Malik Jefferson

Machinator

Seems like we’ve had nothing but paper warriors in this program for a decade. Texas has the reputation of producing soft unprepared NFL talent. The last elite player we’ve produced was Earl Thomas in 2009. We need to shed this reputation at some point

Dude Kenny Vaccaro did just fine. 'Elite'? Don't know, but Kenny was not soft nor unprepared.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I don't think NFL coaches teach anything anymore, other than how to implement their schemes.

Lots of excuses for a guy who just wasn't a good NFL linebacker. It should be pretty easy to accept. If I didn't make it in the NFL, I don't think people would blame Orlando and Brian Jean-Mary or the Browns and Bengals.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Seems like we’ve had nothing but paper warriors in this program for a decade. Texas has the reputation of producing soft unprepared NFL talent. The last elite player we’ve produced was Earl Thomas in 2009. We need to shed this reputation at some point

Poona Ford says hello.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Hell, Dickson left early and got drafted as a punter. I'd say he's done all right with first team all-pro recognition as a rookie.  
What about Tucker? Can’t forget about him.
Lots of excuses for a guy who just wasn't a good NFL linebacker. It should be pretty easy to accept. If I didn't make it in the NFL, I don't think people would blame Orlando and Brian Jean-Mary or the Browns and Bengals.

I’m not making excuses for him. I’m sure in HS, he just out athleted everyone. He did or tried most of the time in college. He wasn’t going to be able to do that in the NFL. I think most people agreed that he needed work to succeed and learn how to play the position.

23 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

I literally don't understand. He has all the physical tools. Even for the NFL, he's an above average talent. If I had that, I would not get cut.

Man you better watch out, 'fore Katie Nolan finds a way to inject you with Mailk's talent, get you signed by the Browns, and then tells you to go not get cut.

17 hours ago, Bevo said:

I wasn't making an excuse. I was simply saying the NFL doesn't teach - they implement and utilize. They expect players to know what they need to know, or they'll find one that does.

18 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

never understood why he wasn't an end rusher / speed rusher at UT ?

Charlie%20Strong

5 hours ago, Foosters said:

Are there a lot of soft high school players that come into college and have those traits instilled?  

I'd say ask mack but I'm not sure if he'd give you an honest answer...

Like most highly recruited players at Texas, Malik was coddled too much and was given a celebrity status even before he proved himself. Most players can't fight through the fame to maintain their edge, but some do. You can blame LHN for the culture we now have at Texas. Poona, not being drafted, was probably the best thing that could have happened to his pro career assuming he stays healthy until the next contract.

16 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Like most highly recruited players at Texas, Malik was coddled too much and was given a celebrity status even before he proved himself. Most players can't fight through the fame to maintain their edge, but some do. You can blame LHN for the culture we now have at Texas. Poona, not being drafted, was probably the best thing that could have happened to his pro career assuming he stays healthy until the next contract.

Seriously?

14 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

our downfall perfectly coincided with 2 things:

1) the launch of LHN

2) @Snacks starting We are Going to Win threads

these are facts.

Did LHN have final say in roster evaluations post 2005? Because if it did, then I agree with you 1000%. Also, fuck those grey slacks. 

Edited by Vertigo

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 6:25 PM, Vertigo said:

Did LHN have final say in roster evaluations post 2005? Because if it did, then I agree with you 1000%. Also, fuck those grey slacks. 

Our downfall started at 11:25 left in the first quarter against Alabama in January 2010.  

Bidding between ESPN and FOX for the LHN began in ...2010

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 11/14/2019 at 4:48 PM, ShowMeALoss said:

Yeah, no about Poona.  He should have been drafted and deserved to be drafted.  Anyone that watched that defense knows all of our success was because Poona was absolutely unblockable.  He was given all the accolades, first team big 12 and big 12 DL of the year.  No one doubted Poona would be a beast in the league that watched him actually play.  Stupid ass nfl gms still care about height after a guy like Aaron Donald is kicking everyone’s ass.   Him being drafted wouldn’t have had any impact on his play.  

Malik was also a great ambassador for Texas and he played well enough for us to get drafted.  He simply doesn’t have it for the pros whether it be injury or talent.  Has nothing to do with him being coddled or not being able to handle fame.  He actually represented the university with class given all the attention on him.  The problem with Malik is that he simply is not physical enough to shed blocks.  His elite speed is useless if you can’t get around the blocker.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yeah, no about Poona.  He should have been drafted and deserved to be drafted.  Anyone that watched that defense knows all of our success was because Poona was absolutely unblockable.  He was given all the accolades, first team big 12 and big 12 DL of the year.  No one doubted Poona would be a beast in the league that watched him actually play.  Stupid ass nfl gms still care about height after a guy like Aaron Donald is kicking everyone’s ass.   Him being drafted wouldn’t have had any impact on his play.  

Malik was also a great ambassador for Texas and he played well enough for us to get drafted.  He simply doesn’t have it for the pros whether it be injury or talent.  Has nothing to do with him being coddled or not being able to handle fame.  He actually represented the university with class given all the attention on him.  The problem with Malik is that he simply is not physical enough to shed blocks.  His elite speed is useless if you can’t get around the blocker.  

I don't disagree with you but I feel like too many of our highly rated guys don't pan out and I attribute that to our recent culture prior to Herman arriving here. Hopefully, this changes and we have a higher hit rate with the 5 stars.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/13/2019 at 9:21 PM, ShowMeALoss said:

Poona Ford says hello.

Jordan Hicks and Keenan Robinson did alright, too. Malcom Brown and few other DL did well took. Hell, the fact that guys like Adrian Phillips and Carrington Byndom played a few seasons tells me it’s been the coaching that has ruined great athletes.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...
On 9/15/2020 at 4:20 PM, Auto Driller said:

I wouldn't have guessed that he'd end up fighting for a practice squad spot. The smartest thing for him now may be to finish his degree and start planning for life after football.

So many of the "good citizen" type early entrants seem to graduate in three, I'm a bit surprised Malik didn't.

He's fast and big and agile -- I'd give him a look as an RB. Didn't he run for a bazillion yards in HS? 

If some superathletic MLB players can go from pitching to the outfield and have success, I don't know why a LB couldn't become an RB. I think the only reason coaches and GMs don't do this is because other coaches and GMs haven't done it. 

It's probably too late for Malik but if you have a guy like that and his problems are things like shedding blocks, overpursuit, misreading plays, and not wrapping up, hell, try him out on the other side of the ball.