Malik Jefferson

Machinator

2 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

You’re a fucking moron. He never said anything about being a slave. Only that he could get paid to do the same thing he is now and maximize his abilities by going pro, which is true. He’ll become a better football player faster by devoting all his time and resources to focusing solely on football. Donovan Mitchell had a quote to that effect earlier in the NBA season. 

You bringing up the word slave unprompted is ridiculous. Go fuck yourself. 

You're a lawyer?  Ha!  No you aren't you little whiner.  Of course he didn't say anything about being a slave.  That's why my post never mentioned him saying that in the quote.  He did have something to say about not getting paid twice in one sentence though, which is why I said "sounds like he thought he was being a slave".  M'kay Mr. lawnghorn?

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, PRONG HORN said:

You're a lawyer?  Ha!  No you aren't you little whiner.  Of course he didn't say anything about being a slave.  That's why my post never mentioned him saying that in the quote.  He did have something to say about not getting paid twice in one sentence though, which is why I said "sounds like he thought he was being a slave".  M'kay Mr. lawnghorn?

Yeah. I understand where you got that from. It doesn’t make your post any less idiotic.

It sounds like you may be sensitive to a situation where a player actually says that playing sports in college or professionally is similar to being a "slave" to the man.  If I just imply that maybe Malik thinks that, and that makes my post idiotic, you could be sensitive.  I'm just not as sensitive as you in that regard.  

• Fuck You 1

44 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

It sounds like you may be sensitive to a situation where a player actually says that playing sports in college or professionally is similar to being a "slave" to the man.  If I just imply that maybe Malik thinks that, and that makes my post idiotic, you could be sensitive.  I'm just not as sensitive as you in that regard.  

Lulz. Classic back tracking. You’ve changed the term to “slave to the man” instead of referring  to actual slavery like you did earlier and now you changed it to you “imply[ing] that maybe Malik thinks that.” You didn’t imply that; you literally said that. 

You brought slavery into something that Malik never did. He can mention he doesn’t get paid without thinking he’s a slave. He was part of a bad economic model and he expains why he opted to leave it. Jumping right to slavery is ridiculous. I pointed that out and now you’re back tracking. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Lulz. Classic back tracking. You’ve changed the term to “slave to the man” instead of referring  to actual slavery like you did earlier and now you changed it to you “imply[ing] that maybe Malik thinks that.” You didn’t imply that; you literally said that. 

You brought slavery into something that Malik never did. He can mention he doesn’t get paid without thinking he’s a slave. He was part of a bad economic model and he expains why he opted to leave it. Jumping right to slavery is ridiculous. I pointed that out and now you’re back tracking. 

I didn't change any term.  Do you think I was referring to "actual slavery" in my original post?  Did you not understand what the quotes around the word slave meant in my original post?  Do you understand why the word slave in my previous sentence doesn't require quotes like it did in my original post?  Did you really type the following sentence?

"You brought slavery into something that Malik never did"

I hope you're one hell of a public speaker because practicing law is about exact language, and the complete comprehension and manipulation of that language.  Here is my original post if you want to start over tomorrow after you're had some sleep.

I thought Jefferson was a leader?  What a lame quote.  Sounds like he thought he was  a "slave" for the Universiy.

Whether he was right to leave this year or not, I have no problem with what he says here. It is ridiculous that guys like him are not being paid given how much they work and the amount of money they generate for their school. 

He is being compensated fairly for his worth. There is no market for semi-pro football.

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

He is being compensated fairly for his worth. There is no market for semi-pro football.

Are you saying that you believe Malik wouldn’t receive any additional compensation for playing football up to this point if it was a completely free market or if the NCAA didn’t have a rule making a player ineligible if they receive payment?

Are you saying that you believe Malik wouldn’t receive any additional compensation for playing football up to this point if it was a completely free market or if the NCAA didn’t have a rule making a player ineligible if they receive payment?

I’m saying there’s no market for semi-pro football. The product is inflated due to tradition. Remove the Longhorn decal off Malik’s helmet and he’s playing in front of hundreds at the Burger Center for the Austin Wranglers.

In a world where the NFL is like international soccer and plucks Malik as a 15-year old for their junior team, I’ll re-evaluate my assessment of his potential value.

Clearly there is no market value for these players.  It's simple, on April 25th nobody in the country had ever heard of these guys and then over the next few days they just happened to be the names that were called.  If there was a market for them prior to April 26 then wouldn't you see reports of people paying these guys?  I know the NCAA forbids that, but still if the market was strong enough someone would have skirted the rules.

He did what he thought was best for him.  Good luck to the young man and I appreciate his effort here.  Doesn't make him selfish.  It's his life and football is a violent sport.  You never know how long you have.  I always try to imagine a choice like this if it were my son.  I probably wouldn't be averse to my son going to make money while he can.

18 minutes ago, Scholz said:

He did what he thought was best for him.  Good luck to the young man and I appreciate his effort here.  Doesn't make him selfish.  It's his life and football is a violent sport.  You never know how long you have.  I always try to imagine a choice like this if it were my son.  I probably wouldn't be averse to my son going to make money while he can.

Sure, I agree completly.

If your son made that statement about the university afterwards, would you sit back and say nothing to him about it?

3 minutes ago, Sidney Sherman said:

Sure, I agree completly.

If your son made that statement about the university afterwards, would you sit back and say nothing to him about it?

What, the bit about wanting to make money for himself vs the university?  I don't have a problem with that at all.  Collegiate football makes a ton of money of these guys.

25 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Clearly there is no market value for these players.  It's simple, on April 25th nobody in the country had ever heard of these guys and then over the next few days they just happened to be the names that were called.  If there was a market for them prior to April 26 then wouldn't you see reports of people paying these guys?  I know the NCAA forbids that, but still if the market was strong enough someone would have skirted the rules.

We know many, many players who were paid under the table. Cam Newton came with a price tag of at least a few hundred thousand. That may be the high end of the market, but that is also the high end of risky, illegal payments. Many others have talked about getting thousands of dollars from boosters.

College eats up the oxygen for a true football minor league. But I am certain if college football ceases to exist a minor league would quickly spring up and it would be filled with guys easily getting paid well into the mid-six figures that none of us will have heard of until they get called up to the NFL. Geez, right now Baylor could pay each of their 85-man roster $100,000 a season and still reap $22M in revenue just from their largely unearned share of the Big 12's T1/2 contract.

34 minutes ago, Horseshoe Lounge said:

it is a bad look for malik playing the victim card and throwing others under the bus. he better show up ready to work and handle his business in the nfl, or he wont make it very far

He did absolutely none of what you accuse him of doing.

He’s just trying to justify his mistake by making up some mumbo jumbo to back up him leaving early.   He should have come back, the professionals told him he needed to come back and then his draft position verified that he needed to come back. 

He’ll make some money a year earlier,  but is that worth the difference of staying one more year and being a 1st rounder (which I think he would have if he had another good season on tape)??   

1 hour ago, Horseshoe Lounge said:

it is a bad look for malik playing the victim card and throwing others under the bus. he better show up ready to work and handle his business in the nfl, or he wont make it very far

You might consider actually reading his quote before sounding off next time.

4 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

He’s just trying to justify his mistake by making up some mumbo jumbo to back up him leaving early.   He should have come back, the professionals told him he needed to come back and then his draft position verified that he needed to come back

He’ll make some money a year earlier,  but is that worth the difference of staying one more year and being a 1st rounder (which I think he would have if he had another good season on tape)??   

Explain "he should have come back". What should he have come back for? A chance to be a first round pick? He was provided the information he needed to make a decision, used that information to make his decision, and has never apologized for the decision he made. In fact, he provided a well-reasoned explanation of why he made his decision. This "he should have come back" bullshit reeks of paternalism and college fan-boy "he owes the school" (read: "me") entitlement. He doesn't owe the fans anything, and as far as what he owes UT, the University got a lot more value out of him than he did out of his scholarship for three years. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

He’s just trying to justify his mistake by making up some mumbo jumbo to back up him leaving early.   He should have come back, the professionals told him he needed to come back and then his draft position verified that he needed to come back. 

Username does not check out

One of my son’s friends dropped out of engineering school after his freshman year to take a job with a fiber optics company paying $10,000 a month. He said he’d eventually get his degree, and knowing his family, I think he will. 

I had no problem with his decision, so it’s hard for me to be too critical of Malik...other than for his lackluster play for most of his time at Texas. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 11:01 AM, Scholz said:

What, the bit about wanting to make money for himself vs the university?  I don't have a problem with that at all.  Collegiate football makes a ton of money of these guys.

I think Malik played for three years and reached above-average his final year.  Guys like him are easily replaceable.  He does not make Texas money.  He got as much from Texas as he gave.  VY, Colt, Ricky, Cedric, Jamaal, Roy, Shipley, Sergio Kindle, Lamar Houston, Huff, Ross, etc were the types that make Texas money and took less from Texas than they received back.  Malik was never some star player.  He was above average, never great.  Most of these players that aren't the stars are getting a hell of a deal.  Most get back more than the value they provide.  And most are guaranteed 4 years of scholarship so long as they work hard and stay out of trouble, even if they never play.

And much of the value in college ball is from the name on the front of the jersey, not the back (outside of starts like VY/Ricky).  An NBA d league would kick the shit out of the Longhorns, but the Longhorns basketball team generates a hell of a lot more cash.  Because of the name on the front.

Have zero problem with any player leaving early though.  I just disagree that guys like Malik add anything to the bottom line.  Too easy to replace.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 2

More power to Malik. He played hard for the program. I hope he achieves success and reflects well on UT. 

However, something bothers me about his statement: 

“I threw the papers away,” Jefferson said. “It’s not really good feedback.

First of all, why state this? A thank you to the scouts who graded him would have sufficed. Perhaps he did thank them, but stating this only makes him look ungrateful for the help.

Secondly, I think it's partly a reflection of how he played. He did exhibit issues about following instructions and experts have always said that by freelancing, he often took himself out of plays. Anyone in the NFL not named Lawrence Taylor will have a very short career if he is unable to do his assignment.    

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but my mom loves molehills. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

One of my son’s friends dropped out of engineering school after his freshman year to take a job with a fiber optics company paying $10,000 a month. He said he’d eventually get his degree, and knowing his family, I think he will. 

I had no problem with his decision, so it’s hard for me to be too critical of Malik...other than for his lackluster play for most of his time at Texas. 

Your sons friend is a piece of shit just like Malik. Makes me sick thinking about these ungrateful primo donnas who don't respect the University of TEXAS and just want to be "paid" for their "labor". And he's a fucking idiot because he could come back and play for free for the greatest football team on God's green earth for another year and instead he goes and signs a contract making him a millionaire! Fucking greedy 20 year olds ruining our great University and state and country. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

it's not like his other option was to be an engineer at google or a lawyer.  if it were, he would've stayed in school.  he saw his future in football.  he wanted to be paid for paying football.  not a got damned thing wrong with that.  leaving early expedited that goal.

his statements aren't directed at UT.  his statements are directed at being a student athlete and if that compensation is fair.   for a long time , student athletes from across the country have been raising that question. 

Edited by crash_davis

10 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Your sons friend is a piece of shit just like Malik. Makes me sick thinking about these ungrateful primo donnas who don't respect the University of TEXAS and just want to be "paid" for their "labor". And he's a fucking idiot because he could come back and play for free for the greatest football team on God's green earth for another year and instead he goes and signs a contract making him a millionaire! Fucking greedy 20 year olds ruining our great University and state and country. 

Prima... unless they’re top notch donnas. 

11 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I think Malik played for three years and reached above-average his final year.  Guys like him are easily replaceable.  He does not make Texas money.  He got as much from Texas as he gave.  VY, Colt, Ricky, Cedric, Jamaal, Roy, Shipley, Sergio Kindle, Lamar Houston, Huff, Ross, etc were the types that make Texas money and took less from Texas than they received back.  Malik was never some star player.  He was above average, never great.  Most of these players that aren't the stars are getting a hell of a deal.  Most get back more than the value they provide.  And most are guaranteed 4 years of scholarship so long as they work hard and stay out of trouble, even if they never play.

And much of the value in college ball is from the name on the front of the jersey, not the back (outside of starts like VY/Ricky).  An NBA d league would kick the shit out of the Longhorns, but the Longhorns basketball team generates a hell of a lot more cash.  Because of the name on the front.

Have zero problem with any player leaving early though.  I just disagree that guys like Malik add anything to the bottom line.  Too easy to replace.

On the field, he can be replaced.

Off the field, he was invaluable. 

Whole buncha people on the rag in this thread.  Don’t see the big deal. Malik represented the school well while here. He had a pretty good freshman year, pretty bad soph year and a very good year last year. He was a key component of the defense getting much better last year, but wasn’t really missed in the bowl game.  Wish him well and move on. I think he will develop and be a good pro, and hope he earns a big contract in 3-4 years.  Always seemed like a great kid and easy to wish him success. 

On 5/17/2018 at 10:59 AM, Hank Scorpio said:

Is my sarcasm meter in need of calibration or is this serious bizness?

On 5/15/2018 at 9:59 PM, Sidney Sherman said:

I wish him well as all Texas players in the NFL. Weak statement though, these huge NFL contracts inflate some guys egos. Guaranteed a humble, hard working Connor Williams has a better career. He also skipped the Texas bowl, but he didn't badmouth the University, and will be invited back to talk to the kids at Texas in the future.

Weak statement? You're projecting quite a bit of bullshit on to Malik.

Bottom line, Malik did whatever it took to secure a job that pays, at minimum, $465k out of college. That doesn't include any up front signing bonus.