1st Round, he gets to his 2nd contract TWO years sooner, isn't that right? (1st round contracts are one year longer than other rounds?)

It sounds like he would have been dumb to go back.

2 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

I thought Jefferson was a leader?  What a lame quote.  Sounds like he thought he was  a "slave" for the Universiy.  

You’re a fucking moron. He never said anything about being a slave. Only that he could get paid to do the same thing he is now and maximize his abilities by going pro, which is true. He’ll become a better football player faster by devoting all his time and resources to focusing solely on football. Donovan Mitchell had a quote to that effect earlier in the NBA season. 

You bringing up the word slave unprompted is ridiculous. Go fuck yourself. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chuychanga said:

I skipped the Texas Bowl too.    I’m with you in that I think it’s a fucking cheesedick thing to do..  but at the same time the Texas bowl means literally fucking nothing. I’m several beers in right now and I can’t even remember if we won or not. Nor do I really give a shit.  It’s the Texas bowl. I’d almost rather not even go to a bowl. 

So it's not just me?

By leaving in 2018 and being drafted in the 3rd Round vs leaving in 2019 and being drafted in the 1st Round, he gets to his 2nd contract TWO years sooner, isn't that right? (1st round contracts are one year longer than other rounds?)

It sounds like he would have been dumb to go back.
Most first rounder money is guaranteed, (first 10-15 spots pretty much all of it) most 3rd rounder money is not. It's a gamble for sure, but simply being drafted doesn't mean he earns a starting job or even a roster spot..

In other words, he's got a lot of work ahead just to get to that second contract, whereas high first rounders have too much money invested in them for teams to quickly give up and toss them aside if they don't pan out as fast as they'd like.

14 minutes ago, ousux said:

Most first rounder money is guaranteed, (first 10-15 spots pretty much all of it) most 3rd rounder money is not. It's a gamble for sure, but simply being drafted doesn't mean he earns a starting job or even a roster spot..

In other words, he's got a lot of work ahead just to get to that second contract, whereas high first rounders have too much money invested in them for teams to quickly give up and toss them aside if they don't pan out as fast as they'd like.

3rd rounders are practically guaranteed to make the squad, unless they are injured or simply don't care. They almost always make the roster the first 2 years. By that point, he will have learned the position well enough and avoided the hits that a starter has endured and will then be able to thrive in his "contract year".

With his physical abilities, as long as he wants to play the game, he will be able to make a roster for at least 5 years, if not 10.

10 minutes ago, pacman said:

I really don't understand why it is so difficult to just appreciate the time a player spent on campus and wish him well in the NFL.

I mean how are we going to keep the stereotype of our fanbase being entitled pussies going????  This is a new website, we have some work to do....

16 minutes ago, pacman said:

I really don't understand why it is so difficult to just appreciate the time a player spent on campus and wish him well in the NFL.

dude.  we’re thin at LB next season.  motherfucker should have put his life on hold and tried to help us win the big XII in 2018.  selfish prick. 

I would've done the same in his situation. Maybe it wouldn't have been worth it before the rookie cap, given that he might've been a 1st rounder after this coming season and the money would've been ridiculous, but it's certainly not a bad decision today. Surprised that the dining hall food wasn't up to snuff though. Thought they got the gourmet stuff in the special cafeteria.

56 minutes ago, pacman said:

I wish him well as all Texas players in the NFL. Weak statement though, these huge NFL contracts inflate some guys egos. Guaranteed a humble, hard working Connor Williams has a better career. He also skipped the Texas bowl, but he didn't badmouth the University, and will be invited back to talk to the kids at Texas in the future.

Edited by Sidney Sherman